France Or Germany (1 Viewer)

Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Going
to travel down to Croatia in autotrail Dakota weight 4250 am I best going down through Germany or just head through france

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
2 problems in Germany 1) the Umwelt (environmental) Zones for which you need a badge to show emissions and 2) coming in this year I believe what amounts to tolls for ALL roads, not sure how that will work.

OP
OP
D
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Really starting to look like france best option
the van is a euro 4

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
2 problems in Germany 1) the Umwelt (environmental) Zones for which you need a badge to show emissions and 2) coming in this year I believe what amounts to tolls for ALL roads, not sure how that will work.

The Umwelt zones are like the London one, applies only to major cities.

The Tolls were said on another thread today to apply to 7.5 tonnes, I think.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Germany introducing tolls in next year or two so if want to visit go that way. Can come back through Italy, toll free through Austria etc....

OP
OP
D
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
can any one confirm if tolls are payable on 4250 motorhomes in Germany

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi davemobile.
When we went to Greece this April, we went down through Luxembourg , Germany, Austria, and Croatia.
We paid 18 Euros to drive through Austria and 7 Euros to drive through Slovenia.
However, when we came back in June, I did not bother to buy a carnet for Austria or Slovenia and nobody stopped us. So give it a go !!
I don't think you can wild camp in Croatia by the way, if that was your intention.
Enjoy !!
Mitch.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
The tolls in question are proposed to start sometime in 2016. the cost will be 10 € for 10 days or 22 € for 2 months.
Frankly we should start charging foreign vehicles to use our roads as well.
Phil

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
We have just returned from a tour through Germany and Austria and then Northern Italy and France. You are far more likely today toll charges in France and Austria at present than Germany. We paid no tolls in Germany, refused to get a GoBox for Austria and went by A and B roads from Passau to Vienna and then down to Graz etc. Italy we paid to go on the motorways as the roads were so diabolical and France has the Peage on its motorways other than some bits for which you don't pay. Peage is Class 2 for motorhomes but we got caught for a class 3 for a very short stretch which was only €3.50 but much more expensive than class 2. Germany every time for me until they introduce toll charges.

Saint76

Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8years
Done Germany this year no Toll's or any talk of toll's,different story for France seems only one way to get about on the main tourist routes and that's toll
roads.
The saving in time for some one who has only a short vacation period far out weighs the cost Normandy 20c, Cannes 30c pretty much guaranteed in summer months.
East or West sides of France pretty much all toll road now.The sun shines brightly in the south and vast majority want that along with cheap prices and the french know that.
We may moan here in England as the only real toll road is the M6 (toll) seems expensive when you use it but a better choice than M6/M5 link when heading north or south.
Think its only a matter of time before tolls our the norm' with the smart technology now available.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Germany every time for us.. Even when tolls are introduced it will still be our preferred route..
Not willing to go in to detail for fear of offending but we find Germany streets ahead of france in just about every respect

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I have a great affection for France as I can speak the language and love the food and the people but the place is always scruffy. Public loos are usually a disgrace and there is usually plenty of rubbish about.

In terms of motor homing I have to agree that Germany wins due to superior roads, no tolls, great Stellplatzs and it also has great cakes and good beer and wine. Climate not usually as good as can be had in the south of France. I wish I could speak German and must make an effort to learn during the winter. Germany is usually extremely clean and tidy and actually I would describe it as well manicured! We have been helped a number of times by young germans stopping and offering to help with directions which is first class!

I can't see that happening much over here!

Lots of places yet to explore in Germany from my perspective!

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Germany every time for us.. Even when tolls are introduced it will still be our preferred route..
Not willing to go in to detail for fear of offending but we find Germany streets ahead of france in just about every respect

Having just returned from four weeks travelling round Germany I'll second that!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back