Free Full Version Of Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Windows 10.JPG
I've just noticed the Windows icon has appeared in my task bar offering me an upgrade - will wait to see how everyone gets on before I press the button....:)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
:thanks3:

Just seen the upgrade icon, bottom right, on the screen tool bar.
I'll check the laptop later.
Jock thanks for this. I too have just looked and seen the upgrade button too. I wonder how long it has been there?

I agree that MS historically get every other Windows edition right. So in ethe recent past XP was good, Vista was awful, 7 was good, 8 was bad. So we are due a good un. I have 7 at the moment and, like others have said, I wont be updating until I have seen some feedback from the guinea pigs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As Gromett says WMP goes with install of Win10. Would suggest you replace this with VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en_GB.html). Used it with various flavours of Windows and Linux and found it excellent (if you ignore one issue with one 64bit version).

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As Gromett says WMP goes with install of Win10. Would suggest you replace this with VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en_GB.html). Used it with various flavours of Windows and Linux and found it excellent (if you ignore one issue with one 64bit version).
Yup, VLC is fantastic as a player. It has no library feature though which some WMP users like for some reason...

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Just seen the upgrade icon, bottom right, on the screen tool bar.
I'll check the laptop later.
Well, after carrying out the latest updates on the laptop with Win 7 Home Premium OS, I find that I don't have the MS icon in the task bar, to reserve the Win 10 update, and yet it appears on the PC with the same OS and updates. :(

Anyone got any ideas why that might be please? It is a genuine MS product.

Cheers,

Jock.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well, after carrying out the latest updates on the laptop with Win 7 Home Premium OS, I find that I don't have the MS icon in the task bar

I had the same issue.. on my Dell laptop.. no problem on the Desktop PC

try updating Windows again Jock, then reboot... sorted it for me

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
W10 is receiving decent reviews from the more serious & cynical press. I'll be upgrading. I'm also someone who bought the W7 family pack (use on three PCs at a reduced price). I wonder if I'll get 3 free upgrades.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No chance Jim, as system is currently up to date.

No worries, we've got plenty of time from 29th July onwards.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

ok.. seems odd..
according to Microsoft the only reason you don't see the 10 update window is if still needs updates downloaded. .. I assume to did a 'Check For Updates' manually ?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It has appeared on mine. must have a look how to remove that irritating icon.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I assume to did a 'Check For Updates' manually ?
Aye Jim, and that's twice I've done it manually today. The first time it said "system up to date", then I tried again, and 1 x important update and 5 x optional updates appeared, so I downloaded, installed, and rebooted. it won't let me update any further.

Cheers,

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Two laptops and one desktop all fully updated Win7 with no icon for Win10 as yet however sons desktop got the icon a few days ago.
Wonder if they've got the notification on a "phased release"?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Wonder if they've got the notification on a "phased release"?
It wouldn't surprise me. If everyone tries to download at the same time their servers will be overloaded. I believe android OS updates are similarly phased.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It wouldn't surprise me. If everyone tries to download at the same time their servers will be overloaded. I believe android OS updates are similarly phased.

yes, but it's not been released yet.. at present, you are just registering an interest .. so no server load.

as I said earlier.. check and double check Windows is fully up to date.. if you are positive that's ok, then you are either not eligible, have no Microsoft account, or you don't have the system requirements..

System requirements
Basically, if your PC can run Windows 8.1, you're good to go. If you're not sure, don't worry – Windows will check your system to make sure it can install the preview.

• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

• RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

• Free hard disk space: 16 GB

• Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

• A Microsoft account and Internet access

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm not going to update as I want all the stuff I use to continue to run correctly.... like my accounts program and the control program for my sewing machine.

Going from XP to 7 was enough of a nightmare :)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
yes, but it's not been released yet.. at present, you are just registering an interest .. so no server load.

as I said earlier.. check and double check Windows is fully up to date.. if you are positive that's ok, then you are either not eligible, have no Microsoft account, or you don't have the system requirements..

System requirements
Basically, if your PC can run Windows 8.1, you're good to go. If you're not sure, don't worry – Windows will check your system to make sure it can install the preview.

• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

• RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

• Free hard disk space: 16 GB

• Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

• A Microsoft account and Internet access
Meet or well exceed all of the above on full retail versions of Win7 Pro and Home. Been running Win10 pre-release on a lower spec and OEM machine.
Not necessarily concerned at this time as wouldn't plan to be an early adopter.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
my netbook, windows 7 home premium bought new with updates turned on should be up to date yet no upgrade icon.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
my netbook, windows 7 home premium bought new with updates turned on should be up to date yet no upgrade icon.
I'm guessing but your netbook may not meet the system requirements. They tend to be optimised for battery life.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Jill and I both run Windows 8.1 laptops and the Vivobook I use in the van is also 8.1 (my laptop and the Vivobook upgraded from Windows 8). We have no problems with any of those machines so will be a bit wary about changing to Windows 10 (although all have the offer icon since last updates).
Over the last few years I have preferred to buy a new machine, rather than upgrade to a new OS, on the grounds that the old hardware may not be powerful enough to run the new OS as well as its native OS.
However, we also have Jill's old laptop (Windows 7 Premium) and the old van netbook (Windows 7 Starter) so I fired them up the other day and (after loading hundreds of updates) have registered them for the Windows 10 upgrade so that we can try it on non-critical machines first.

For @JockandRita, @Wildman and anyone else who is missing the upgrade icon, download the tool from Dropbox mentioned Here (you don't have to have a Dropbox account) and follow the simple instructions. The icon didn't appear when I updated the old netbook so I used the tool and it worked fine, allowing me to register the machine for the Windows 10 update.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
For Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed and anyone else who is missing the upgrade icon, download the tool from Dropbox mentioned Here (you don't have to have a Dropbox account) and follow the simple instructions.
Thanks for that Graham. (y)

I'll sort that one out when next on the laptop.

Cheers,

Reactions: GJH

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have double checked the system requirements and the netbook does not appear to have
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
so I am guessing that is the problem.
Thanks for the link Graham

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Got the icons on my lappies now!
I will try it out on one as if I don't like it I can do a restore to 8.1 which I do like!!!

Reactions: GJH

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have double checked the system requirements and the netbook does not appear to have
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
so I am guessing that is the problem.
Thanks for the link Graham

Most netbooks won't have a dedicated graphics card, it will be built into the motherboard (cheaper and more compact), but what version of DirectX it is compatible with is the question.
Try running the tool available from Microsoft - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq - that checks if it would upgrade to Windows 8.1 (it doesn't make any changes to your netbook - only checks compatibility with that OS). It will output a report that tells you if it will or, if not, what fails the requirements. If it passes that it will upgrade to Windows 10.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back