France in November (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If there was a way I would change the thread title to "France and Northern Spain in November.
I've always considered my self a bit of a francophile, we do own a home in Brittany, but the more time I spend in Spain the more it is becoming my favourite country.

We have had a few holidays in Spain, but many years ago.
Earlier this year we drove through on our way to and from Portugal but didn't linger.
Reading posts on forums in the early days of owning a motorhome there seemed to be many tales of rogues and villains throughout Spain which rather put us off.
Over the last 7-8 years we have spent lots of time in France and not ventured south of the Pyrenees.
Perhaps we have been wrong all that time as I have been hearing nice things said about the Spanish of late.
Should I now be thinking of Spain in a new light?
As we are en-route there I do hope so.

Richard.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If there was a way I would change the thread title to "France and Northern Spain in November.
I've always considered my self a bit of a francophile, we do own a home in Brittany, but the more time I spend in Spain the more it is becoming my favourite country.

Love France but prefer Spain myself,,BUSBY,,

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

Not a site expert but I think if you PM Jim he can change it for you. (y)

Loving your travel reports and photo's - Don't stop please :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Earlier this year we drove through on our way to and from Portugal but didn't linger.
Reading posts on forums in the early days of owning a motorhome there seemed to be many tales of rogues and villains throughout Spain which rather put us off.
Over the last 7-8 years we have spent lots of time in France and not ventured south of the Pyrenees.
Perhaps we have been wrong all that time as I have been hearing nice things said about the Spanish of late.

Richard.

Think reports of rogues and villains in Spain is a bit like reports of gas attacks,,greatly exaggerated or fantasy. Don't think Spain has ever been better or worse than any other European touring destination,,Criminals every where you just have to be alert..Been touring in Spain since 1999 and never had any serious problems,,BUSBY,,No doubt some one will prove me wrong,,:D:D

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp

Richard.

We live in France for 9 months of the year and Spain for 3, the more you explore both countries off the beaten track the more you'll like each of them...

The only thing we don't like are the huge campsites which are often full to overflowing around the southern coast during the winter...

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Think reports of rogues and villains in Spain is a bit like reports of gas attacks,,greatly exaggerated or fantasy. Don't think Spain has ever been better or worse than any other European touring destination,,Criminals every where you just have to be alert..Been touring in Spain since 1999 and never had any serious problems,,BUSBY,,No doubt some one will prove me wrong,,:D:D

Pickpockets in Benidorm has been our only problem and someone spiking a tyre in Moraira..

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Moraira,,its full of wrinklies,,they call it Gods waiting room,,,BUSBY.

But there must have been one or more with a grudge, the local British owned tyre dealer reckoned he would get many foreign owned cars etc. coming to him with what he thought were holes made by an old fashioned compass...His record was 9 cars in one day...

I did ask him he was paying commission to the culprits...he didn't find it funny..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
But there must have been one or more with a grudge, the local British owned tyre dealer reckoned he would get many foreign owned cars etc. coming to him with what he thought were holes made by an old fashioned compass...His record was 9 cars in one day...

I did ask him he was paying commission to the culprits...he didn't find it funny..

My bet its the tyre dealers son,,BUSBY:D:D

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting

Richard.
I do hope you are not disappointed, especially as it's partly down to me you are on your way here.
I will add that all the Spanish we have met have always been very friendly and helpful. We would normally avoid the hot tourist spots like Benidorm though. The nearest we got was Denia and that's another superb out of season destination with a very different campsite but just as attractive in its own kind of way.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I do hope you are not disappointed, especially as it's partly down to me you are on your way here.
I will add that all the Spanish we have met have always been very friendly and helpful. We would normally avoid the hot tourist spots like Benidorm though. The nearest we got was Denia and that's another superb out of season destination with a very different campsite but just as attractive in its own kind of way.

Albir Altir and Calpe just north of Benidorm are much quieter and all lovely coastal towns,,BUSBY,,

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We did a bit of shopping this morning at the local Lidl then spent a couple of hours cycling in and around l'Estartit checking out a couple of bars and the new jetty.
WP_20161119_002.jpg

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Weather has been a bit overcast today but still warm. We decided to try reach Montgri castle on the hill overlooking the area. We set off on the scooter following a route on the gps. The road soon turned into a rough track and we were following signs to a remote chapel in the hills, Santa Caterina. Surprisingly there were a few cars on the track but we assumed they were coming or going from the chapel. We then spotted what appeared to be a large number of cars parked up and were stopped at them by a policeman. The road is closed for the fiesta we are told. So we parked up and followed the stream of people walking up this fairly steep track and carrying bags,chairs, rugs and allsorts for another kilometre before we reached the chapel. There were hundreds of people, mostly sat around large communal tables enjoying bbq's or portions of paella being cooked in huge pans over open fires. There was a band with a strange mixture of instruments, another group were dancing and people kept wandering up the bell tower to ring the church bell randomly. We had a look in the chapel and the internal decorations were unbelievably extravagant for such a remote church building.
Apparently the festival is to commemorate the saint who saved the city from the plague. It's certainly well supported by the locals.
Rain is forecast for the next couple of days but then back to sunshine.
WP_20161120_004.jpg
WP_20161120_008.jpg

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Brilliant!!
It's always a joy to just come across things like that.
Seeing them dancing in a circle holding hands reminds me of watching a group of children dancing when we were last on the Costa Brava, 40 something years ago.
The traditional dance is called the Sadana (or something similar) if my memory is still working.

