Free Member
Feb 19, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
A Clss
Exp
Hi Guys
We're heading to France in the summer for the first time by tunnel I'm looking for any advice on really good camp sites for dog and kids or good publications for info?
Many thanks
David

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
we find ACSI rated sites are usually of good standard, search on the web. Not worth you buying the discount card as the discounts only apply out of school holiday season but a good way to search for sites.
You could also use the websites of the ready erected tent holiday people, they are geared up to use sites suitable for families.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
France is a huge country. Where abouts are you heading?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Campercontact is good and only £5.99 per year if you sign up which gives you offline use. Can't help about the West coast as it is an area we tend to avoid, no mountains and full of the British. Stayed at one site, afraid I can't remember the name, North of Biarritz, which was just like a CC site, you had to park to the marker, even their golf buggy had GB plates, reception full of CC pennants, definitely one night only.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
I might be wrong, be gentle, but most campsites on the west coast in July and August will probably need booking well in advance.

We've never had problems with Aires but campsites are another kettle of fish - the good ones get very busy at that time of year and just turning up and hoping to get on them is not the best idea - plan B may be needed.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
We're heading for the west coast in August and staying on a mix of campsites and aires to keep everyone happy.
Some of the campsites I contacted back in October/November were fully booked when I came to make reservations in February.
A lot of sites can often be sixty percent mobile homes and may look large venues on their website but only offer a small number of touring pitches.
Like others have suggested, I'd have a back up plan ready in case they've no room at the inn when you turn up without a booking.

OP
OP
du162

du162

Free Member
Feb 19, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
A Clss
Exp
Thanks for all the replies so far

I might be late but would definitely look at booking before I go Nothing's set in stone so we're pretty flexible just looking for advice on where to go, pros and cons of France for the firsit time

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I don't know what to tell you!

Off the motorways, most main roads now skirt round the small towns and villages along the way these days - but you can miss such a lot. If you use a sat nav try setting it to either quickest or shortest route occasionally - this way it often takes you straight through the middle of places, or down interesting country lanes instead of around them - cos it saves 100 metres. This can be tedious when you just want to get from A to B by X o'clock - but if you want to visit the local butchers, bakers and candlestick makers, we highly recommend it!

Otherwise - all the large supermarket chains have slightly out of town superstores around all major towns so you can do all your shopping without actually visiting the centre of wherever. So you can have an entire holiday in France and hardly ever need to have a few words of school French, if you really want to!

Just go - and go with the flow - it's a lot more civilised still off the motorways and away from major cities - but the kids will need some French if they ever want to get fed in McDonalds LOL - they do usually have staff who speak English but you needn't tell them that, need you? Oh - and they usually serve excellent coffee in there, for mum and dad !

Oh - and we always found the Alan Rogers guides useful and truthful - look - https://alanrogers.com/camping/france - and the very first campsite on the page is where you are heading! what a coincidence !

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Not sure how good your French is but it's really good to learn a few courteous words and phrases, you don't have to be fluent.

The usual bon jour stuff and deux baguettes svp.

Most times when you pay for goods at a supermarket check-out you'll received a "bon journee" and it's polite to respond with something like "vous aussi" .

Have a great trip and, as others have said, ALWAYS have a Plan B for the night.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Hadley's French medical phrase book is a real life saver. When we first arrived in France with but 3 words of french this book was invaluable. When in times of need and stress, even today with a "fair knowledge" of French you resort to mother tongue and a book like this is worth its weight in gold. Find the phrase, show it to the doctor and let them read the French version.
Amazon product ASIN 187273913X

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Not sure how good your French is but it's really good to learn a few courteous words and phrases, you don't have to be fluent.

The usual bon jour stuff and deux baguettes svp.

Most times when you pay for goods at a supermarket check-out you'll received a "bon journee" and it's polite to respond with something like "vous aussi" .

Have a great trip and, as others have said, ALWAYS have a Plan B for the night.

Hadley's French medical phrase book is a real life saver. When we first arrived in France with but 3 words of french this book was invaluable. When in times of need and stress, even today with a "fair knowledge" of French you resort to mother tongue and a book like this is worth its weight in gold. Find the phrase, show it to the doctor and let them read the French version.
Amazon product ASIN 187273913X

OR ..... get my mobile phone number at reach (just ask me via PM ) and send a text message to tell me you need help ....sorted! lol

Amicalement

Frankie:);):cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back