France in October (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi, Paid our dues now and we are fully fledged members.
We recently bought a MH (July) and would like to go to France using Aires during the last week of October (half term week). Just wondered what is your experience of Aires at this time of year. We are going for a week so won't be going too far down. Any recommendations?
We have been to France with the caravan many times for holidays over the years but now we have our new pride and joy, we fancy trying the Aires.
Thanks

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You won't have any problems anywhere , that time of year, just go where you like and look for an aire when you get to where you want to be , get the alltheaires book and you won't go far wrong, there's also loads of apps for all platforms, no doubt there will be plenty of suggestions as to which is the best, but we use the free one, park4night, and never had any problems :) (y)
Btw, we like the north but the weather could be a bit dicey at time of year.

Reactions: f6c
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Depends on what you like but a trip down the north coast sounds like a nice thing to do - plenty of nice aires to stop along the way. In a week you don't want to spend too much time driving as you'll have to spend the same time driving back! Make sure your heating is working OK and you've got plenty of gas as it can get a bit chilly at night that time of year!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
As usual all good advice above, I would just add that sometimes the water to the bornes is switched off after September.

Not a massive issue, but I would take every opportunity to keep your tank topped up.

We're coming up through France in the middle of Oct taking our friends around the Normandy beaches and will be using Aires or wilding.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've often been in December and will be again this year and have only ever been on one aire where we couldn't get any water and that wasn't because it was turned off it was because it was frozen.

Denise

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We've often been in December and will be again this year and have only ever been on one aire where we couldn't get any water and that wasn't because it was turned off it was because it was frozen.

Denise
Yeah we do the Xmas markets in northern France and Belgium in December , I will unashamedly post my photo of grave lines yet again , this was a week before Xmas , last year and they had the best market of all we went to(y), I know this is not what you are asking but you can see there is plenty room on aires after August
image.jpg

Deleted User

Denise

Blooming eck you've been lucky (or we've been really unlucky!!)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You'll be fine. We're going somewhere over half term as well.

We've been in February and over New Year on aires with no issues whatsoever. Never not been able to get water. Can also recommend Normandy as great for a short trip.

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for your replies. Mickyc when you said "blooming eck you've been lucky!!!!" did you mean that its usually full at that time of year or what?
We will order the Aires book it sounds good.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
far cheaper to get a french aires book over there . cheaper and makes you learn or refresh your french.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for your replies. Mickyc when you said "blooming eck you've been lucky!!!!" did you mean that its usually full at that time of year or what?
I assumed he getting water! Certainly not likely to be full.

Denise

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have stayed at the La Mailleraye Sur Seine (Normandie) aire several times, fun to watch the ships on the river plus there are shops and restaurants within easy walking distance.

If you want to travel down the east side of France, I can recommend the aire at Charleville Mezieres. There are loads of great aires in France you are spoilt for choice.

Best get the 'All the Aires' book from Vicarious Books - well worth it.

Have fun.

Paul

Deleted User

I meant that Denise was really lucky never to have discovered a water tap isolated October onwards (or I have been really unlucky!!) there are many examples though of others making similar comments regarding isolated taps out of season.

As I said in my post though it's not a major issue as most will still be on, but I stand by my advice that some are isolated and you should travel full.

I would advise this any time of the year to be honest, but am aware that others disagree.

You will certainly find room though. :)

Enjoy (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We travel down in December and I have to say most are turned off due to hard frosts.

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
thanks for your replies. we have just ordered the aires books
Pay attention to the GPS format used by Vicarious because it is not the same as all other books. They are invariably very accurate in my experience but you should also read the directions given too carefully because they are well researched. The similar French books are less bulky but are thin on detail.

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
You will need to be selective because most of the main stream places will be closed. Most aires happily will be open but possibility busy. I would advise getting to 0laces early rather than later.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Pay attention to the GPS format used by Vicarious because it is not the same as all other books. They are invariably very accurate in my experience but you should also read the directions given too carefully because they are well researched. The similar French books are less bulky but are thin on detail.
With the apps you just click on ROUTE and good old Google maps directs you like a sat navigation to your chosen aire..Much easier than a book.BUSBY.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
With the apps you just click on ROUTE and good old Google maps directs you like a sat navigation to your chosen aire..Much easier than a book.BUSBY.
Google maps wouldn't have been quite as good 7years ago šŸ˜‰

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Busby while I have your attention. Do you have a private number plate which is Busby?

Gina

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back