Richard.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We are gradually making our way towards Spain through some very mixed weather.
After passing through very cold and wet weather driving down from Calais we arrived at La Mailleraye to sunshine.
Heading south we went through drizzle, sunshine, heavy rain and made it to Lamotte-Bouvron in watery sun and a balmy 15ºc.
Despite the cloud and drizzle the colours of the trees are absolutely brilliant. They were so bright that it looked as though the sun was shining on them as we drove through the forests lining the A20. If only we had a bit more sun and a lot less cloud it would be truly spectacular.
Now at Rodez Aire, after the bonkers sat-nag took us on a tour of the narrowest and steepest back streets in the city. Grrrr!
Despite the altitude of almost 2000ft it was 15ºc again when we arrived a couple of hours ago.

Over the hills and on to the A75 tomorrow and will probably stop at Gruissan for the night. If the weather is nice we may stay a couple of days before crossing to Spain.

Richard.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
We are gradually making our way towards Spain through some very mixed weather.
After passing through very cold and wet weather driving down from Calais we arrived at La Mailleraye to sunshine.
Heading south we went through drizzle, sunshine, heavy rain and made it to Lamotte-Bouvron in watery sun and a balmy 15ºc.
Despite the cloud and drizzle the colours of the trees are absolutely brilliant. They were so bright that it looked as though the sun was shining on them as we drove through the forests lining the A20. If only we had a bit more sun and a lot less cloud it would be truly spectacular.
Now at Rodez Aire, after the bonkers sat-nag took us on a tour of the narrowest and steepest back streets in the city. Grrrr!
Despite the altitude of almost 2000ft it was 15ºc again when we arrived a couple of hours ago.

Over the hills and on to the A75 tomorrow and will probably stop at Gruissan for the night. If the weather is nice we may stay a couple of days before crossing to Spain.

Richard.

If you fancy a change try the route Rodez, Albi, Castres, Carcassone, Limoux, Quillan, Perpignan...

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you fancy a change try the route Rodez, Albi, Castres, Carcassone, Limoux, Quillan, Perpignan...
Looks like an interesting route but one for another day I think.
With very iffy weather I'm inclined to play safe this time. We have done parts of that route in the past and will definitely try it at some time.

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We had some pretty wild weather early this morning. Thunder, lightning, heavy rain and fairly high winds. Fortunately we'd taken our awning down in preparation as did our neighbours. All is calm now, the sun is out and everywhere is drying up nicely. We are expecting some more rain showers over the next couple of days but clearing up and sunny skies again by Thursday.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Left Rodez this morning in light rain which got heavier as we drove. By the time we reached the A75 it was so dark that all the street lights were on at the junction.
Torrential rain as we drove south towards Millau but the sky cleared a bit as we dropped down into the valley, round the town and up the other side. Even got a good view of the bridge although there were clouds hanging round the sides of the valley.
South of Millau we ran into thick fog (cloud) for several miles until we started to descend from the hills.
Glad we opted for the motorway route rather than a more winding cross country road, as the traffic was very light and it is much easier to follow a straight and wide road in those conditions.
Now at Gruissan Aire (appears to be free at the moment as the office is closed and the barrier was open :D) where it is a pleasant 18ºc with some cloud and occasional sun.

Richard.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Don't wind your awning back out just yet Paul.
Just had a look at weather forecasts and found this:-
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...o-heighten-flood-threat-france-italy/61767049

Storms and flood risk to eastern Spain and France.

Richard.
It's been out all day, but I'll probably take it in tonight. There's been hardly any wind since this morning and we've had some fine sunny intervals. We're out cycling at the moment and it's just become overcast but still warm and dry. The centre of l'Estartit is still partly flooded and they've got diggers clearing the sand banks which are stopping the storm drains emptying into the sea.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Richard. If you're still heading for Les Medes and you want to look us up we are on K21 which is the bottom of the first row. We are going to be here for another week now.
Can't be a bad site if you are staying longer. (y)

We intend to head that way tomorrow, depending on the weather.
If it's tipping down we may just stay here and batten down for the day. :)

Will look forward to seeing you in a day or two.

Richard.

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Been windy and heavily overcast today but dry up until about 7pm. We've spent most of the day in the van reading apart from a short walk to watch the sea crashing onto the shoreline. We're in the middle of a storm now with thunder and lightning going on all around us. Watching the lightning with all the lights out is quite spectacular.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back