Fort william

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by pegleg, Sep 7, 2013.

1. pegleg

pegleg

Hello we went up to the top of Scotland (high lands )mainly ,on the way back we called at FORT WILLAM and went to car park which was for H.G.V. lorry and MOTORHOME ONLY and the H.G.V. were at back of car park and MOTORHOME was at the front and clean painted floor marking, but on the signs said no over night sleeping .WHY ??:cry:

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Most likely because it is a vehicle park - so planning permission is for parking not habitation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

just stay awake but feel more comfy in your jamas

• Like Like x 2
  4. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We stopped at Leeming Bar off the A1 on the way back home. We went into a car park which was for lorries, caravans and everything else other than cars. (Only stopped for a bit of lunch)

The sign said "£15 for overnight parking", but can't remember whether this was for lorries as well as caravans/motorhomes. Seems a bit steep for an overnight stop in a grotty car park:Sad:

Bill

• Like Like x 2
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I would guess that's a truckstop/services.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Scared of gypsies or a caravan site owner is on the local council.

It's very common.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

At the Highland Centre roundabout go down Belford Road, as if your going towards campsite, there a Forestry Commission carpark, just before campsite, cant use the actual carpark as there a hate barrier but park off the road with some fantastic walks up the forestry walk with views of Ben Nevis.:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  8. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Hi Graham, just had a look at your parking website for a place to park the van for a couple of hours in Stranraer, which is less than an hour from us. I can see that it says "awaiting answer to a query" about mh parking. I just wondered how long ago you had asked the council this question?
    Your web page is very informative and you've obviously spent a long time on this:thumb:
    I have a hospital appointment next week, but we might just book into Aird Donald caravan site for peace of mind. Failing that, we might try Morrisons large car park and do a food shop at the same time, then we can get back home the same day.

Margaret:Smile:

9. DGT

DGT Read Only Funster

Hi we too were in fort William in August and parked in the same car park i asked the car park attendent about overnight parking and her reply was that she finished work at 1800hrs and started at 0800hrs in the morning so be up and curtains open befor 0800am and nobody would know you slept there

• Like Like x 7
  10. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Although not in the Highlands, we were going to suggest another possible wild-camping spot would be Loch Doon near the Galloway Forest, (Ayrshire/Dumfries & Galloway borders). However, have just been reading all the comments about what's been happening over the years at this beautiful spot.:Sad: So perhaps have a look at the "wild camping" forum website before deciding what you think.
    Like everything else, it's the mindless idiots that spoil things for those who are responsible...........such a shame:Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks Margaret. It's just coming up to two weeks since I e-mailed D&G council so should expect an answer within another couple of weeks.

If you need to use your van to get to the hospital have a word with the PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) there and they might be able to make arrangements for you to park the van in the hospital grounds. We did that at our local hospital a few years ago when our car was off the road and they were very helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There have been nuisance problems in different parts of the Highland Council area for some years, which is why "No Overnight Parking Signs" were erected in several places. See This Thread for instance.

13. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

If you need to use your van to get to the hospital have a word with the PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) there and they might be able to make arrangements for you to park the van in the hospital grounds. We did that at our local hospital a few years ago when our car was off the road and they were very helpful.[/QUOTE]

Gel, had to go to Papworth Hospital a few weeks back, so to save going back and forth each day, over 200 miles round trip, we tuck ourselves into a corner in a carpark and stayed there, we spoke to the nursing staff and they spoke to the administration people for us, told us to stay there as long as we like.

• Like Like x 2
  14. WillH

WillH Funster

I live in Stranraer so I advise you not to try Morrison's car park, it's too tight. At the old harbour there is parking on the breastworks, no height barrier and no charge, suitable for HGV's, coaches and motorhomes.

Why not park at the hospital, the car park is rarely full and you can probably squeeze in.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. pegleg

pegleg

:Smile: hello me again lol when we were at Fort William motorhome parking there was a couple from ITALY in there motorhome talking to him about the parking there he told me when they came over to England he had stayed in Aldi car park after shopping there, in the morning he had parking ticket on his wind screen he was surprised as its ok in Europe to park in there car park :thumb:

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Aldi introduced controls (which are well sign posted) here because of abuse by non-customers parking for extended periods. Presumably the same abuse does not happen in Italy.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Hi, many thanks for this. My appointment is at the Galloway Community Hospital (Dalrymple Street) and the letter said that parking is "restricted". So will have a look at the harbour and check walking times etc. It's a few years since we've been to Stranraer and we had the car back then.
    Will phone the hospital tomorrow and ask them about parking the van, now that we're over 26 feet and see what they say.
    Many thanks, Margaret:Smile:

18. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Hi Graham,
    Thanks for this information, will phone them tomorrow and check as it's not the main hospital just the "community" one.
    Parking at the main Dumfries hospital is difficult and we wouldn't even trying taking the van in there, so don't know what the smaller Stranraer one will be like for parking. Dumfries would have been easier for me:Sad:
    Will let you know how I get on:Smile:

Margaret

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Yes, I seem to remember Dumfries was pretty easy (in a car anyway) when my Aunt was in there many years ago.

When we wanted to use the MH for our appointment in Middlesbrough they arranged for us to park on a clear area away from the car parks as the barriers were too narrow to allow the van into the car parks - and they didn't charge us :Smile: I also noticed at Stepping Hill hospital in Stockport (when another Aunt was in there) that a motorhome had been allowed to park (seemingly for several days) in an area where parking wasn't normally allowed. Hopefully they will be able to make a similar arrangement for you in Stranraer - looking at it on Google Maps they appear to have one or two suitable spaces.

• Like Like x 1
  20. WillH

WillH Funster

The Lidl is only a short distance away from the Hospital, 3-4 minutes walk tops, why don't you park there. (didn't realise you were a 26 footer).

Rgds
    Bill

• Like Like x 1