Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Relay L2H2
Exp
Few years now
Well the best time to find a leak is when its raining....raining today so all furniture out, lines of silicone sealant to localise the source and away we go ....Pool of water used to appear occasionally and soak the carpet so today I set about finding it . Was not coming from roof , traced it to the trauma water heater base ..watched it dripping in from back of unit...went outside ,there was a run of water beading down from the side window to the top of the trauma vent but not coming out the bottom so all off.. cleaned up the fascia and lots of silkia and screwed it all back on ..yippeeee no more drip and now drying out ,then furnishings back. Beer to celebrate. Worth checking all exterior van vents and fixtures...as the wood base to the heater was somewhat rotten with wet ,how many years had this been weeping ? .Anyway the thought of how much I saved by not taking this in to a dealer for investigation has made my week ! excellent. :thumb:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Crumbs, Flashkim.. Glad you found yours. Still looking for mine.:Sad: Joy

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Well done Kim!

It just goes to show keeping a van damp-free isn't rocket science!

It also demonstates the need to regulaly inspect your own van. One damp test a year isn't much good if you spring a leak the following day. 364 days of water coming in can cause a lot of trouble!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
flashkim

flashkim

Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Relay L2H2
Exp
Few years now
Well done Kim!

It just goes to show keeping a van damp-free isn't rocket science!

It also demonstrates the need to regularly inspect your own van. One damp test a year isn't much good if you spring a leak the following day. 364 days of water coming in can cause a lot of trouble!

When it dries out I am going to redo the BBQ out, Mains socket and the other cut ins to the side walls ..just to be sure.
Now I have the bug, those roof lights will get a check and reseal ,I wont rest easy till there all done. happy days Kim :Cool:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our Chaussons will have very similar contruction.

Ours had peeling sealant along the corner capping over the overcab. The roof here is very flexible and I believe it is this which causes the sealant bead to peel.

I dug out the joint with a sharp scraper and renewed this sealant bead recently.

OP
OP
flashkim

flashkim

Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Relay L2H2
Exp
Few years now
Our Chaussons will have very similar contruction.

Ours had peeling sealant along the corner capping over the over cab. The roof here is very flexible and I believe it is this which causes the sealant bead to peel.

I dug out the joint with a sharp scraper and renewed this sealant bead recently.
I had the bodywork come away just behind drivers door and the same passenger side used the caravan sealant glue to reattach ..amazing is it not, only 5 years old and just up to 5,800 miles!! As the dealer who sold this originally had gone bust shortly after the sale , I have updated my details to Chausson in France ,they emailed me to confirm I am now registered as the owner, very efficient I thought

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
All coachbuilts rely on sealant to keep out the rain. If it is split,it will leak!

If it's any consolation, I think our Chausson is much better than our Elddis was!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
What are the symptoms.......Kim

Water dripping from the ceiling.:cry: I put new sycoflex on the joint nearest to the leak but it is still soaking wet on the ceiling. I think Hilldweller going to peep at it when we get to Chester. x

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Water dripping from the ceiling.:cry: I put new sycoflex on the joint nearest to the leak but it is still soaking wet on the ceiling. I think [HI]Hilldweller going to peep at it when we get to Chester[/HI]. x
Crikey that could be risky .... make sure you are chaperoned:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back