fray bentos pies

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by smudger, Dec 12, 2010.

1. smudger

smudger Funster

they should ave been named, fray bentos lies..:Sad: after being recomended to me, by a freind,
    who i wont name,but he is a fellow funster,and yes a city fan...(bad taste,i know).oh yeah he is also a crash test dummy for some bike company.:Smile:...anyway after picking up two of these pies at my local for now tesco:BigGrin:,i decided to do good o,l pie chipss an beans.:Smile:..well,chips an beans turned out great..but the pie was absolute shite.:cry:..the one i got was supposed to be steak, all i got was gravy n pastry...maybe not enough room for the steak. any body else had a bad experience with these pies....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

JJ teeth cant cope with meat, he like it purée style:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

3. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We do Fray Bentos pies in our 'van, but double the cooking time for best results!
    Not sure where your meat went, it must have all been in the one we last had!

4. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

not had a fray bentos since 1978. was living in a bedsit and had been out for a few sherberts with it being a sunday afternoon. went home put the pie in the oven then nodded off. woke up when i heard a boom!!!!!!!!!!!!! ooops forgot to take off the flippin lid . i did think of scraping it off the roof of the oven but decided against it and had myself another 40 winks. in hindsight glad i gave it a miss the wife tells me they are made from dead donkeys knackers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

WE will have to have a fray bentos meet:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I've worked in food processing plants, not Fray Bentos, processing food that used to be thrown out or made in to pet food ... I won't eat any of it ..

Ask yourself this question ..

Do you think they put good meat in a pie if it could be sold as raw meat ?

Same goes for any other processed products .. be it meat, chicken, pork .. only the crap is used and processed to make it taste like meat ..

Same with preformed ham .. plastic ham as I call it. It is disgusting how it is made .. once seen NEVER eaten ..

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

fray bentos pies should be put in a box along with 'Vesta' curries and buried in a deep hole. :Laughing:

and another thing.....a pie is not a pie unless it has a top, sides and a bottom made of pastry.

fray bentos is merely a stew with a pastry(almost:Laughing:) lid.

FRAY BENTOS......the home of 'meat' pies

8. Road Runner

Great idea:Rofl1:

9. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Here's a Northumbrian Pie (Turkey) made by our local butcher.

ATB

Stewart

Attached Files:

10. BionicPixie

BionicPixie Read Only Funster

Some days you crave comfort food and there it is in the corner of the cupboard in the kitchen or motorhome .... with its little tinny voice shouting ...

go on, go on, go on .... you know you want to....

yes... the Frey Bentos pie!

There are times when nothing else will hit the spot it has to be the Frey Bentos Pie

my favourite being the Steak and Kidney pie .... drooling at the thought ....

A Frey Bentos meet sounds like a damnable fine idea of haute cuisine to me:thumb:

11. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

JJ my prince , i think they are all taking about you and your....hummmm....pies:Rofl1:

And you wanted me to taste.....those things:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: I'm sure there's some better english food for me to taste, well, if you really want me to convert to english that is:Wink::Wink: But if you really want me to have a go, ok then, i'm not sure i'll still want to run away with you after such a try though:Blush::Blush:

Your princess

Frankie:Laughing::Laughing::Laughing:

12. Road Runner

Frankie once you have sampled a JJ Frey Bentos steak and kidney & 2 veg special your be his princess forever:Wink:

13. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Now THAT's a pie.................................:thumb:

14. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

the pastry is ok frankie,
    and the reason jj eats a whole one is because its a case of hunt the piece of meat in the gravy

15. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

16. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

17. breeks

breeks Read Only Funster

:BigGrin::BigGrin:

18. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

[

DEREK... I KNEW IT:Angry:....I THOUGHT IT WAS A LOAD OF HYPE:Wink:..FRAY BENTOS SALES TALK:shout:.....FROM A FRAY BENTOS SALES MAN:Cool::Blush:........AND TO GO PUBLIC, AND TO PUT IT IN PRINT ON THE BEST MOTORHOME FORUM ON THE INTERNET:shout:....THAT HIS FRAY BENTOS TINNED MASS PRODUCED steak and ale pies (as you put it Derek "the pie was absolute shite") well they have not changed from what we remembered of them from 40 years ago....maybe they are still the same 40 year old pies???? that his FRAY BENTOS pies was better than my home made PORK PIES......was a utter insult ... I will be watching this thread with great interest and hoping the man in question will get off his Fray Bentos soap box now:Laughing::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Derek I hope do did not put the FRAY BENTOS PIE over the top of your baked beans and chips and ruined GOOD BAKED BEANS AND YOUR CHIPS..

The city bit you mentioned...........WELL!! we all do silly things in our life we regret...he could yet grow out of it.....and become a MAN UTD man.....who knows

WELL DONE DONE DEREK FOR EXPOSING THIS MAN AND OF COURSE THE DREADED FRAY BENTOS PIES...HAVE YOU INFORMED CUSTOMS & INTER-POL......AS THIS MAN IS A JET SETTER....HE MAY HAVE BEEN LEAVING THESE PIES ALL OVER EUROPE!!!!!!! AS I HEAR HE TRIED TO FORCE "FRANKIE" TO EAT HIS MEAT AND TWO VEG...BLESS HER....THAT IS UNFORGIVABLE!!

Mel :thumb::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  19. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

We brought a stock of Fray Bentos pies out to Spain as well, after reading the recommendation on here.

We have tried two so far. First one the pastry was sloppy underneath so probably not cooked enough. The second was a "Chicken Balti" and was well cooked again the pastry was slimy even though Joan had flipped the top over. Am I mistaken? was the slippy stuff pie filling?

We still have a stack left that we don't know what to to with as you are not allowed to feed the wild cats on this site.

20. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

HEHEHEHHE :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:........Surely you must be able to claim a REFUND...CONSUMER RIGHTS!!!.:Rofl1::Rofl1:...From there rep
    Or be able to claim a TV or a satellite dish as compensation
    Mel :thumb: