Free camper van parking in Cornwall reviewed (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Reply from Counsellor Sue Nicholas.

Dear Jim,
Thank you for your e mail, It has been useful to have this information and heartening to know that we are all concerned about inconsiderate owners.
I am collating all the suggestions I have had and will be meeting with fellow councillors and highways officers to see what we can sort out. Parking spaces are certainly a good idea which I feel could be looked at and limited nights.

Best wishes
Sue

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
I know this area well also and passed there today, twice,there was no more than 6 vans parked up there. Ive never seen the amount that's talked about in the article.As for no where for locals to park that's rubbish .
I think the problem is,in the text "free" and "campervan site crying out for people to go and park".
The problem is that the locals dont want people to visit unless their spending a lot of money.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've had a similar reply to the one which Jim has posted. Looks like a sensible, constructive debate is coming out of this. It would be nice if it created a model which could be used throughout the country.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
GASP GASP GASP

I've had a similar reply to the one which Jim has posted. Looks like a sensible, constructive debate is coming out of this. It would be nice if it created a model which could be used throughout the country.

Graham

Going on the past perfomance of the Cornwall Council on all matters followed by an indiginous minority, dont hold your breath!

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
The trouble with such rules as "one night in 7" is that they are almost impossible to supervise without having some complex traffic warden type of system - so the councils opt for the much easier "ban everybody" rule.

The trouble is with the minority who believe that they have the right to anything they wish for and that everyone else have no rights at all.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The trouble with such rules as "one night in 7" is that they are almost impossible to supervise without having some complex traffic warden type of system - so the councils opt for the much easier "ban everybody" rule.

The trouble is with the minority who believe that they have the right to anything they wish for and that everyone else have no rights at all.

Sadly, you may well be correct.. on both counts, the few usually spoil it for the many

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009

they could always put some of those numberplate recognition cameras up as they would then serve a double job as catching the tax and insurance dodgers aswell as monitoring the parking situation.
surely this would be able to be a fully automated system as they would only need to program it for if a repeat of numberplate occurs on subsequent scans in a given time scale.:thumb::thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Funny I should be just reading this, but we planned to do some local 'wild camping' over the weekend to test the gas - having just had it fixed....(i will post something regarding that, as it really is another story!)

Anyway, we popped up to the North Coast armed with my wilding list - and found that just about all of them are now banning overnighting. In the end, we eyed up a layby on the outskirts of bude (3 motorhomes are there tonight!) and we just noticed a sign that said 'Farm Campsite' - so we checked it out. Great little place, £8 a night...compare that with £21 up the road on a doubled up pitch and it was great!

But what was such a shame, was the fact that so many of these great little spots for wilding have been banned - probably due to mess or people taking advantage. I have no problem with people staying for a night or two even - but staying for two weeks really is unacceptable.

I treat anywhere wilding, the same as any campsite - leave nothing but tyre tracks. We take rubbish with us, I smoke but hang one of the dogs little bags on the outside in which to deposit my extinguished butts and take away with me (they don't smell in the bin that way and I cannot stand indoor smoking!)

With a little respect and consideration to the locals, neighbours and the environment we enjoy, wilding can be a nice escape from the normal campsite - but only for a night!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have found in talking to some of the travellers, that are often the long stay’ers at Station House (Marazion) and the lay bys either side of the road above Golsithney are working picking daffodils and potatoes and not really motorhomers at all. There are others who are a sort of new age traveller that local authorities have been trying to keep off public and private land for years and a few inconsiderate free loading motorhomers.
Some sort of Aire system, being tried by Teignbridge council in South Devon, as at the car parks in Teignmouth and Dawlish Warren. My wife and I spent a night in each of these car parks with a night on a CL site near Kingsbridge in February this year and really enjoyed the area. So I am not averse to wildcamping just not too wild as to be a menace to someone else.
Reported in the March issue of Motorhome Monthly that Teignbridge Council is to allow overnight parking for motorhomes at two of its car parks, Dawlish Warren and Eastcliffe, both close to Teignmouth.

Further report in September MMM that Teignbridge Council has now withdrawn the facility for overnight parking for motorhomes at two of its car parks, Dawlish Warren and Eastcliffe, both close to Teignmouth. This was due to overstaying, Caravans using the facility, rubbish and an unconfirmed report of toilet waste being dumped. This has resulted in complaints leading to review as to whether Planning permission was required and complaints for loss of trade from campsite operators.

Councillor Ted Hockin claimed "It was intended as a stopover and not a campsite . Unfortunately this has been abused".

The Council leader Alan Connett is quoted as saying " we have been of our own success". He also urged all motorhome users to lobby their MPs for more flexibility in the planning laws to make it easier for local authorities to allow overnight stops if they wish to.

John

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Year on year motorhome ownership is rising , it has never been so popular, but camp sites aren't keeping pace..

The Clubs open new sites every year but they are not new sites, just ones they have taken over.. and as demand has increased so too have site fess .. that's how capitalism works.

This has put more and more pressure on free camping places, and as already said, it has led to over use and abuse by some.

In my view, people use free camping for one or a combination of three reasons.

a) it's a beautiful location , remote loch sides, mountains or forest locations are popular for this reason.

b) it's free ..

c) it's a convenient over night stop en route to a site. ie lay-bay

Overstaying, over crowding and making a mess will inevitably lead to more bans.

If I found a quiet place the last thing I would do is advertise it .. this is not a dig at those who are setting up data bases of places where motorhome parking is friendly , ie park and rides etc.. that is a completely different thing. We need more of these places.

Truly wild spots are few and far between, if you know and use one then keep it to yourself.. advertising will inevitably lead to it's closure.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Truly wild spots are few and far between, if you know and use one then keep it to yourself.. advertising will inevitably lead to it's closure.

So totally agree nice as it is to let others know of such spots if you do within months often the no overnight parking signs appear.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Free Parking

Local Resort Councils spend 10 months of the Year complaining about lack of visitors .In the couple of months that they get any they still complain .i.e. 50s beatnicks 60s-70s hippies+mods and rockers now its the motorhomers turn. when they've finally got us on to the campsites there will be something else new . You can't stay in guest houses on the coast anymore they're all full of youngsters on DSS. caravans and m homes is the only way to go so it will increasingly get more expensive.:Angry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why dont we have aires?

That is the $64,000 question ... search aires , plenty of debate .. talk but little action, and what action there has been, has been done by a few keen individuals ..

I draw the conclusion there is little demand .. a recent national petition on the Gov web site only attracted a hundred or so signatures .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back