Forthcoming Costly damage? = 'Silly Boy' !

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by davidallan, Jul 9, 2012.

1. davidallan

davidallan Funster

Yep ., Ive gone and it:Blush::Blush: Put £1.60p worth of PETROL into my Diesel Toad' yesterday...

Maybe its just part of the Ageing process :cry: :Eeek::Eeek:

As soon as I realised.....Stopped and proceeded to put in some £35 worth of DIESEL which it should have had. !!!

Q1 Have I done the right thing ? [Or should I have had it towed in and emptied?]

Q2 Car running ok back to base..BUT Am I risking ruining the CAT or any other bits of the Engine?

Waiting for any Prof' Techy, Mechanicy HELP out there....BEFORE using it again:thumb:

Thanks for all help...David,Liz 'n 'Tilly' dog [A 2 yr old rescue ickle thingy Terrier...., recently renamed 'Achmed the Terrorist, !! ]

2. buttons

buttons Funster

£1.60 not worth worrying about. Just drive a few miles and top up again "with diesel". I did the same but I put put £40 before I noticed it. Cost me an arm and leg to get to the garage and pumped out with new filter etc. They even charged for disposal of the tanks contents.

3. Cardeau

Cardeau Funster

As far as I am aware you should be okay. It's a tiny amount of petrol and should not cause damage. Just keep topping up with diesel to dilute the petrol. Diesel engines are pretty forgiving with small amounts of petrol. Don't do what I did and put £60 of petrol into a new diesel company car!! Luckily I didn't start the engine and had the fuel flushed out by RAC Fuel Assist.

I can guarantee that it is a mistake that you only make once. I'm paranoid every time I fill up now and even check the rubber supply pipes into the head of the forecourt pumps. This was recommended by the RAC guy as he has had numerous callouts due to the pumps holsters being crossed on the front of the pump' Ie diesel pump placed in petrol dispenser and vice versa.

Cardeau

4. aba

aba

i would say dont worry about it after all 1.2 litres in 30 isn't really going to cause an issue in fact it may help if it doesn't get used too much you may notice it being slightly noisier under acceleration but thats just the petrol burning off.

we once put £15.00 of 4 star in a diesel transit then topped up with £40 of diesel it ran ok but was a bit sluggish and didn't start quite as good but by the end of 2 tanks it was back to being its normal self, the week later we had the same hire van and it went like the clappers.

5. Terry

Terry Funster

It should be no problem :thumb:I even topped my tank up with half a gallon of petrol on purpose last yr on the say so of a couple of funsters (vw alan was one :Wink:)who said it clears the injectors-Must admit to few anxious moments but it simply started smoking (white)for about half a mile then cleared and went better than ever :Wink::BigGrin:
    terry

6. sedge

sedge Funster

I did that with a company (hire) car, eek. (Petrol in a diesel)

AFAIK Pete's only done it the once too, a couple of litres of diesel before he realised - in the Blackbird! Filled up to the brim with highest octane unleaded they had. On the mway in France .... We both had instant doubts, thought the proportion might be too great, but anyway it did start and we have to get off this motorway if we can - so we'll just give it a go ....... Don't think it even smoked. Kept topping it up, topping it up. Fine.

7. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

8. buttons

buttons Funster

Just a reminder not to get too complaisant. Running a diesel on petrol will wreck not only you engine also your pump and injectors. All extremely expensive items. So best to keep to the correct fuel. :Eeek:

9. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

It used to be 'the done thing' to add a small amount of petrol to diesel during very cold winters to prevent waxing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I made the same mistake with our previous car (Citroen Berlingo) about 15 months ago. I put £10 worth of petrol in. After asking advice from the garage I filled completely with diesel and had no problems.

11. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

Is there a handy list of what diesel is called in various countries?

12. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

It shouldn't harm your engine, such a small amount.

Craig