Four go to France (Mousy, Mr Mousy, Cliff and Ger)

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mousy, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Martin left a message on his work phone explaining he was on holiday until the 14th September, the lap top was turned off and put away. Van stocked up with water, clothes, a minimal amount of food and the all important pool noddles, bikes on the rack we were ready for the off. Hugs and kisses of goodbye to our son Harry now left behind to hold the fort. I was wishing he could of come with us but with college starting next week and animals to look after we sped off the drive.
    A quick text to alert Cliff and Ger to our departure and our holiday was under way.
    We met up with Cliff and Ger and made good time to Dover, where we went into the AA shop and looked at their massive wall map deciding where to go. We'd both checked the weather reports and we're hoping to pootle around Brittany but sadly weather was not playing ball and a decision was reached to head east chasing the sunshine. Now fellow Funsters some of you may have followed our earlier trip this year to Annecy with both our sons and spookily it looked like we would be repeating this journey. After talking each other out of buying any AA crap for our vans, an earlier than booked train was available so we arrived in France at 20.30. Cliff knew of an aire at Arras so dodging the immigrants at Calais, sat navs set, off we went. We both commented on seeing more than last time, if fact we all had an African moment as it's not unusual to see people walking down the motorways there. Although this lot in France didn't seem to trying to sell us oranges or cashew nuts. We saw both men and women mostly young but no kids, they must walk for miles every day. Leaving them behind we arrived to a full aire at Arras. We took a French approach to this challenge by parking half on the pavement and up on the road. Downing a few G&Ts we were in the holiday mood although we took sensible Funster inspired precautions by flicking on our gas alarm, hiding all our electronically controlled devises and sleeping with my (new for the holiday) handbag. As you know ladies every holiday requires a new handbag, a concept Mr Mousy can't comprehend even after 26 years of marriage....

Photos to follow....

• Like Like x 36
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Photos of what, the holiday or the handbag.

enjoy.

Martin

• Like Like x 3
  3. gloworm

gloworm Funster

Sounds like you are off to a good start (especially the G&Ts) Have a great time look forward to the updates (y)
    Sue

• Like Like x 1
  4. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

I envy you Mousy,
    very lucky indeed, going on an adventure in France,,,,, dreams are made of this.
    :love:
    You could not have wished to go with a better couple either - we met Cliff and Geraldine at the Balloon Fiesta - a wonderful couple and no doubt a fun loving pair to be with.(y)

Have a great time all.

Regards,

Trikeman. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ali n Tim

Ali n Tim Funster

Have a great time:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Graham and Jane

Graham and Jane Funster Life Member

Have a super time. Wish we parked next to you both. May the sun always shine.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Have a great time (y):france::wine::cheers:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Madwife

Madwife Deleted User

Glad you have recovered and hope you all have a fantastic time. I agree on the handbag but also have to have at least one pair of new shoes!

Kath

• Like Like x 3
  9. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Oh no, another commando raid on Annecy!:eek:;)(y)
    Have a great time and looking forward to the "and now for our latest update report from our correspondent in ............".

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fenman

Fenman Funster

Glad to read that you are feeling well enough to go exploring again.(y)
    Roll on your fun and our enjoyment of reading all about it.
    Have a great time.:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. themogs

themogs Funster

Great to hear that you're on the mend.(y)(y)
    Have a great time; you're bound to with Cliff & Geraldine(y)(y)

P.S. Martin....I don't understand that handbag thing either:whistle::whistle:

• Like Like x 2
  12. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Have a great time, we thought we might bump (not literally) into you all in Brittany next week as we are off on tuesday to Oustreham,
    ENJOY, Terry & Ann

• Like Like x 1
  13. 2spritelyislanders

2spritelyislanders Funster

:smiley: Have a good trip :smiley: We've just got back and are already planning the return trip :smiley:

• Like Like x 2
  14. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hope you had a good one where in france did you go.

15. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Mousey goes commando, sure I've seen that somewhere before:D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

I'm so jealous! Wish we were with you too. Have a totes amaze balls time. Can't wait to see you all again at Pembrey. Xx

• Like Like x 2
  17. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

oh yea. have a great time. my better halve said no to going over this year. but flying over to costa teguise. in 2 weeks and 4 days. but we are glad you are fit to go . enjoy.(y)

• Like Like x 4
  18. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

What's a "pool noddle", and why are they so important? I haven't got any so maybe I need to buy some to improve my life.

• Like Like x 3
  19. 2spritelyislanders

2spritelyislanders Funster

:smiley: We were with daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren so we did something we wouldn't normally do and stayed on commercial sites, one in Jard sur Mer and the other in St. Catherine de Fierbois. Both very nice but when we go back we're going to use aires.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

We awoke to rain in Arras and after filling up with Gazole €1.06 made our way towards Dole. We had both been there before but we wanted to put some miles under the van and find this elusive sunshine. Also we knew we could have a lovely meal of moules frites. Cliff had suggested we didn't try and "stay up each other's asses" but just make our own way there, staying in touch by text. Roughly 4 hours to Dole.

1 hour in Martin suggested I try driving...I was reluctant but could appreciate the wisdom both to give him a break and in case anything happened to stop him driving I'd then have to do it but under a stressful situation. We pulled over and swapped seats. My hands were damp and my heart was racing, the Moho felt both massive but also deceptively easy to drive, with a slightly sick feeling in my stomach I pulled back onto the motorway straight up Cliffs arse...
    I drove for what felt like hours but was actually only 20 km, martin dosed but kept being woken up by the rumble strip! I did mention to Martin that he was brave to let someone with recent leg numbness drive his 4 tonne pride of joy. He laughed, then looked worried and suggested we swap back "and quit while you're ahead"!

We then got a message from Martins sister and her husband....they were coming to the end of a holiday in a gite near Langres, would we like to join them for a BBQ and stay the night. After careful consideration and consultation we replied "qui" (yes in French). As they live in Belguim we don't see each other often so this seemed a perfect chance to catch up and thankfully Cliff and Ger showed their endless "up for anything" spirit and agreed.
    Still in the rain and with tummies rumbling we stopped off in St Dizier for lunch.

Both managed to drive where we shouldn't through the narrow village centre
    Found this little restaurant.. image.jpg

Had lunch.. image.jpg

Going non toll to Ormoy we passed field after field of sunflowers, now sad and bedraggled with their heads dropping down, how magnificent they would of looked a month a go, bright yellow, heads up worshipping to the sun.

We stopped to shower and spruce up, Cliff found a new friend. image.jpg

Arrived at the gite. image.jpg

space for both vans and finally sunshine.. image.jpg

Andy (brother in law) chef for the night.
    image.jpg
    We enjoyed a lovely evening of wine, food and good company.
    image.jpg

Andy and I sat in the shade of an old apple tree at the bottom of the garden overlooking the river Saone. We watched the sun dip down behind some distant trees, his border collie Alf at our feet. He mentioned his hope to take early retirement next year at 55 and returning to the UK, to me he was still the young man of 25 I met almost 30 years ago, me a mere slip of a girl aged 19 and I couldn't believe the passage of time. Where have those years gone? His dream of owning a gite as well may have taken a bash as my sister in law fell in love with our van and the ideal of motorhome ownership.

After a lovely breakfast we bid our farewells heading down to Annecy again..
    image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 20