Free mh parking

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by trevosky, May 8, 2014.

1. trevosky

trevosky Read Only Funster

Street Somerset, if any of you fellow funsters ever visit Street possibly for the Clarks retail outlet shopping please do not risk parking in any of the pay and display car parks you will see sign posted as there is a FREE parking area and motorhomes welcomed only yards away from other payg parking, the post code is ba16 0bn, this will take you into Southleaze Orchard, at the end of that road as it bears left into Cranhill Road there is an entrance into a Free graveled parking area with no time restrictions but they do lock the gates at approx. 7pm. (I have seen many campers parked there overnight)... I hope this saves somebody a parking fine as I have seen too many campers with tickets as I walk through the car parks:Smile:

• Like Like x 9
  2. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

Why would a motor home get a ticket in a pay and display car park? Unless they have not paid, or have overstayed. In which case they should get a ticket?

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

probably by overhanging a single bay

• Like Like x 1
  4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

most likely oversized, ie bigger than bay parked in, even with 2 tickets it can still be deemed a breach of rules if not parked wholly in a bay

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Maybe they should only park if they fit in a single bay or it's not clear they should pay for 2 bays if they overhang. Could be other local regs they fall foul of?

Edit: What he said. :Rofl1:

Last edited: May 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. sandrae

sandrae Read Only Funster

The parking bays in Clarke's Village are very tight. You would be hard pushed to get a motorhome in most of them and I don't think it would be possible to use two bays in much of the car park because of the way it is designed. We struggle with our 5.5m van. It's also very busy and often difficult to find a space plus the traffic wardens are very keen. Much better to use the designated van parking area. It's only a very short walk. :BigGrin:

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

See the Clarks Village entry Here. I presume that the area mentioned in the OP is the one which Clarks Village management referred to in their response.

8. Abacist

Abacist Funster

Free Motorhome Parking

I have seen a couple of examples of public car parks excluding vehicles in excess of 3,500 Kgs which excludes us bigger MH's from them.

A recent example of this was seen in Abergavenny - so that was that, I returned to the van and drove off and we didn't buy anything or spend anything there so good luck to them.

Car park was mostly empty at the time!

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Usually a very good reason. The car parks are constructed to cope with cars and vans, rather than heavier commercial vehicles. Use by heavier vehicles can cause foundation damage.

10. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

If you look carefully on streetview you will see that the area the OP refers to has a sign saying Clarks Village caravan and camper can parking"

• Like Like x 2