France in march

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sally47, Nov 22, 2015.

1. sally47

sally47 Funster

Want to go to France in March but being put off a it as all campsites are closed and most aires turn the water off or can anyone correct me

2. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Yes ... I can correct you, look for www.campingcarpark.com
    I have posted a thread about it, but I have no time right now to look for it... may be @ScotJimland can if any time? thanks in anticipation Jim!

Amicalement
    Frankie:)

3. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I may be wrong here but I thought the French tourist season officially began on the Easter weekend, which next year is in late March. We toured France from the Ardeche to the Ile de Re just before Easter a couple of years ago and didn't encounter any dry aires. It's not like you need to top up your water at every aire anyway. What we did encounter was some wonderful places largely devoid of tourist hordes, for example having the Pont d'Arc pretty much to ourselves for two glorious sunny days with no parking fees and no ruddy kayaks swarming down the river. The main thing to watch out for is that you've bagged a spot for the Easter weekend - remember Good Friday isn't a Bank Holiday in France, so you can make good use of it to find somewhere before everyone else turns up.

4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Can't help with campsites but where on earth did you get the idea that most aires turn off water?

We've been in the winter several times and never not been able to get water.

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. brynric

brynric Funster

Hmm, partly right. We were there in a very cold March a couple of years ago. We found that several Aires Lacked water, especially in the higher regions, but not to cause any problems if you're careful.
    On the other hand it was wonderfully (strangely) quiet. We camped right next to the beach at Leucat Plage. It's obviously a very popular Summer destination but the village was like a ghost-town out of season. There were no shops open at all in the tourist part. It was also alarmingly cold and windy for the Mediterranean. But that's March for you.
    The tourist season can be quite short in France. Restaurants have more limited opening and while more camp sites are open around Easter, facilities like bars etc may not be. We called at a couple of sites where we were the only tourers there. But that meant a choice of pitches and a quiet pool.
    Enjoy it!

7. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

We haven't found much problem getting water returning through France in March. Going the other way in October/November it can be more problematic, but we now know points that we can use. Emptying toilet waste has never been a problem even with the water off, as we have a tank full of waste water to use to swill the cassette and clean the borne.

8. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

• Like Like x 1