sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
hi folks new on here,,,looking at touring france in our autotrail this year,,,,all new to us, the abroad trip,,,need as much help advice and even a route if possible that avoids too many tolls.....have got smart car on trailer, but dont know if we will take on 1st trip as dont know how easy on and off the ferry etc........please guys help.....:Sad:

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Hi & welcome :thumb::thumb: Sounds as though your in the same position as us. We're newbies & are planning our first trip to France. Calais, then head south, avoiding the toll roads if poss. Not sure where we will end up, but there again, no rush. Planning on leaving mid July. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
hi folks new on here,,,looking at touring france in our autotrail this year,,,,all new to us, the abroad trip,,,need as much help advice and even a route if possible that avoids too many tolls.....have got smart car on trailer, but dont know if we will take on 1st trip as dont know how easy on and off the ferry etc........please guys help.....:Sad:

1st look on vicarious books website and buy an ACSI book and discount card it will save you a fortune if going out of season. Also from vicarious All the French Aires book there are literally 1000s of aires in France many are free. If you are using a sat-nav just put in excluding tolls and it will take you through all the nice little French villages. Regarding your trailer and smart car I don't think you will have any problems on the ferry.
Have a great time we are off to France for 5 weeks at the end of May.

Spongy

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
If you're just going to use camp sites then the Smart might be handy but if you plan to use Aires it will be more hassle than it's worth.
France is very Camping Car friendly so you will find a lot less restrictions as to where you can go or park your van.
DFDS is the cheapest & easiest of the ferries or try the tunnel via Tesco vouchers.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Hi we did our first trip over to France in our Autotrail last summer, we wandered west along the north coast then down west side to La Rochelle, isle de re then cut up through the middle ish bit back to Calais ferry. We stayed mostly on Aries over the 6 weeks. Only picked a few destinations to visit played the rest by ear using the all the Aries book to find stop overs.
We did plan as much as we could eg- booked a flexi ferry ticket, French gas bottle n valve thanks to Funster Hutchies, good sat nav, dogs sorted, currency cards, euros, insurances and breakdown cover that returns us to uk no fuss if worst happens to mh, All the Aries book, some basics of the lingo, Aldis n Lidles are everywhere, kits of breatherlisers, hi viz top, documents copies, headlight strips, driving on the wrong side is easy after a short time. Sorry don't know about tow cars but the ones I saw seemed to get on n off ferries fine.

Mostly it was a lot easier and better to drive around France than here IMO .
Looking foreword to going back this summer :Smile:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Hi we did our first trip over to France in our Autotrail last summer, we wandered west along the north coast then down west side to La Rochelle, isle de re then cut up through the middle ish bit back to Calais ferry. We stayed mostly on Aries over the 6 weeks. Only picked a few destinations to visit played the rest by ear using the all the Aries book to find stop overs.
We did plan as much as we could eg- booked a flexi ferry ticket, French gas bottle n valve thanks to Funster Hutchies, good sat nav, dogs sorted, currency cards, euros, insurances and breakdown cover that returns us to uk no fuss if worst happens to mh, All the Aries book, some basics of the lingo, Aldis n Lidles are everywhere, kits of breatherlisers, hi viz top, [HI]documents copies[/HI], headlight strips, driving on the wrong side is easy after a short time. Sorry don't know about tow cars but the ones I saw seemed to get on n off ferries fine.

Mostly it was a lot easier and better to drive around France than here IMO .
Looking foreword to going back this summer :Smile:

I thought that these had to be the original copies, or am I mistaken, (as usual according to er indoors!)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi SB8263, As said before so much easier to drive over in France , just put in gps or destination into satnav after excluding toll roads and then remember when you stop for cuppa or whatever to pull back on to the right hand side of road (easy to be distracted when relaxed ). I would recommend not planning more than about 180 miles a day and if using aires you need to look for them mid afternoon as in certain area's(tourist spots) they fill up quite early. If you need any help or suggestions on aires etc just ask or PM. or start a thread giving more info on where and what you need.
:sin: Terry:sin:

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I thought that these had to be the original copies, or am I mistaken, (as usual according to er indoors!)

I think you are right, I took the original docs too, but also copies of all docs kept seperate for quick reference if needed as originals were in secret hard to get to place :winky:
And as said set sat nav to no toll roads but there were a few that i couldnt avoid ie - the bridge toll over to the isle de re and when i got lost a couple of times the toll roads got me back on track quickly for a few euros.

Good points Fidget, i tried not to drive more than 2-3 hours a day so we spent more time looking around the country than passing it by, we got to aries before 6pm most days and only one didnt have room lucky most of the time i think, but it was next to a beach and quite small.

