France this year

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by MannClan, Aug 22, 2016.

1. MannClan

MannClan Funster

Hi all we have been away in France for a month and really enjoyed it - pottered around Normandy, Britany and down to the Vendee before heading back to Cherbourg in mid August.

a couple of things........

I started a thread awhile ago about backup meals and one of the main meals that people had stored was Cassoulet. I had a super cassoulet in Carcassonne a couple of years ago so we bought a tin this time from a supermarket (superu, geant, eleclerc, intermarchie - not sure which but many others are available!!) and I have to say we were not impressed. Heavy, stodgy with basic bland port sausages and other bits of "pork".Therefore can I suggest that you check your backup tins !!!! They may not be quite what you are expecting !!

really noticed the difference in costs this year - quick example - I wanted to buy a brush to attach to a hose for cleaning the van - E54.00 - about £45.00 for a £15 brush. Went into Decathalon and saw a basic polo shirt E99.99 ..... eyewatering.

finally nearly got ourselves killed - watch the video.

2. chaser

chaser Funster

Wouldn't have expected any other from the tanker, it's what they do.

3. Camdoon

Camdoon Funster Life Member

Ze French can be nuts. Up to you what you post online but your camera at 5 secs is suggesting you were just over the speed limit. :). I would shorten the clip :)

4. chaser

chaser Funster

Nothing to do with me and not up to me to comment, but if I'd been in that situation I would have slowed right down to let him go , because as I said , it's what they do, better safe than sorry.

5. Camdoon

Camdoon Funster Life Member

I would have been rammed into the side, OP did well. Language constrained as well. :)

6. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

Was it possibly a "Priorité à droite" junction - there still are a few of them about! :eek:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Yes the op did do well, especially language wise, i think my language was worse just watching the video :LOL::LOL:

8. Fenman

Fenman Funster

Tinned cassoulet was suggested as a thing to have in the cupboard as emergency supply not a gourmet meal.
    Depending on who makes it the prices vary from €1 up to €5 or €6 a tin and the quality differs as you would expect. Eat it in a restaurant and you will be paying a whole lot more.

• Like Like x 1
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

we have never found France cheap.. meat, fish, chicken, expensive.. eggs milk etc , basic groceries are either the same or more expensive than the UK .. veg at farmers market is fresher but not cheap..

years ago fuel was cheap.. not anymore.. diesel is cheaper, but not cheap... and petrol is now the same or more expensive in France

fags were cheaper.. don't smoke now..

wine.. no idea .. don't drink .. I'm guessing cheaper..

camping sites.. basic municipal sites and aires ..cheaper ... but not always.. some aires are now €15 .. I can get a UK site with 16A EHU for £12 .. a basic CL for £5

Big commercial sites .. they are expensive

Eating out.. don't do it, but looking at prices on boards .. not cheap either ..

Autoroute tolls are expensive.. ok you don't need to use... but they are more expensive than our Mways and German Autobahns ..

We go to France for the weather and they abundance of good aires and places to park.. not because it is cheaper..

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pilote87

Pilote87 Funster

I don't think so. There seems to be a broken white line on the side road, indicating "Give Way" for the tanker.

11. Badknee

Badknee Funster

My guess he saw your reg plate was not French.