France satnav and safety/speed cameras

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by boyart23, May 29, 2013.

1. boyart23

boyart23

Hi,
    The British Embassy in France tell me it is against the law to use or even have in a vehicle in France, a satnav with speed/safety camera loaded or used. Even having the facility disabled is unacceptable. Tried contacting satnav supplier to find out how to remove said software. No help there. Any funster got any ideas, apart from leaving the satnav home or not going there!
    Boyart23

2. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

I've still not heard of anyone actually getting done for this yet.

What's the actual fine value and the chance of getting caught vs avoiding a speeding fine...

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Do an update
    Tom Tom for instance automaticly removed them when updated
    You dont say what sat nav you have

• Like Like x 1
  4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I belive the French have got quite stroppy over it confiscating the sat nav is only one part of the penalty

5. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

If you are not happy just leave it locked in a cupboard for the time you are in France, you are highly unlikely to be searched for a satnav,

6. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

How can they tell if you have speed cam warnings on your French map other than by driving past one:Confused:

I suspect they would need to see you braking before a speed cam and wonder how you knew it was there.

7. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 5
  8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I much prefer the new TomTom idea.. exceed the speed limit and it warns you..

Much better than just a warning when a camera is there..

Might sound odd I spose ( especially from someone like me who is a bit of a speed junky ) but believe it or not I tend to stick to the speed limits when out of the UK** whether there is a camera there or not.. and it is easy to miss some of the speed restriction signs !!

** When in the UK I tend to work like this..

20 IS 20
    30 IS 30
    40 IS 40
    50 IS 50

But outside those.. at the risk of self incrimination I will just say I do like to 'make progress'

• Like Like x 2
  9. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I agree with chatter on this .... simple answer is not to speed, just relax and enjoy the ride.

ps my snooper does the same as Jaws tomtom and can warn when over the speed limit.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  10. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Agree with Maggie (Chatter) and the few other answers going the same way !

Just forget it! They won't take your sat nav if you're not French and then not able to have it back!....and honestly I doubt they'll check your sat nav at all!
    Up to now never heard anyone telling me so...of course I don't know all the French:BigGrin:

Just relax , don't over speed and they won't annoy you ... or even THEMSELVES!! Don't forget that redtape in France is a real pain, so if they can avoid to stay 30 more minutes at work just to fill in a form because they took your sat nav away....they will!:Wink:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We just disble the warnings, we have the snooper s6000 its a 7 inch screen, we have passed a few gendarmes quite closely on roundabouts as well as on the road so close enough for them to see our satnav easily but haven't been stopped.
    We never speed anyway even in the UK.
    We rely on it quite heavily with common sense of course, don't know where we would be without it especially in France
    :Smile:

12. billkce

billkce Funster

Clearly, the law is the law.

However, the reality is, from my experience of driving all over Europe, including France, is that the French police couldn't care less about your SatNav. Its more scaremongering.

Obviously, if you get caught speeding or crash, then all options are open to them.

Moral: don't speed.

13. spitfire

spitfire Funster

I agree !! Anyway they sell sat nav here with warnings for cameras on it ! Not sure of where that one came from but have been stopped several times on routine checks never asked about GPS , just check of licence , assurance and controle technique . Enjoy this beautiful country and relax .

14. spitfire

spitfire Funster

I agree !! Anyway they sell sat nav here with warnings for cameras on it ! Not sure of where that one came from but have been stopped several times on routine checks never asked about GPS , just check of licence , assurance and controle technique . Enjoy this beautiful country and relax .

Ok mabe not so lovely at the moment with the unusual May weather !! But roll on the weekend and sun. :BigGrin:

15. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

If the Speed Camera data is in the form of POI files it can be deleted like any other POI file. Just connect your Satnav to your computer, ignore the manufacturer's update/interface software, and manage it like any USB storage device.

Anyway, most fixed French speed cameras have warning signs ahead of them, or are they being removed now?

16. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Yes they are being removed in some places and some new ones do not have warining. They are also being put into autoroute central barriers. Also unmarked cars on autoroute driving at speed limit and if you pass then camera hidden where badge would normally be catches you :-( there are also Pan European bikes with camera in the fairing!! I have a French friend who keeps me updated :) so moral as has been said don't speed you are on holiday :BigGrin:

17. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Yes they are being removed in some places and some new ones do not have warining however if you see led advising of you speed then there is normally a camera further on and sometimes quite a bit further to lul you into a false sense if security !! . They are also being put into autoroute central barriers. Also unmarked cars on autoroute driving at speed limit and if you pass then camera hidden where badge would normally be catches you :-( there are also Pan European bikes with camera in the fairing!! I have a French friend who keeps me updated :) so moral as has been said don't speed you are on holiday :BigGrin:

18. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Yes they are being removed in some places and some new ones do not have warning, however if you see led advising of you speed then there is normally a camera further on and sometimes quite a bit further to lull you into a false sense if security !! .
    They are also being put into autoroute central barriers. Also unmarked cars on autoroute driving at speed limit and if you pass then camera hidden where badge would normally be catches you :-( there are also Pan European bikes with camera in the fairing!

I believe a tie up with UK is imminent so no hiding place !!

! I have a French friend who keeps me updated :) so moral as has been said don't speed you are on holiday :BigGrin:

19. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Its not just France all EU countries need to find ways of raising more money.....watch out for speed restrictions on walking.

In town .....a gentle stroll..so be careful when going down hills
    In the country a steady stride will be tolerated.....joggers will need a special licence...as will dog walkers.

3 points for getting a wiggle on in the high street
    6 points for running
    10 points and you are banned.

Pedestrian tax discs to be dispayed on the side of your Face
    Fully comp insurance....will depend on the size of your shoes !!!!!

barry:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Geo is correct...I live in France....I have 3 tomtoms....The TT1005 Motorhome/ Caravan edition...the TT 1000...and the Go live ..
    All three TToms said when updated or from new, Tom Tom Due the law in France... all France safety cameras have been removed....Job Done... Tom Tom has deleted them...so I would think ALL tom toms with TT camera data on for France will be or have been removed to comply with the law.
    All the French neighbours around us all have Sat Navs....nearly all the cars in car parks, supermarkets parked on the road...have either sat navs on or the suction holder on the window...or inbuilt sat navs,..most of the new cars / vans have them fitted...so sat nav must be excepted ?? as everbody but the British Embasy seems to be using them

(I think one of the best items to have in a Motorhome...is a cruise control...I have had them fitted them to all my vans.. my latest it was standard from new ......then just set them to speed limits:thumb: saves a lot of worry)

• Like Like x 1