Foreign vehicles better than British made? (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I've been to a few of dealers in mainland Europe, not many but a couple in Germany and France, and have not seen a British marque for sale, if the product is as good as we hope how come they do not manufacture vehicles for export. I like the some of the Brit vans, but they seem generally less innovative both in style (no A class) and in functionality, really seem stuck with caravan layouts transferred to a van chassis, (panel vans excepted).

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I've been to a few of dealers in mainland Europe, not many but a couple in Germany and France, and have not seen a British marque for sale, if the product is as good as we hope how come they do not manufacture vehicles for export. I like the some of the Brit vans, but they seem generally less innovative both in style (no A class) and in functionality, really seem stuck with caravan layouts transferred to a van chassis, (panel vans excepted).
Tend to agree with all of that.

I have never seen a mainland European registered British built motorhome, but there are lots of British registered mainland European built ones. I wonder why?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
...........whereas British vans come out of the factory leaking.
This seems to be a theme of yours, but is blatantly not true for all British built vans. There are are a couple of makes that seem to not care how watertight their vans are, but this is the same for a few foreign vans too, from what I have read.
There are plenty of 20+ year old Autosleepers that are cherished by their owners and still as dry as they ever were.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think autotrail where at Düsseldorf show, not entirely sure though...wonder if they dropped their prices to match:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I've had two Swifts and a Compass touring van, our now 13 year old Hymer was our first venture into Motorhomes. I had serious water egress issues with all my tourers, damage was well under way long before damp checks were picking it up! My Swift was just three years old when it cost me a fortune to get sorted.

When I discovered a water leak on the Hymer around the Fiamma roof vent a few years ago I was initially in total panic mode. What a pleasant surprise to learn then all about the PUAL construction.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This seems to be a theme of yours, but is blatantly not true for all British built vans.
IMO it is true British vans are overpriced junk, water ingress has been a major problem in British built Motorhomes and Caravans for over 30 years and they don't bother to do anything about it all the time they have mugs that will buy them. (I have worked in the industry and seen how they skimp on sealants in the assembly process).
There are plenty of 20+ year old Autosleepers that are cherished by their owners and still as dry as they ever were.
Yes there is one & only one model built with a mono GRP shell, no longer produced but they did do a repro run of them a few years ago which they found buyers for at grossly inflated prices. Talking about one model out hundreds and not produced in any significant number.

When I discovered a water leak on the Hymer around the Fiamma roof vent a few years ago I was initially in total panic mode. What a pleasant surprise to learn then all about the PUAL construction.
Was it by any chance a dealer fitted option as I'm not aware of any factory fitted Fiamma parts on Hymers.

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
I am glad i am not one of the mugs and steered clear of a British van and had the great sense to buy foreign all be it RHD and a British dealer so maybe just a half mug. I am sure all the funters who are mugs are grateful for the advice and will try to only buy LHD and Hymer in-future . ( I did buy a new 2006 Hymer B644 and it was a piece of crap but thats another story)

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Our first van was an N and B Flair bought new from Hymer in Blackpool - this is 10 years ago or so. It took a year before they eventually discovered what was causing water to be sloshing around between the double floor which eventually resulted in complete replacement of all side windows. I lost count of how many days off work I took going backwards and forwards to Blackpool. After that, for four years it was a solid van.
So, when we cam to change I wanted to buy one where the manufacturer was close by so if there were any problems they could be sorted and easily and no dealer to worry about which is why our second motorhome came from RS Motorhomes in Doncaster and very shortly our third motorhome (in two weeks time) will also be from them. I describe my vehicle as being built in Yorkshire from girders - they build them tough and strong! Just put up a thread of a few photos as I went to the factory today to check on progress. Pick up is on 27th.
Don't write off the British - we can build great vehicles.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I am glad i am not one of the mugs and steered clear of a British van and had the great sense to buy foreign all be it RHD and a British dealer so maybe just a half mug. I am sure all the funters who are mugs are grateful for the advice and will try to only buy LHD and Hymer in-future
Don't understand your post what has RHD & LHD got to do with it?

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
[

Anybody who suggests that the British car industry produced well engineered and well built products has never had to put up with an Austin Allegro or Morris Ital, like I had to (company cars!). In the seventies my wife has a little 2CV and it was a strong little car with a proper chassis and panels that could easily be removed and were a decent strength. A lot better than the Austin 1100 she replaced it with, which was a rust bucket.

