Free Sat Nav Maps from Google (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just spotted this today.. a welcome development :Smile:

Free Google sat-nav shakes market

Shares in sat-nav device companies have fallen substantially after Google unveiled its free live sat-nav for mobiles on Wednesday.

Sat-nav applications are also available for mobile phones

BBC NEWS | Business | Free Google sat-nav shakes market

Who needs paid Sat-Nav with free Google Maps?

With Google announcing that it is launching a free turn by turn sat-nav service using Google maps, are the days of Tom Tom and Garmin numbered? All the phone manufacturers need to do now is get a decent in-car cradle for a smart phone and I can't see why you would buy a $300+ sat nav for your car? Of course, the smartphone's screen won't be as good as a purpose built GPS, but with voice directions, it would probably be good enough.

With Google maps, it would also mean you could take your smart phone overseas and use it without having to buy expensive maps for each overseas destination. You would be hit with data charges though. Google maps also mean you would have all the local landmarks layed out for you (parks, service stations, etc).

But I think it is a win/win for consumers with the only losers being GPS manufacturers and Google's competitors.

Who needs paid Sat-Nav with free Google Maps? | Digihub Forum | digihub.brisbanetimes.com.au

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You may end up paying more in data charges overseas than, say, Copilot Live, would cost to buy.

But in you own country, looks good.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The sat nav/google on the i phone works well but not adequate for motoring navigation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Ive been in cars with the driver using his phone in a cradle with the tomtom software on it. Rubbish. It may have changed but they had to use a headset to get the instructions and the screen was so small it was pretty much useless. My TomTom one which is 100 years old has been the best techology investment ever. Its clear, large screened and loud and very easy to use. I cant see how this will ever be bettered on a mobile device and despite new developments in actual sat navs I have never upgraded, just updated the memory, software and maps. If it aint broken dont fix it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back