France to Spain stopover.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Humsafer, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Humsafer

Humsafer Funster

On our way to Spain, not on a popular route, but some things we wanted to see( Oradour sur Glane and Carcassone to name two) We are travelling Calais- Le Mans-Poitiers- Limoge- Toulouse- Narbonne way. Camp sites in winter in France that are open are notoriously difficult to find. However after a couple of nights on aires, we came across "Parc Verger" Le Poteau, 8710 Champagnac La Riviere, France or website www.parcverger.com We intended to stop here for one or two nights but are still here after nine. Originally designed as an RV stop we were given the warmest of welcomes by the new owners, Franc and Lisa, offered a huge full service pitch with 16amp electrics for 18 euros per night ( less if you stay longer). Toilet bock that is spotless with loads of hot water, laundry at reasonable rates and Free wi fi in your van. The owners are more than helpful and nothing is too much trouble for them. Might be worth putting in your notebooks, particularly if you wish to visit Oradour sur Glane. The area is beautiful and with two large German Shepherds to cater for walks, it is ideal for dog owners.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. laneside

laneside Funster

Welcome to our little corner of France, we are just two and a half Km down the cycle track from Parc Verger

3. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

We've come mainly down the Atlantic coast as far as La Rochelle. We are now heading towards the med coast and Spain so our routes should converge around Toulouse. We too have used a mixture of Aires and campsites. Currently spending 2 nights at a campsite called Le Pression just north of St Emillion. Similar welcome to yours with all facilities and even got a small discount with our ACSI card. We visited Oradour sur Glane a few years ago. A very sad place, but definitely a pilgrimage to make.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Polar bear

Polar bear Funster

If you want to visit carcasonne we stayed on the aire which is 4 mins walk to the entrance to the city quite level and parking for around 100 vans it is barrier access and pay by credit card on way out.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Humsafer

Humsafer Funster

Thanks Polar Bear, will try that one . Off to Toulouse tomorrow and Carcassonne Mon/Tuesday or whenever.
    Thanks Laneside, must have walked past your house with the dogs, do you know Franc and Lisa.
    Hi Mustaphapint Stopping at Camping Toulouse Le Rupe, look out for a Bailey Autograph 765 with two German Shepherds in it

6. laneside

laneside Funster

Oh yes we know Franc and Lisa and it is due to stopping on Parc Verger that we opted to buy a house in this area and spend much of our retirement here. Enjoy your trip

7. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

We are heading for Camping du Lac de la Thésauque to tomorrow. We looked at Le Rupe as well but decided on the other one.

8. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Errrrr...... would give a miss to this one PLEASE!!!! I know this area and if you want a stopover , just go a few kms more and I'll be there for a safer place to stop!!!

I'll be working but you are big boy/girl I guess . Just get in touch with PM (inbox , "start a new conversation" button)

Amicalement

Frankie

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. yodeli

Nice one, next to a lake , rather quiet if no wedding at the restaurant next to the camping. Usually lots of cars parked along the way with kids on bikes , so do drive slowly when approaching the camp site.

I haven't seen the shower blocks for a long time , they used to be prefab.

Enjoy
    !

Amicalement

Frankie:)

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I would do the french touring bit on the return leg of trip....

• Like Like x 1
  11. yodeli

@Camping Parc Verger

Hi Franck and Lisa! I'm sure you have a way to contact the OP Please do contact them to tell them not to go to the camping Pont de Rupé!!!

12. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

The comments on trip advisor put us off. Thanks for the confirmation. I hope humsafer sees your warning.

13. yodeli

I'm trying to reach them by all means . this area just on the outskirts of Toulouse is probably the worst. The only positive comments come most probably from owners' friends. I feel sorry for the owners. they were probably cheated on... Bad luck!

14. Humsafer

Humsafer Funster

Thanks everyone, good advice always taken. Will not stay at Camping Toulouse La Rupe.
    Have sent PM to Yodeli
    Fred and Joan (Humsafer)

• Like Like x 2
  15. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Parc Verger is very well known amongst the R-V fraternity, Bob and Di who started it where R-V owners. Excellent Place to stop. Been 3 times up to 09.

Pete

16. Camping Parc Verger

Camping Parc Verger Funster

New Owners Of Parc Verger From 1st July 2015
    Thanks Peter why don't you calll back again and you can meet Lisa and I (the new owners) It would be nice to meet you.

Franc

17. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Could happen, but not before they "Fix" Maureen!.

Pete

18. Humsafer

Humsafer Funster

Having been warned off Camping Toulouse de la Rupe as being in a high crime risk area. We were invited to stay with Another funster at their private home in Toulouse. How nice to be invited, given a spacious pitch with electric along with a warm welcome. Frankie even cracked open a bottle of champagne to welcome us . How nice that such people still exist in our modern world. Thank you very, very much Frankie. I hope one day we can return the favour.

• Like Like x 6
  19. yodeli

Hi you 2+ the fury ones lol !

Happy you made it to Perpignan alright!
    Elne used to be a nice and quiet village. I used to go there too during summer holidays. I'm sure it hasn't changed much, and that you'll be fine there.

I'll enter your phone number in my contacts so I can have fresh news now and then!

Safe and happy travels !

Amicalement

Frankie:)

20. Humsafer

Humsafer Funster

"Avez vous le rendezvous" was wrong, what was the correct expression you gave us.
    Fred