Forth Road Bridge

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Big bus man, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Big bus man

Big bus man

Being from down south I had no idea they were building a new Forth Road Bridge, it looked spectacular in the fog with all the lights shinning, still only the support towers in place it looked a bit spooky, well worth a look of you are in the area at it is rare to see a bridge of this size being built.

2. PeteH

PeteH Funster

The Older bridge has potentially serious defects beginning to show in the support cables, some of the strands having already failed!. Hence the need for the new bridge which is to allow the "old" bridge to be refurbished, when it eventually comes on stream.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forth_Road_Bridge

Pete

3. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Its just been mentioned on 'Coast' The wires in the suspension cable are breaking due to water ingress and rusting.
    They have known about for some years and it's likely to be dangerously weakened by 2020.

4. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

They managed to get a Japanese company to halt the corrosion, and probably didn't need the new 'Queensferry Crossing' but the bullish Scottish government pushed on anyway.

Being built by cheap Chinese steel as well.

• Like Like x 5
  5. big bertha

big bertha Funster

I was at the opening of the Forth Road Bridge as a 12 year old school girl, remember Richard Dimbleby commentary and the Queen going passed.

6. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Why does that NOT surprise me!!!!

Pete

7. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

That's because nobody else wanred to supply it.

Transport Scotland confirmed that “no company from Scotland or the UK made a bid for the contract”.

In a statement, it said: “During the procurement for fabricated steel works, no company from Scotland or the UK made a bid for the contract. This would suggest the condition of the market in the UK did not have the capacity to take on an order of this scale.

“A further subcontract for steel fabrication was awarded to Cleveland Bridge (Darlington) – raw steel for this subcontract came from Tata Steel in both Scunthorpe and Motherwell. Contrary to misleading speculation, there were no Scottish bids for FCBC’s steel fabrication subcontracts.

“Tata Steel’s plant in Motherwell manufactures steel plate, it is not a steel fabricator. All of the steel for the south approach viaducts and the twin box sections of the north approach viaduct on the Queensferry Crossing was fabricated by Cleveland Bridge and amounts to over 7,000 tonnes of raw steel.

• Like Like x 4
  8. andy63

andy63 Funster

Some pictures of the new bridge and old from south Queensferry side.
    The new bridge supports
    20150821_093945.jpg
    The new crossing in the background
    20150821_092744.jpg

Another where you might make out all 3 crossings with the support legs for new crossing behind the present road bridge
    20150820_202117.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Maybe the Chinese will be building the bridge for wee ecks not so secret presidential castle!!

10. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

the tendering costs for a project this size would be huge i would think the uk companies realised that with out goverment intervention they didnt have a cat in hells chance of competing on price so decided tendering was a waste of money

• Like Like x 1
  11. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

Public Transport will still continue to use the old bridge once the new one is complete . . .

12. awg

awg Funster

I was also there. I remember having to wave a flag as the queen went past our school. We then we're rushed up to the bridge where we waived again as she crossed the bridge for the first time. The next day I crossed in my dad's car but th traffic on the return crossing was really bad.

Allan

13. olley

olley Funster

Forth Rail bridge built in 1882 still going strong. Forth road bridge built in 1964 still going strong? No, maybe its best if the Chinese do get involved, as it appears we can't build anything nowadays that lasts.

Ian

14. StanandShirley

StanandShirley Funster

Driving over the bridge a couple of weeks ago and seeing the new one brought back memories of been driven over the bridge just after it was opened and thinking it was so big I thought we were driving up a hill and down the other side. Also made me think I am getting old! wonder if I am still around when they build a third one?

15. big bertha

big bertha Funster

My name was pulled out of a hat to represent my class, only thing I've won.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi , this reminds me of a holiday trip to Scotland back in 1982, when my son then 10, & his mate, were sat in the back of the VW Devon, playing I-spy and various other games ( before electronic games). I then pointed out "look lad's this is the Forth road bridge", only to be replied from the both of them sorry we didn't see the other three !!!
    Kid's who'd have um !!!

• Like Like x 3
  17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

And they must have done a proper job.......
    It used to be an ongoing job to paint the bridge from one end to the other then return to the other end and start again....it took a full year to paint hense the saying "its like painting the fourth road bridge" when something was taking an age to complete.
    A couple of years ago it took its last coat of a new type of paint which is good for 10 years with only minor repairs.

18. olley

olley Funster

I think you will find that's the Forth rail bridge you are referring to papa.

Ian

• Like Like x 3
  19. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Close enough.....maybe they should have given the road bridge a coat of wonder paint. ;)

20. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Ah Yes! The rail bridge? 49 Steps comes to mind? (for the "babies" 1930`s B&W Film of John Buchnan`s Book). Or maybe even post war?.

God I AM getting old!!

Pete