Ironically of course our car industry produces some very good products now. It is just a shame that the companies are all foreign.
And much as I love British motorcycles from the 50's and early 60's they weren't in the same league as BMWs from the same era

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I purchased a swift auto cruise in 2013 brand new van After two weeks the cupboard door under the sink fell of followed a week later by the towel rail and so it went on and on and on so I traded it in for a 2014 new hymer the build quality is far better in my opinion but I am sure there are lots of fellow motorhome owners out there who are more than happy with there British van.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
american made, no leaks, all mod cons, loads of room, so why buy small british or european models

Two reasons.. size and MPG

I owned a yank for 5 years, 36ft Georgieboy Cruisemaster, 5.9lt Cummins Diesel pusher..

lived in it for 3 years .. it was great for full time.. but too big for relaxed touring in Europe.

You need deep pockets to run a yank

George In Morocco.. see link in sig. for sites we used..

Attachments

• DSC_1718_2.jpg
    DSC_1718_2.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 20

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Was it by any chance a dealer fitted option as I'm not aware of any factory fitted Fiamma parts on Hymers.

It was a dealer fitted, It had been on about three years, I had a moan :mad: and they sorted it FOC (y).

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I am glad i am not one of the mugs and steered clear of a British van and had the great sense to buy foreign all be it RHD and a British dealer so maybe just a half mug. I am sure all the funters who are mugs are grateful for the advice and will try to only buy LHD and Hymer in-future . ( I did buy a new 2006 Hymer B644 and it was a piece of crap but thats another story)

I for one would be interested to know why your 2006 Hymer was 'a piece of crap'. I have heard the stories about the later Hymers not being of the same build quality as the earlier ones, but I had a look around a 2007 B544 earlier this year and I can't say I could really find fault. I appreciate looking around is not the same as living with one.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our first van was an N and B Flair bought new from Hymer in Blackpool - this is 10 years ago or so. It took a year before they eventually discovered what was causing water to be sloshing around between the double floor which eventually resulted in complete replacement of all side windows. I lost count of how many days off work I took going backwards and forwards to Blackpool.
It must have been bought with water already in it, because as we all know, Hymers don't leak!
:restmycase:

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Interesting reading, what galls me is that we are going to lose more money than we should when we sell our 2 year old UK built van next spring.
There were so many things wrong with it from new but in the end the manufacturer came up trumps (dealer cowardly and useless) and completely stripped the roof (I know because I watched it being done). 1 year on and it's as dry as a bone, the engineer who worked on it told me it was probably the best built MH bearing that marque!
Pity they couldn't have done that originally.
I am going to have to disclose all this to a prospective buyer and I'm certain that people will walk away. We're only changing it because we now need a 4 berth for family reasons, definitely buying continental!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Interesting reading, what galls me is that we are going to lose more money than we should when we sell our 2 year old UK built van next spring.
There were so many things wrong with it from new but in the end the manufacturer came up trumps (dealer cowardly and useless) and completely stripped the roof (I know because I watched it being done). 1 year on and it's as dry as a bone, the engineer who worked on it told me it was probably the best built MH bearing that marque!
Pity they couldn't have done that originally.
I am going to have to disclose all this to a prospective buyer and I'm certain that people will walk away. We're only changing it because we now need a 4 berth for family reasons, definitely buying continental!

WOW! just looked at your wonderful Flikr link..Its a Swift van? So no surprises there then!

Love your photos! The birds...wondeful! what where the circumstances of the Tony Benn photos:)

Last edited:

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
I for one would be interested to know why your 2006 Hymer was 'a piece of crap'. I have heard the stories about the later Hymers not being of the same build quality as the earlier ones, but I had a look around a 2007 B544 earlier this year and I can't say I could really find fault. I appreciate looking around is not the same as living with one.

Sorry it was a B634 anyhow i traded in a lovely B544 for this and kept it 3 years the fittings inside were very poorly put together it had a u shaped lounge and that fell apart one night the screws were in by the points only i ended up replacing all the joints and new screws and glued. We called it our built on a Friday motorhome. This was our forth motorhome and i did try to repair it but got totally fed up with it and found our present Rapido when up getting a service we have now had that 7 years with little trouble put off hymers. I did park beside my 634 once but did not have the heart to tell them it was my old one.

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Must admit that if I was tempted to buy a foreign vehicle .a rapido would be my choice after looking at the whole picture of price ,quality ,layouts and style...not to say that other foreign vehicles don't have some of my preferences as some of the British made ones do as well ..so you pays your money and and you takes your chance.IMO .

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Just got this months(Dec) edition of MMM check out how many British made vans made their finals awards

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Eight classes starting with camper vans ending in luxury m/homes 4 in each class

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back