maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
The 'old hands' like JJ who have done it for years without causing a problem know where to park up during the day and where to park up at night to sleep and then move on the next .. I don't call them freeloaders..
Right we are now getting somewhere; I have read the post and can see the problem is in the term free-loader may be we should call them free-spirts ,because most of the free-spirts I have had the pleasure of being with care very much for their environment .So if we referred to campsite users

As the Milldrews you would take offence ,so please when the Itinerants spoil it don’t blame us

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
This year we have also noted a number of continental motorhome users are "monopolising space" by putting out water bottles and reserving views in wild parking areas in Spain. This will lead to further clamp downs. We were told that even using a roof top satellite dish was camping by a Guardia Officer.

I contacted PACA an equivalent organisation in Spain to "The Motorhome Tourism Organisation" and their former president replied.

Dear John, many thanks for making me an inquiry. Unfortunately in Spain laws are not like you the perceived. In fact, the laws of the road (INSTRUCTION 08/V-74 FROM THE SPANISH DIRECTOR GENERAL OF TRAFFIC RELATIVE TO MOTORHOMES ) apply only to movement and parking of an empty autocaravan, as a vehicle. But using a motorhome as accommodation is considered under the laws governing same camping. These laws are different in the 17 autonomous communities of Spain who have independence to enact these laws.

There are also laws that prohibit using a motorhome as accommodation in the area from the coast by a law regulating the use of a dividing strip on the coast. (Up to 500m from the coastal markers). Mainly in Spain prohibition is to spend the night outside a camping protecting the interests of businessmen of camping. In fact, except in the Basque Country and Navarre, spending the night in a motorhome is not legal. But these rules are only enforced in some locations, in most of the Spanish territory is allowed to stay overnight in a motorhome, but not because it is a right protected by law. The risk of being denounced and punished economically there, especially on the coast.

The application of laws on camping is used strictly in Asturias, Cantabria and some towns of the coast of the Mediterranean Sea. The municipal areas for motorhomes are exceptions. Instruction 08 / V-74 has no application absolutely in the use of motorhomes as accommodation, only applies to parking under the laws of the road. This is possible in Spain for independence in the regions to make laws on issues such as camping.

Europe

I know, there have been a couple of appeals to the Chamber in the European Union in Brussels about the unification of criteria among member countries on the use of motorhomes as accommodation. The response has been that it is a domestic issue that should regulate each country.

I feel have seemed pessimistic because the legal answer is negative in Spain especially for Spanish campers although enforcement of the laws on camping is not very strict, however, every year a few hundred penalties which will occur up to 400€.

Sincerely, Arsenio Gutiérrez

Last edited:

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Thanks for all the info :) gonna be freeloading after leaving Pedros Monday :) now where's that JJ fella for some more tips :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This year we have also noted a number of continental motorhome users are "monopolising space" by putting out water bottles and reserving views in wild parking areas in Spain. This will lead to further clamp downs. We were told that even using a roof top satellite dish was camping by a Guardia Officer.

I contacted PACA an equivalent organisation in Spain to "The Motorhome Tourism Organisation" and their former president replied.

Dear John, many thanks for making me an inquiry. Unfortunately in Spain laws are not like you the perceived. In fact, the laws of the road (INSTRUCTION 08/V-74 FROM THE SPANISH DIRECTOR GENERAL OF TRAFFIC RELATIVE TO MOTORHOMES ) apply only to movement and parking of an empty autocaravan, as a vehicle. But using a motorhome as accommodation is considered under the laws governing same camping. These laws are different in the 17 autonomous communities of Spain who have independence to enact these laws.

There are also laws that prohibit using a motorhome as accommodation in the area from the coast by a law regulating the use of a dividing strip on the coast. (Up to 500m from the coastal markers). Mainly in Spain prohibition is to spend the night outside a camping protecting the interests of businessmen of camping. In fact, except in the Basque Country and Navarre, spending the night in a motorhome is not legal. But these rules are only enforced in some locations, in most of the Spanish territory is allowed to stay overnight in a motorhome, but not because it is a right protected by law. The risk of being denounced and punished economically there, especially on the coast.

The application of laws on camping is used strictly in Asturias, Cantabria and some towns of the coast of the Mediterranean Sea. The municipal areas for motorhomes are exceptions. Instruction 08 / V-74 has no application absolutely in the use of motorhomes as accommodation, only applies to parking under the laws of the road. This is possible in Spain for independence in the regions to make laws on issues such as camping.

Europe

I know, there have been a couple of appeals to the Chamber in the European Union in Brussels about the unification of criteria among member countries on the use of motorhomes as accommodation. The response has been that it is a domestic issue that should regulate each country.

I feel have seemed pessimistic because the legal answer is negative in Spain especially for Spanish campers although enforcement of the laws on camping is not very strict, however, every year a few hundred penalties which will occur up to 400€.

Sincerely, Arsenio Gutiérrez
Interesting John, thanks for that.

Basically he appears to be saying that there isn't all that much difference between what some are able to get away with in Spain, because their laws are less rigorously enforced than they might be, and what some pubs are able to get away with in the UK, because of the way in which the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 is less rigorously enforced than it could be :)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Off-Site motorhomers will normally give others the "heads up" of good places to visit.

With all the data available through the internet and the aires books it is easy to find places to stop for a little while.

To be honest though, when I find a genuinely peaceful, off-site spot which is not used by other vans, I tend to be reluctant to let everyone know about it in a selfish attempt to keep it peaceful. :rofl:

Real Portugal has so many suitable stop over places it is a motorhoming paradise. If you are on your own, or maybe with one other van, I can't see anyone bothering you.

However...

It seems that the hugely increased numbers of French vans in the Algarve this year (after they were advised not to go to Morocco) has led to some formerly nice quiet spots becoming too crowded for the likes of me.

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back