sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
do we need a sat dish or can we get tv through freeview ? :Blush:this trip is getting more complicated,,,,,,

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Whilst we're not experts........I would definitely think you will need at sat dish for France. We've had problems with freeview in certain places in the UK, but that might have been down to where we were sited, rural area, trees etc:RollEyes:
We usually take our Sky+ with us around the UK, but whether you could use it in France I'm not sure.

But there will be an expert along shortly to give better advice. Have a great trip to France when you get there:thumb:

Margaret & Bill

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
i think you will need a dish for astra 2 ? on the odd evening we watched tv some french channels we picked up were ok but we took a few dvd`s and loaded some films onto usb sticks to watch incase it rained which it didnt :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
Definately require a Sat Dish and Receiver. I have used a Maplins camping kit (similar to Aldi when available) for that last six years. Picks up UK TV as far down as the Loire. Dish can be fixed to the van with suckers. Perseverence needed to develop the tuning technique then its a doddle. Larger dish needed for further south. I think our large dish is about 60cm.

Maplins kit is now £80, our large dish was £60 complete with tripod.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
France trip

Hi there, just returned from trip have 85cm Telco Dish and had perfect reception at St Giles Croix de Vie in the Vendee.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
You will need a dish, and you should get Freesat (not Freeview) without difficulty - we do, as do our guests, here in the Limousin. When we came we had Sky, but they kept putting their prices up and Freesat - well, it's free! No contest!:roflmto:

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Don`t buy anything here in the Uk, wait till you get to your destination then go down to the local supermarket first thing in the morning, take note of the large cages holding the wine then go back in the aftrnoon and see which cage has sold the most.

Voila that`s the wine to buy, as for the tele, why would you?
Try all the local cheeses and meats, fresh veg and freshly picked herbs
Get out and enjoy the local ambience rather than sit inside watching a little box of crap.:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
You are on holiday! Do you really need a telly?

Craig

I agree completely. Why don't you take a few films/serials on dvd in case of rain and just listen to the news on the radio?. Why don't you read all the books or magazines you wished all year long you had time to read? I can understand you like to watch films but indeed TV on hols ..... But of course only my way of seeing things. I already fight against my parents who want to buy a TV for my motorhome, because THEY want it... :Doh:
Whatever you decide , enjoy your holidays!

Frankie:Cool:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We spent 18 weeks over winter in Spain and Portugal. We had a tv/dvd, and thought 'let's see what happens.
My wife had the complete set of Downton Abbey, and i had some Fools and Horses, and other comedy dvds, should we feel the need to watch something.
The upshot was, we could't get a tv signal, and we watched 1 dvd.
The rest of the time we enjoyed the surroundings, the warm sunshine, long walks, some games in the evening, listening to music, reading, doing little jobs on the RV, and my wife even finished a tapestry she has had for 4 years and never started the damned thing.
We didn't miss the dreadful tv, and we didn't feel the need to stick a dvd on every evening.
We enjoyed each others company, and the company of others we met en route.
We most certainly do not think that getting the telly going is a must for camping. We would much rather be without one.

Craig

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It depend what TV you want. If you want British TV then you will need a satellite dish and tuner. Even then you may find difficulty when you get to the south of the country because the satellite footprints have been reduced. But if you want to watch the local telly programmes that is different.

I have a status aerial and signal amplifier and never failed to pick up local TV on my recent trip to France and Spain.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And do not forget.. There are many channels on digi tv that are broadcast in english with French / Spanish subtitles !

We watched a fair bit of telly over the winter and as Sky had changed the game plan again simply watched the local tv stuff.. ( and nope, neither of us know anything past first lesson in either language ! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back