France update

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chaser, Oct 6, 2016.

1. chaser

chaser Funster

well here we are back home, just a few observations, and a few things I was wrong on:whistle:
    We have done 2600 miles in a month and two days, honestly not seen a solitary migrant, and only seen about 6 gendarme in the whole time, and contrary to popular belief there isn't one behind every tree.
    We have paid at st Valery , honfleur, two days at twin lakes, where we experienced our first funsters meet and good it was too, two days at colloure, coucy Le chatuex and gravelines, oh and Julie has just told me nuncq hautecote where we went first night , brilliant one this. All the rest free, mostly different one every night.
    We have a gasit 6 kilo bottle that showed empty after about ten days but from previous experience knew it wasn't empty but filled it when we saw gas on a motorway service and it held 8 litre so after this it showed empty again after another ten days but left it and it lasted till we came back.
    Two 85 amp batteries and two 100 watt solar panels provided far more electric than we could use, never on hookup anywhere even where it was provided.
    Huwii dongle and 3 12 gb data sim provided all the internet we could use but ran out on the last day, but a fantastic system this , never without a signal anywhere, even when the three phones said no signal.
    Must say though , never found a 4 g signal anywhere.
    Now I must take it all back about fon, found it worked in many places , don't know what changed but have never been able to find a sign of it before.
    Now the big one , I have been the biggest critic of watering cans to fill the water up, but thought I would take one to try, and found it brilliant we went with a full tank and then just shoved a can full in anywhere we saw a tap, saves unwinding hoses, getting the right end and wrapping it all up again.
    Loads more stuff to say but I'm wearing my finger out, and probably boreing you all to death.:)

• Like Like x 34
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Why do you need a full tank of water and yet take a chance on the gas. A full tank of water should last 5 days. Why are you carrying 50 Kilo of water around with you? There's never a shortage of water in France.

• Like Like x 1
  3. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

We fill up at every opportunity and usually have a full tank whenever we leave an aire. Been to several aires where there is no water available and want to stay 2 or 3 days so definitely worth topping up as and when possible.

• Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. chaser

chaser Funster

That was my point , didn't need to be full really, before had to wait till we found a tap that we could get to and fitted the hose, this watering can thing meens you can put water in anywhere from any sort of tap.
    Don't understand your reference to the gas , what chance was I taking , when filling it first time showed that there was still a quarter of a tank left , so just left it to see how far it would last.
    By the way the filler is inside the locker and there was no trouble filling it from the attendant.

• Like Like x 1
  5. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

same here, always keep the tank full. 100 litre tank gets us about 3 1/2 showers including washing loo etc.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

,Have you been drinking data, how did you manage to use that much,our 1gig add on is just about run out after 3 weeks and we are quite heavy internet users.
    I put it down to user error.:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

All right for you guys with 500 Lt tanks our van only has a tiny 100Lt tank so we run full plus 2 x 20Lt containers in the garage then we can last 3-4 days, we can't live without our morning shower.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

9. chaser

chaser Funster

Have you been useing fon though, 1 gb won't last two minutes with us when running iPad and another tablet with YouTube and other video clips and stuff.

10. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

That would be the difference we don't need to shower ever day. We tend to half fill up on the days we want a shower.

11. chaser

chaser Funster

We both shower every day and we only have 70 lts when full, but we can still last three days

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Another vote for using a watering can when travelling - way easier than messing about with hosepipes, apart from filling at home.

• Like Like x 2
  13. busby

busby Funster

Mine is smaller than than,,probably 60 litres,,never run out in France,,,BUSBY.

14. Jo662

Jo662 Funster

We always travel with fresh water full,so you have option to wild camp
    or aires.We travel out of season and taps are sometimes turned off!

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Chaser and Burtonbird thanks for sharing your trip I've enjoyed reading and looking at your photos. Posting that uses your data so thank you ! When are you off again?!:)

• Like Like x 3
  16. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Depends where you camp it you are wilding up in the mountains miles from anywhere dont want a 20 or 30 mile round trip just to get water. At least the new van will have a 150Lt tank, one of the reasons for changing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Never bothered with a watering can myself but do have a two metre hose (washing machine) hose which is my favourite go to as it so easy to use. Most aires you have to pay for a set amount of water so a watering can would be useless??

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

We never let any videos play when on paying data.

19. chaser

chaser Funster

We don't have a tv so anything to do with video, news , posting stuff and all that goes through data, well satisfied at £21 for 30 odd days, didn't use any phone data, and apart from when we could find fon, which to be honest wasn't very often but at least now have got it to work, everything went through the 3 data sim.

20. chaser

chaser Funster

Have no plans other than maybe a week at the Xmas markets.

• Like Like x 1