Last edited:

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

This site gives you some good route options http://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi sb8263, welcome to the fun house! ::bigsmile:

It would help if you could give a bit more info such as:
  • which Autotrail you actually have (size etc)
  • how long you intend to go away for
  • whether you would prefer to use campsites or the aires
  • if you intend to stay in one place for a week or so, or prefer to travel around just spending an odd night or two in one spot.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi & welcome :thumb::thumb: Sounds as though your in the same position as us. We're newbies & are planning our first trip to France. Calais, then head south, avoiding the toll roads if poss. Not sure where we will end up, but there again, no rush. Planning on leaving mid July. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

If you're heading south, look at the Atlas and you'll see that there are many 'dual carriageways with motorway characteristics' = really good roads but toll free. We usually plan our route south by using these large stretches of toll free roads. Put toll free and toll routes between destinations into your sat nav and if there is a huge time discrepancy then it's usually worth dipping into a toll route, but we did it last year with paying hardly any tolls at all.

Anyway - welcome to Fun - is the best site for information on anything and everything related to motorhomes.

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We are going over for our 4th trip to France/Belgium from Dover to Dunkerque on 4th July, anyone else going around same time?

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Here's an extract from a post I made the other day

Before starting on looking at maps, I recommend that you do a bit of ‘armchair planning’ and read the ‘Introduction’ section of All the Aires in France. It’s full of tips and advice on what to look out for. It’s well illustrated with pictures of the various fresh water dispensers, how to obtain payment tokens (called Jetons in French) which you get from some shops or the town hall (Mairie) and translations into English of some French Aire signage. The book also highlights aire etiquette and the disposal of grey and black waste.

I have found that aires range from the fantastic to bloody awful! Some are vast sites, some are merely two parking bays at a roadside.
I’m sure that you know that the word ‘Aire’ means ‘Area’ and in French, Motorhomes are referred to as ‘Camping-Cars’. Hence an Aire de Service does not always refer to a motorhome stopping place. There are Aires de Service on motorways that are simply fuel stations, so look out for Aires de Service de Camping-Cars. or Stationnement Réservé au Camping-Cars There will be a sign with a MH dumping water.

Please forgive me if you know some of this already.

There are a few practical tips that I find useful….

· Take a pair of Marrigold or disposable gloves with you. On some Aires, you will have to lift up a manhole cover to empty your black waste. It’s unhygienic to use bare hands!
· You can’t always get close to the fresh water service points, so take a cheap flat reel hose with you for ‘social’ water and buy a 5litre flagon from a supermarché for drinking/making drinks etc.
· Also consider carrying a plastic ‘jerry can’ to collect smaller amounts of fresh water.
· When filling with fresh water, to save you pushing down the tap for ages, make up a Velcro (or similar) strap to fit over the tap plunger to keep it depressed whilst you run back to the ‘van to stop the hose from shooting out of your filler!!!

Don’t worry, once you’ve visited a few Aires and sites, you’ll soon know the drill. There’s likely to be an English MoHomer already there anyway and contrary to belief, the French are mostly helpful. As long as you remember that Gris=Grey, Noir = Black and Fresh Water = Eau Portable, you’ll be fine!

Despite the planning and Sat-Nav, you are bound to encounter a Peage (Toll) somewhere on your route. Normally, you take a ticket from the auto-dispenser and pay the other end. Just look for the green man with a hat icon (looks like a ticket collector) on the gantry as you approach. This is the channel that accepts cash. The other channels are height restricted or for those with a tag. Keep an appropriate amount of euro coins in the cab to save you rummaging. However, some are unmanned and you pay by credit card. These are a pain because the card slot is at the wrong height for a motorhome AND it will be your passenger that has to use them (assuming your vehicle is RHD).

Don't forget your passports, vehicle doc's, flurry jackets etc!

Happy travelling.
James

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Can't help with the toad on the ferry as have only used the tunnel, where there is no problem. I can't see any problem on the ferry as the biggest problem is those vans with big overhangs, and that would be the same with or without a toad.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Our first trip last year and put our mistakes up on a board here for all to see.

People whacked on opinions on top of it

Might be worth a perusal

Broken Link Removed

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you're planning to use aires there's some aire tips on the website that's linked to my signature below ('Aire today...'), and some mapped aire photos on the second signature link.

Best single piece of aire advice I can give is never assume that the service point at the next aire will be working - empty what you can and fill what you can before setting off, even if the respective receptacles aren't completely full or empty.

Other stuff - 'South from Calais' will eventually put you on Paris's Boulevard Peripherique and I wouldn't recommend that to first timers unless you're actually planning to visit Paris. Give Paris a wide berth if possible.

The option where you avoid toll roads has a downside if you're not careful - endless roundabouts and lifeless French villages with 20mph speed restrictions in the centre and 30mph only within the town boundaries. Personally if I've got a limited time in the country I like to see as much as I can and get around quickly. The autoroutes are an absolute pleasure to drive and the fuel is cheaper over there so I wouldn't avoid them as a knee-jerk thing. Use your common sense if travelling long distances - if you've ever driven the Brum toll road that's a taster of how easy it is, and France is less costly.

