four winds 5000 (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2008
aldridge
Funster No
MH
waiting
Exp
8yrs
Does anybody know why there is no electric heating (with gas) on the Four Winds 5000
like there is on most European and British Motorhomes & also does anyone know if it is
possible to have it done?

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
American motorhomes are built with huge on-board LPG holding tanks to fuel the heating system, hot water and for cooking, thats just the way they are.

It is most likely possible to install an electric heating system, however, why go to the expense when LPG is still relatively cheap and you could simply do as many other RV owners do and carry small electrically powered heaters to use when on hook up.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
There were a couple of companies at the NEC show who were offering these systems retro fitted but it was horrendously expensive. When I spoke to them I was'nt exactly filled with confidence or sure I'd want them pulling my RV apart.
We use a free standing electric powered fan heater as Linda suggested when we're on hook up. I find the gas system very inefficient and it uses a tremendous amount of gas if the weather is really cold, IMHO Euro systems are much better.
We wanted to go skiing in our Rv but have changed our mind because we don't think the insulation or the heating is good enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Does anybody know why there is no electric heating (with gas) on the Four Winds 5000
like there is on most European and British Motorhomes & also does anyone know if it is
possible to have it done?

When (hopefully!::bigsmile:) we get our KountryLite 5th wheel in May, one of the things I'm gonna look into is possibility of DIY fitting the Alde 3010 central heating system as fitted in my current caravan.The BIG question is obviously, will the radiators be able to cope?
It'll be quite expensive but I dont believe THAT difficult to fit and the past 6 months in our twin axle has proved it to be incredibly efficient, cheap to run and convenient. It's been a joy to wake up to hot water and not have to wait for the boiler to warm up a 6am on Monday mornings!:Doh:
The American "blowers" are FANTASTIC and give the ability for rapid heating in cold weather BUT the do eat gas like wifey eats chocolate!:Eeek::ROFLMAO: (Shhhhhhh!)
Over 10 years, we always found that the ideal combination for RV's was a quick blast on the gas blower and then let a 2KW fan heater maintain the temperature.::bigsmile:

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Living full time on our Nursery in our 38' Newmar Kountrystar we long ago stopped using the American furnace. It consumed Gas like there was no tomorrow & it was noisy. We get by now with an Electric Oil filled radiator that positioned right keeps the whole van warm and in extreme conditions we might put a small fan heater on to top it up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back