France here we come

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by garjanco, Jun 8, 2016.

1. garjanco

garjanco Funster

Ferry booked on Sunday to Cherbourg aiming to take 2-3 days to ile d'oleron probably spend a week just relaxing on the island and then 3-4 days back to Cherbourg.
    Planning to stop on Aires and Acsi sites but nothing booked any suggestions great fully accepted
    Can't wait love motorhoming in France

Gary and Janet

• Like Like x 8
  2. Terry and Jan

Terry and Jan Funster

Same here, it's Santander next Saturday then a look around Spain before making our way up through France to Roscoff for the ferry back.

• Like Like x 3
  3. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Have a great trip!

4. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

Just had a couple of days in. I'll doleron. Now moved down near Pau. Very hot! 32 Degrees today.

5. Hellski

Hellski Funster

Have a great trip to France

Trust you're still enjoying the Ixeo 680g(y)

6. garjanco

garjanco Funster

Certainly are still enjoying the 680g trouble is work gets in the way
    Really looking forward to 2 weeks in france with hopefully lots of sun, wine and fab food
    Gary and Janet

7. garjanco

garjanco Funster

Thanks guys we will try really hard to enjoy it
    Gary and Janet

8. garjanco

garjanco Funster

Parked up on the dock at portsmouth on the 9.00am to Cherbourg planning on maybe couple of hours driving tomorrow and stopping on aire then heading down to la Rochelle for hopefully some sun :coolest:

9. wigster

wigster Funster

Enjoy :)

France i mean not pompey dockside (y)

10. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Great! Keep us updated

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Have a good trip - you should now be on the ferry. :)

I know it's been mentioned on here numerous times but with the CamperContact app you can easily find good aires. I use the filter function to find those rated say 7 or higher which have a loo emptying point. This will reduce the number you can see on the map which simplifies the choices. Check the photographs of the aire to see if it looks good then with their POI file loaded on the satnav off you go.

Other websites are available of course, use whichever you like best. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

Hope you find some sun, think we had the best sun last week, raining but warm-La Roch Bernard!

13. wanderingyp

wanderingyp Funster Life Member

I am on municipal campsite at Marans, half an hour en route north of La Rochelle, site Camping Le Bois Dinot - fantastic - site run by really helpful friendly woman, in a natural wood, loads of birds, walking distance to SuperU and to canals (lots of cycling paths round here),good vibes so decided to stay based here while waiting for 3 weeks for other half to arrive in La Rochelle sailing from Guernsey. Miles should say kilometres of cycle paths along canals either direction to Marais Poitevin or La Rochelle, and easy to drive Smart to beaches Aigullon, La Tranche, La Faute sur Mer etc and can do Ile de Re and Ile d'Oleron from here too. There are also plenty of places in Marans for motorhomes to park and stay -by canal, first right after this campsite and by Port of Marans a right turn further up, and at cack of Super U an aire. I am staying on site, where they have done me special rate for staying for 3 weeks, 9 Euros a night and I get free wifi on my pitch!

We usually stay on aires but with car here as well and staying as a base in one spot and needing facilities while based in one place on my own this made sense to stay here. Feel very secure in such a lovely environment.

On way down stayed at Messac Guipry aire by port of Messac on the Villaine and at very nice ASCI site at Vendrennes near Puy du Foy.

Hope you enjoy this area but unfortunately the weather doesn't look too good for you -rain and more rain now and not due to change til thursday or friday. It was really hot and sunny when we arrived -what a change but week after looks good.

14. garjanco

garjanco Funster

Thanks for your replies guys/girls. We arrived on aire this afternoon on d'oleron, just staying for 1 night. It's warm but raining on and off. Going to move tomorrow but not sure where, maybe to the top of the island. Weather is disappointing to say the least. X

15. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Oleron aires include the ex-campsite (large grass pitches and EHU) just outside Chateau d'Oleron, a very similar ex-campsite at Saint-Denis towards the top end of the island, and about halfway up you can overnight next to the waterpark at Dolus d'Oleron with good access to cycle tracks. There's others too but the above are the ones we've been to.

There's also the campsite by the moat at Chateau d'Oleron which is only a couple of Euros more than the aire.