Frazzled Fridge! (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
I think something traumatic must have happened at some point to my fridge!

I noticed that the 12v on/off switch wouldn't stay clicked in the on position, almost like I'd expect an ignitor switch to work. It just kept springing back to 0.

So broken switch thinks I - I'll just take the switch out and have a look. I took the front panel off - see what I found...

The bottom two wires had fused together, it was all blackened and melted back there! and the back of the switch was pretty scorched too.

I've had my multimeter on what's left of the wires, but nothing is flowing.

Anyone know what might have caused this, and how do I get more of the fridge apart so I can see where those wires go and if I can repair it.

The 240v circuit seems ok (green light comes on anyway), and the 12v is still firing the gas ignitor. But it would be good to get it running on the 12v!

How long do they take to get cold? I had it running this evening on the hookup, and kept sticking my head in, but couldn't be very sure if it was getting colder in there. Was probly only on for an hour tho. I'd quite like to know for sure if the fridge is working on 240v.

Advice gratefully received!

Jamie :Smile:

Attachments

• IMG_0350.JPG
    IMG_0350.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 38

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I think something traumatic must have happened at some point to my fridge!

I noticed that the 12v on/off switch wouldn't stay clicked in the on position, almost like I'd expect an ignitor switch to work. It just kept springing back to 0.

So broken switch thinks I - I'll just take the switch out and have a look. I took the front panel off - see what I found...

The bottom two wires had fused together, it was all blackened and melted back there! and the back of the switch was pretty scorched too.

I've had my multimeter on what's left of the wires, but nothing is flowing.

Anyone know what might have caused this, and how do I get more of the fridge apart so I can see where those wires go and if I can repair it.

The 240v circuit seems ok, and the 12v is still firing the gas ignitor. But it would be good to get it running on the 12v!

How long do they take to get cold? I had it running this evening on the hookup, and kept sticking my head in, but couldn't be very sure if it was getting colder in there. Was probly only on for an hour tho. I'd quite like to know for sure if the fridge is working on 240v.

Advice gratefully received!

Jamie :Smile:

Likely caused by somebody fitting to high rated fuse or none at all and corrosion causing a short

to get the fridge out to work on it.....
open fridge door and remove plastic bungs on either side of fridge walls to access screws
remove screws
slide fridge forward a bit
remove bottom rear vent outside van
disconect gas on rear of fridge throuh vent hole(obviously turn off at bottle first)
slide fridge out a bit more and disconect electric feeds
remove fridge

best advice I can give is take a digital photo of how wires connect so you can put it back as installed

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
After its been on for a while, take one of the vent covers off outside and see if the pipes are getting warm If they are its a good sign its working.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Thanks for the tips you two! Most helpful.

Replacement switch arrived today, so tomorrow that there fridge is coming out! :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Big1 - you neglected to mention that the fridge is an absolute bastid to pull out! ::bigsmile:

Good news is, the rest of the wiring behind looks absolutely fine, so I think just a catastrophic failure of the switch.

Hopefully replace last section of wiring, attach new switch, and fingers crossed all will be good.

I hope the fridge goes in easier than it comes out :roflmto:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back