France at end of March

Discussion in 'France' started by stevec, Jan 5, 2016.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

We have a couple of weeks annual leave to use before the end of March. We would normally go to my sister in law's house in the Algarve but thought we would try France as we now have a motorhome. It won't be as warm I know but how far south do we need to go to get some weather that is better than the UK? We got as far as the Dordogne in June with our 16 days. And is it better towards the coast or inland? I know end of March can be variable in the UK so expect it to be similarly variable in France. Just looking for a concensus opinion.

2. Phill D

Phill D

i guess you would need to be in the Arles area / Nimes that area seems to have its own micro climate. or maybe even the Perpignone coastal area.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I have sat on the beach in shorts and tee shirt near Royan on the west coast in February. (y)(y)

I would definitely go as far south as you could and stay near the sea, either Med or Atlantic.

But really check the weather forecast before you go and head for the best weather where ever it is. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

We had non-stop lovely weather in the run up to Easter a couple of years ago, touring the Ardeche, Auvergne, Dordogne and Charente-Maritime regions. I'd say your best chance of decent weather is going no further north than Bordeaux. I don't like the French central Med coast much - too many newish resorts. I prefer the Biarritz area if I'm going that far south. You can get a free Meteo France mobile App for weather forecasts - it's not bad.

5. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Most places in France a couple of hundred miles south will probably be warmer than the UK, but as you have 14 days to play with, you will easily get down to the Med. We prefer the Spanish end, and from there, it's an easy jaunt to Barcelona.

6. stevec

stevec Funster

We fancy some cycling. Any idea if the Ile de Re is busy over the Easter weekend. Its at the end of March this year.

• Like Like x 1
  7. moulin 87

moulin 87 Funster

Nowhere will be busy until July/August, camping caristes will be out and about from early March but most everywhere will be quiet....

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. snowdrops

snowdrops Funster Life Member

Just head South, won't be tropical but will be warmer than the north. Somewhere near the Alpilles would have lots to look at and explore. Perfect for Orange, St Remy, Arles, Avignon, Pont du Gard, Les Baux and other bits. We usually take the last chunnel train of the day and get down South by 11 ish next morning, with a stop.

9. snowdrops

snowdrops Funster Life Member

Ile de Re is wonderful, we go there every year for a few days to cycle and chill. Not sure about the weather tho, prob be better than here at least !!!!

10. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Been at Parc Verger end of March 30+ degrees glorious Sun.
    Also been here end of March 15- and wet n soggy!

11. Polar bear

Polar bear Funster

Il de re can be very windy and feel cold in March would recommend the med an for cycling the canal du midi. We did it last year and the weather was quite good.

• Like Like x 1
  12. maison

maison Funster

At our place in Burgundy March can be very cold although we have the ( occasional) warm day.

We would suggest you need to be in the Rhone valley area if travelling in Central/Eastern France. Avignon, Arles etc.

The West coast can be cold, windy and wet in March.

Wherever you go you will find something to do, see and taste. Enjoy!(y)