found some damp

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by freelanderuk, Oct 3, 2013.

1. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

i noticed a couple of small marks on the skin of the van near the toilet cassette door and realized that they were small corrosion marks, i open the door and removed the inner cover to find rotted wood

the marks can be seen on this photo
    [​IMG]

i then removed the thetford locker door to find that some of the non setting mastic had dried up and cracked allowing water to penetrate in to the wooden frame, the wood was not to damp as we have had a fairly dry spell in Lincolnshire just lately, started to remove the timber that was rotted ( then remembered the camera )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

removed all the bad timber frame back to good wood and treated with ronseal wet rot timber hardner , you paint this on and it soaks in to the wood and hardens over 6 hours , i even used a syringe with a long 4inch tube to inject the treatment ether side
    of the timber i could not get to

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i will leave the treatment to work over night then another coat in the morning and the treat some new wood and replace the frame and new non setting mastic on the door frame and back together :Smile:

there was no smell of damp or any damp patches in the van so if i had not seen these small marks i hazard to guess how much longer it would have been leaking

• Like Like x 6
  2. peter marshall

peter marshall

Well spotted and a good repair. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb:

3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Looks like you were real lucky to have caught it when you did... :thumb:

Just out of curiosity, how old is the van.. ?

4. freelanderuk

Its a 2002 Autotrail Cheyenne

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We've just had a similar experience with our van. There was a damp patch at the rear offside corner which we have had fixed professionally.

Luckily Dave Newell spotted it when he fitted our rear view camera and we were able to get it fixed before it was too serious. It could have been a long time before I spotted it as it was hidden from normal view by the locker floor covering and not obvious.

6. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Funster

Well spotted and good repair, I am amazed that in this day of age that these things are still made with timber, surely some sort of composite / plastic or even aluminium would be a more suitable material?

7. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Noticed that in the same location of our Hymer, the bottom ply was slightly rotten. Sides are OK, as are the door seals, and so I have put it down to years of sliding an unwiped cassette into its holder.
    Nice repair though, thanks for the piccies.

8. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Well spotted and well sorted!

I bet you have a full history of hab services and damp checks too!:Wink:

9. freelanderuk

I am sorry to say but no hab checks or damp check only the ones I do

10. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Just out of interest, how did they fix that?? I have a dose of the rear end sponge myself, but it down to years of spray kickback. I was thinking of cutting it out, replacing the bad flooring, then plating over from the outside.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

soft white pine will always be cheaper than plastic or aluminium extrusions, so the converter will always use it.

you should see some timber in American motorhomes.
    if it cant be seen then any old bits of packing case/pallet and reclaimed sterling board (chipboard) sheeting is used

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The work sheet lists
    • Remove & reseal rear corner moulding
    • Remove & reseal rear bumper
    • Remove rear floor as required (inner & outer skins)
    • Replace timber work as required
    • Renew inner & outer floor skin as required

The workshop foreman reckoned ingress was probably through screws holding the rear bumper on, where the sealing had gone. Apparently the bumper is screwed through into the floor.

13. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Funster

It always comes down to cost! But for how much a motorhome costs they should use better materials but thats a whole different debate:RollEyes:

14. Wildge

Wildge Funster

Did Dave do it or are you at liberty to mention the firm. We have had our van supposedly treated and it would be nice to have a second opinion.
    Thanks Bill

15. JJ

JJ Funster

Thank you Chris for this informative and useful thread.

Will be very interesting to many.

freelanderuk ROCKS.

JJ :Cool:

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

No, it isn't the sort of work Dave does. He did recommend a firm in Cannock but that is a long way from us. We had the work done locally at Teesside Caravans. We had experience of their approach when they did the assessment of the damage to our Autoquest after it had been "Asda-d".

17. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I like that Graham! A man who keeps stuff!! I was thinking something like........Take out the rear locker floor, jigsaw back into firm stuff, replace with same thickness, held in place by 'T' bar alloy strip, replace locker panels, then alloy tread-plate underneath, covering the join, and attach to rear bumper support, side timbers, and existing/new floor with a few of Screwfix best.

As required, of coarse.........That makes the bill bigger!:cry:

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Not long - we only got the van back on Monday :BigGrin:

As it happens, the bill came in on estimate - which indicates they know what they are doing with "as required" :BigGrin:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  19. sedge

sedge Funster

As the person who used to have to type husband Mk 1's car bodywork estimates, the 'as required' bit wasn't so he could make more money. He knew within a certain parameter how much 'something' he would need to use and his price reflected that range - but he couldn't say eg exactly '1.4 litres of paint' or '0.8 L of thinners' - so the price would include (say) 1.5 L paint and 1L thinners - if it used double that, then he'd done it wrong and it was his fault, so couldn't charge Mr Customer for his cock up.

Same with welding for MOTs etc - usually charged on how many hours it ought to take - which included gas, welding rods and however much flux as it took ! (Plus the wear and tear on T shirts, overalls and underpants, as he did set fire to em a few times!)

• Like Like x 4
  20. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Er, what the hell is a Mk1 husband?? Is it girlie talk?? "Hi Ethel, hows the Mk1"? "Oh, got rid of him. Paint was flaking, his vinyl roof kept slipping off at traffic lights, and he was mis-firing on a long pull. Took him to the garage, turns out he had a bent con-rod. I always suspected his timing was out. Bought a Mk2, much younger model, and boy, can he go! Just have to show him my right foot and WHOOSH"!
    "Yes love, know what you mean. Mine kept leaving skid marks. Put him in the paper under 'used but abused', should have seen his face when they towed him away".

:Rofl1: