Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Saw Ramond Blanc's programme the other night when he went home to cook in Franche-Comte. Looked a good area, and was one we had not thought about. Has anyone been there, can you recommend it and how does it compare with the other mountain areas of France?

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
yes been there ,and they got some real good aires ,quiet because every one goes south or to the coast,, but the dutch/germans us the aires in the north as a pit stop ,,,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We stayed near Besancon for two weeks a few years ago in our caravan.

Very nice scenery but weather was mixed, three days sun, three days rain. but that is what you get in a hilly/mountain region.

Belfort, Besancon and Switzerland to visit.

We went to watch the Tour de France and cycled around the region.

On par with Jura

Hope this helps

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks, guys for information.
Salopian -- have sent pm but Highland Gathering is weekend of 22nd - 25th June
safe travels
Magbrin

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
A beautiful area - I love it. There are aires at Salin-les-Bains and Arc-et-Senans to name just two. Both places worth visiting. At Arc there is the Saline Royale which we have not had time to visit yet, but is an interesting place: http://www.salineroyale.com/
From Arc we caught a train to Besancon for the day: a fine university town that was the centre of the French clock and watch industry. We prefer to stop outside larger cities and use the train as it's a lot easier than trying to park. We did this last year to Dijon (from Beaune) Lyons (from Villars-les-Dombes) and Besancon as mentioned above.
However, I digress; Arbois is also worth a stop, particularly of you fancy tasting / buying Vin Jeaune (rather like sherry and it keeps for decades apparently). However, the municipal in Arbois is not cheap so we moved on. There is also a well regarded aire at Baume-les-Dames to the east of Besancon.

Just a few ideas to whet your appetite. I strongly recommend the area (but don't tell everyone on 'Fun' or it will get too busy) :Doh::Doh::Eeek:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Saw Ramond Blanc's programme the other night when he went home to cook in Franche-Comte. Looked a good area, and was one we had not thought about. Has anyone been there, can you recommend it and how does it compare with the other mountain areas of France?

Gentle, mainly rural, fairly quiet, great for activities, near to Switzerland, hidden gem. The river Doubs over almost all it's length is also unsung.

We lived on the edge of this area for 5 years and haven't seen enough yet.

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks again for the useful information

A beautiful area - I love it. ..........................

Just a few ideas to whet your appetite. I strongly recommend the area (but don't tell everyone on 'Fun' or it will get too busy) :Doh::Doh::Eeek:

Rather as I thought................ I think it's for us.
Will report back later in the year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We are going to this area

in October, returning from S of France, so all these posts have been useful. Thanks folks

Catherine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back