france trip....

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sb8263, May 3, 2014.

1. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

do we need a sat dish or can we get tv through freeview ? :Blush:this trip is getting more complicated,,,,,,

2. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Whilst we're not experts........I would definitely think you will need at sat dish for France. We've had problems with freeview in certain places in the UK, but that might have been down to where we were sited, rural area, trees etc:RollEyes:
    We usually take our Sky+ with us around the UK, but whether you could use it in France I'm not sure.

But there will be an expert along shortly to give better advice. Have a great trip to France when you get there:thumb:

Margaret & Bill

3. autoswan

autoswan Funster

i think you will need a dish for astra 2 ? on the odd evening we watched tv some french channels we picked up were ok but we took a few dvd`s and loaded some films onto usb sticks to watch incase it rained which it didnt :Smile:

4. pneumatician

pneumatician Read Only Funster

Definately require a Sat Dish and Receiver. I have used a Maplins camping kit (similar to Aldi when available) for that last six years. Picks up UK TV as far down as the Loire. Dish can be fixed to the van with suckers. Perseverence needed to develop the tuning technique then its a doddle. Larger dish needed for further south. I think our large dish is about 60cm.

Maplins kit is now £80, our large dish was £60 complete with tripod.

5. jemhorn

jemhorn Funster

France trip

Hi there, just returned from trip have 85cm Telco Dish and had perfect reception at St Giles Croix de Vie in the Vendee.

6. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

You will need a dish, and you should get Freesat (not Freeview) without difficulty - we do, as do our guests, here in the Limousin. When we came we had Sky, but they kept putting their prices up and Freesat - well, it's free! No contest!:Laughing:

Bob
    www.parcverger.com

• Like Like x 1
  7. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

You are on holiday! Do you really need a telly?

Craig

• Like Like x 4
  8. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Don`t buy anything here in the Uk, wait till you get to your destination then go down to the local supermarket first thing in the morning, take note of the large cages holding the wine then go back in the aftrnoon and see which cage has sold the most.

Voila that`s the wine to buy, as for the tele, why would you?
    Try all the local cheeses and meats, fresh veg and freshly picked herbs
    Get out and enjoy the local ambience rather than sit inside watching a little box of crap.:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  9. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

I agree completely. Why don't you take a few films/serials on dvd in case of rain and just listen to the news on the radio?. Why don't you read all the books or magazines you wished all year long you had time to read? I can understand you like to watch films but indeed TV on hols ..... But of course only my way of seeing things. I already fight against my parents who want to buy a TV for my motorhome, because THEY want it... :Doh:
    Whatever you decide , enjoy your holidays!

Frankie:Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  10. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

We spent 18 weeks over winter in Spain and Portugal. We had a tv/dvd, and thought 'let's see what happens.
    My wife had the complete set of Downton Abbey, and i had some Fools and Horses, and other comedy dvds, should we feel the need to watch something.
    The upshot was, we could't get a tv signal, and we watched 1 dvd.
    The rest of the time we enjoyed the surroundings, the warm sunshine, long walks, some games in the evening, listening to music, reading, doing little jobs on the RV, and my wife even finished a tapestry she has had for 4 years and never started the damned thing.
    We didn't miss the dreadful tv, and we didn't feel the need to stick a dvd on every evening.
    We enjoyed each others company, and the company of others we met en route.
    We most certainly do not think that getting the telly going is a must for camping. We would much rather be without one.

Craig

• Like Like x 2
  11. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

It depend what TV you want. If you want British TV then you will need a satellite dish and tuner. Even then you may find difficulty when you get to the south of the country because the satellite footprints have been reduced. But if you want to watch the local telly programmes that is different.

I have a status aerial and signal amplifier and never failed to pick up local TV on my recent trip to France and Spain.

12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

And do not forget.. There are many channels on digi tv that are broadcast in english with French / Spanish subtitles !

We watched a fair bit of telly over the winter and as Sky had changed the game plan again simply watched the local tv stuff.. ( and nope, neither of us know anything past first lesson in either language ! )