Free camper van parking in Cornwall reviewed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bigmillie, Jul 7, 2010.

1. bigmillie

bigmillie Read Only Funster

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We Motorhomers have quite a few irresponsible people among us. Those that just take the P bigtime. Rather that pass laws to hit those that abuse the system, its much easier to legislate and enforce total bans. By the time my kids get a motorhome most every nice spot in the country (and further) will have been ruined with "No Motorhomes" signs,

I know there are a lot of us, and most vans look the same to Joe Public, so it could be that at a lot of these sites they are seeing different vans. However I know from experience that there are just too many who stay too long, have nowhere suitable for waste and give the rest of us a bad name. They often have crap and crud all around the motorhome and think nothing of stopping in the same beachside carpark for the full six week school holiday. Then next year, theres a height barrier :censored:2:censored:2 We won't win this one I'm afraid. :Sad:

3. cornishaich

cornishaich Read Only Funster

:cry:I live in the same village as Claude Smith and have known him more than 20years and he has a point, which is that some (and only some) people are taking up residence here almost permanently to the detriment of other people. It is the most wonderful spot and I say this as a born and bred local and as always it is a shame that a few are spoiling it for the rest. A couple of nights would do nobody any harm.
    Below is a quote from another forum site.
    "there are some things I never pay for regardless of the price, like camp sites....and web sites ":Doh:
    Need I say more. :Wink:

4. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

I can understand the locals getting upset while you have folk saying they park up for a fortnight and will do till it becomes illegal, those sort do not help the more reasonalbe motorhomers that would only stay a night maybe two, they spoil it for others by gaining a complete ban for everyone

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

One solution might be a "one night in any seven" rule to stop abuse.

Graham

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Sounds like a good idea Graham, it would be nice to think that councils would adopt such a plan rather than blanket bans.

Maybe if they charged, even a tiny amount for that one (or two) nights it would deter some of the worst offenders, many of which are only happy when getting something for nothing. I love (free)wild camping, but I would be happy to pay, Who could object to paying a couple of quid to park up on a sea wall, especially if it meant you could park there next year too.

Maybe we should be writing to the councilors. Fancy drafting something Graham?, We'll all copy it and email it:BigGrin:

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I'm ahead of you Jim :Smile:. Below is a copy of the e-mail I sent, half an hour ago, to the councillor quoted in the BBC article <sunicholas@cornwall.gov.uk>

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Nice one Graham,

I'll send one myself (a similar one) :BigGrin:

Cheers

9. Rainbowchaser

Rainbowchaser Read Only Funster

I reported this situation on one of our forums a while back.

I pass by this location at least twice every day on my way to Town and make a point of checking on who and what is going on at the Marazion lay-by and car park.
    There are currently two motorhomes there that have not moved from one spot for at least two weeks.
    As it is such a great place to stay, I have appointed myself local busybody and observer and have begun to keep a photographic record of motorhomes parked there for any length of time as I don't want to see us lose this facility.
    I've even considered posting the pics on here in a 'Folder of shame' showing the registration numbers.

I think the council has been very tolerant thus far but this situation cannot continue without some action in the future.

Do these people honestly believe that nobody is going to notice, or are they on some crusade to deny us all the use of these stopping places ?
    :Angry:

10. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Two days does not hurt but two weeks maybe they should get a council tax bill:Rofl1:

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Probably neither but more, just as with so much of society these days, so long as they get what they want nobody else matters.

They will probably be the first to complain (in all innocence of course) should restrictions be introduced.

Graham

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

This may work out of season, but during the high season may simply create a higher turnover of vans.. problem not resolved.

If this is such a great spot, and it certainly looks like it on the Google map, then would it not be a better idea to suggest to the council to create a limited number of motorhome only parking places, say six, and charge say £10 per 24 hrs with a max of 48 hrs. ?
    In effect an aire..

13. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Good idea but then people using it would be moaning that there is no water or waste facilites or hook ups!!!

Its not going to happen, anything other than a complete ban is open to abuse, its a shame but its the same old story of the few ruining it for the many im afraid.

14. scotjimland

probably, but they would have a choice, pay up and shut up .... or go up the road and pay £20 + for a site ..

15. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

the sort of person in that report that is going to stop as long as they want and sod everyone else is very hard to legislate against without spoiling it for the rest

16. TDH

TDH Funster

"I've got the sea front......."

Says it all doesn't it?

I mostly wild camp and I'm paranoid about upsetting people - how people can be so thick skinned escapes me!

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I got the impression from the article that the location was blocked by long stayers, preventing local people from finding somewhere to park. If there were a turnover there should be periods between one van leaving and another arriving when locals would have a chance of getting in.

I'm not against the idea of an aire though. Why not drop an e-mail to Councillor Nicholas suggesting it as an alternative? If she receives a number of constructive alternative suggestions from motorhomers she will, at least, appreciate that we're not all irresponsible.

Graham

18. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Easy for them I parked for free and s*d whoever comes behind,or whatever problems it causes.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

19. scotjimland

Good idea .. I have written with that suggestion.. :Smile:

20. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

there's a big car park at the end of the layby iv never seen it full yet so why not make the layby pay and display like the car park i bet the locales wont wont to park there then seems we all wont something for nothing and yes am one that parks up for 2-3 days and i pay road taxs and ins :BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin: