Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
This is a fantastic discussion!
And a great advertisement for this group!
It may be a fun site but we can discuss serious subjects too!

playbyte

xMember
May 4, 2008
Kirton-in-Lindsey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry Guys,

My intentions were not to open up a "can of worms" about this.

I did, in no way, feel pressurised to contribute.:Cool:

I did so, as a way of saying

"A BIG THANK YOU"

to everyone who has helped out in the past, and the untiring dedication of Jim, Bryan, their Families, and others who keep this site running.

Many Thanks to all. Link Removed

I agree and this echos my sentiments exactly.
I would be more than happy to have the "£" symbol removed.
Whatever the outcome, I know how much work goes into this site and Jim and Bryan will continue to do their best for all members, Remember you cannot please all of the people all of the time.
We are all entitled to our opinion and all we ask is that our opinion is respected even if disagreed with.
Playbyte

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tony Santara

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Just to clear up any confusion on my motive for this post.

I was not having a go at anyone in particular I was just airing my thoughts on the fact that a symbol was used to identify cash doners to the forum I didn't see the neccessaty for this.

Some posters have quoted American Dreams post saying he didn't want to open a can of worms..... Steve (american dream) please don't think i was targeting you or your thread on avatars this was never the intention

The intention was however not to have members feel that because some had donated they would look bad if they didnt contribute also

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Tony,

I totally understand your sentiments and the reason for posting.

I was initially surprised when the mention of contributions arose, and the first thing I knew of this was when the £ signs started appearing.

I do feel it appears that those who do not contribute, should do so. That is not the case as Jim has said.

I voluntarily donated because I have had a lot of support and useful advice from members on the site.I am very thankful for this.I have no problem with the £ sign disappearing.

I certainly don't want it to appear as though there is a class system running here.

I didn't take it that anyone was having a go at me.:Cool:

I'm here for the fun and comradery of the site and to offer assistance when I can.

Cheers Tony.:thumb:

Last edited:
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
My tuppence worth :

I can see where many of the "negative" comments are coming from here - Motorhome Facts started with a contribution system..........infact I was shot down in flames by the mods the very first time I posted and was promptly PMd by one of them who suggested I could redeem myself for introducing myself as "this is me and this is what I do" by making a monetary contribution to the sites owner.

That said, I choose to sponsor Fun because of what the site is and what it stands for and because I want to............oh, of course I get business from it too :Smile:

Perhaps ditch the £ sign Jim, a simple "forum sponsor" is, in my mind, sufficient if the donor so chooses to have it displayed under their avatar.

OP
OP
Tony Santara

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
My tuppence worth :

I can see where many of the "negative" comments are coming from here - Motorhome Facts started with a contribution system..........infact I was shot down in flames by the mods the very first time I posted and was promptly PMd by one of them who suggested I could redeem myself for introducing myself as "this is me and this is what I do" by making a monetary contribution to the sites owner.

That said, I choose to sponsor Fun because of what the site is and what it stands for and because I want to............oh, of course I get business from it too :Smile:

Perhaps ditch the £ sign Jim, a simple "forum sponsor" is, in my mind, sufficient if the donor so chooses to have it displayed under their avatar.

Hi Lindy
I'll give you your change (tuppence worth) next time I see you
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My tuppence worth :

Well spent tuppence:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Jim!
The reward donors get is a feeling inside they have done something good!
If they require anything else then they have done it for the wrong reasons!

I have read through these posts and must thank Tony and Ruth for bringing it out into the open in the first place. A good post.

DD you're comments quoted above are absolutley spot on in my view.

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
I've only just seen the thread. I personally think the £ sign should go as there is a danger of it being wrongly interpreted by new browsers and becoming divisive amongst members.
I once belonged to a company that made great play of it's staff's charity contributions which were entirely 'voluntary' but each offices percentage of employees contributing was published! Thereby pushing the managers to get the non-contributors on the list. I resented it. What I do with my money is my business and I was making contributions in a different and more personal way.
Jim and Bryan have, and continue to make, a huge effort to keep things going - we could assist by making suggestions that might generate revenue without affecting the purpose of the site - I've already sent one to Jim.
Jim one for you:
Your signature asks for donations because there were requests for such information as to how it could be done. Personally I don't think the request should be there - it gets people wondering what it's about, what am I getting into, will I be expected to contribute. If people are motivated enough to contact you about contributing then you can PM them how. I think Pennants and Stickers are OK people are buying something and are simply motivated by the thought that it's helping the site.
Hope I haven't trod on anyone's toes.:RollEyes:
Keith

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
This is a wonderful site and there are different ways to donate.

I personally think there should be a choice as to whether people are recognised or remain anonymous and that the decision should be made by the individual donating.

There is no right or wrong way.

:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back