At the petrol station Gazole and Diesel are the same thing, LPG is called GPL in France, and some pumps may have 'PL' on them which means they're more powerful and intended for filling heavy trucks (Poids Lourds). Cheapest fuel by far is at supermarkets, typically 20 cents a litre less than motorway services, and Diesel is cheaper than Unleaded (=SP=sans plomb). Not all supermarket petrol stations have high enough canopies for MHs but most do. The 24/7 pumps will need you to use your bank card (=CB=Carte Bancaire) while the one marked 'Caisse' can be paid for at the shop or booth. If you want to find supermarkets easily get the free SatNav POI files for Carrefour, LeClerc, Super U, Intermarche, Aldi, Lidl, etc.

The most useful book I ever read before travelling to France was the one that translated signposts for me.

We've only been back a week from our recent trip and I already wish I was still there - it's a lovely country.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Before starting on looking at maps, I recommend that you do a bit of ‘armchair planning’ and read the ‘Introduction’ section of All the Aires in France. It’s full of tips and advice on what to look out for. It’s well illustrated with pictures of the various fresh water dispensers, how to obtain payment tokens (called Jetons in French) which you get from some shops or the town hall (Mairie) and translations into English of some French Aire signage. The book also highlights aire etiquette and the disposal of grey and black waste.

I have found that aires range from the fantastic to bloody awful! Some are vast sites, some are merely two parking bays at a roadside.
I’m sure that you know that the word ‘Aire’ means ‘Area’ and in French, Motorhomes are referred to as ‘Camping-Cars’. Hence an Aire de Service does not always refer to a motorhome stopping place. There are Aires de Service on motorways that are simply fuel stations, so look out for Aires de Service de Camping-Cars. or Stationnement Réservé au Camping-Cars There will be a sign with a MH dumping water.

Please forgive me if you know some of this already.

There are a few practical tips that I find useful….

· Take a pair of Marrigold or disposable gloves with you. On some Aires, you will have to lift up a manhole cover to empty your black waste. It’s unhygienic to use bare hands!
· You can’t always get close to the fresh water service points, so take a cheap flat reel hose with you for ‘social’ water and buy a 5litre flagon from a supermarché for drinking/making drinks etc.
· Also consider carrying a plastic ‘jerry can’ to collect smaller amounts of fresh water.
· When filling with fresh water, to save you pushing down the tap for ages, make up a Velcro (or similar) strap to fit over the tap plunger to keep it depressed whilst you run back to the ‘van to stop the hose from shooting out of your filler!!!

Don’t worry, once you’ve visited a few Aires and sites, you’ll soon know the drill. There’s likely to be an English MoHomer already there anyway and contrary to belief, the French are mostly helpful. As long as you remember that Gris=Grey, Noir = Black and Fresh Water = Eau Portable, you’ll be fine!

Despite the planning and Sat-Nav, you are bound to encounter a Peage (Toll) somewhere on your route. Normally, you take a ticket from the auto-dispenser and pay the other end. Just look for the green man with a hat icon (looks like a ticket collector) on the gantry as you approach. This is the channel that accepts cash. The other channels are height restricted or for those with a tag. Keep an appropriate amount of euro coins in the cab to save you rummaging. However, some are unmanned and you pay by credit card. These are a pain because the card slot is at the wrong height for a motorhome AND it will be your passenger that has to use them (assuming your vehicle is RHD).

Don't forget your passports, vehicle doc's, flurry jackets etc!

Happy travelling.
James

Very interesting and informative! Even for me::bigsmile::winky: Only thing I will correct is one French word you have used which is not correctly spelt and means something else that way:
"PORTABLE" is carriageable while "POTABLE" is drinkable....:winky:

Frankie:Smile:

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp

Roughly same time as us,,,might see you on our travels.....:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
For both of you (New Dawn and sb8263) or any funster visiting France for the 1rst time and going down south, you are welcome at my place (please note I'm away in August) and have my mobile number in case of urgent need.

Pleasant and safe travel!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Roughly same time as us,,,might see you on our travels.....:thumb:

And us 15th in the morning to Dunkirk down to Benasson and onto the lower Alps and Provence.
Catch you about if heading that way.

PS the book "Wild Swimming in France" is a great way of finding out some lovely spots for picnics and viewing waterfalls or lakes. We sort of use it as a reference guide. You dont have to swim but it dont half cool you down in July in the South

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
france first trip...

Can you tell me how the electric supply works on the Aires please ? i see some that say so much for 55 min,,,is this just to recharge the battery ?....hope i dont sound stupid,,but this is all new to me going abroad, i am used to going on a site and putting the cable in for the duration.....:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back