foreign MH

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by Steve & Lys, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Steve & Lys

Steve & Lys Read Only Funster

Hi all, we are now stepping up a gear re Full timing from Jan 2014.
    Question : we are going to purchase a left hooker , but should I buy it abroad so everything is compatible with EU regs , ie lights ,drivers door , foreign plate ??
    This will be one of many questions ,sorry
    S&L

2. Phill D

Phill D

would have thought that youd get a better selection of LHD and perhaps price over the water.

3. tofo

tofo Funster

i would sooner drive a left hooker on the continent
    than a right hander

but if i traveled equally in both parts the left hooker would win
    being familiar with the driving in the uk

but i havent driven in europe yet :cry::Doh:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Is it to be registered in the UK? If so, then it will need some conversion if you buy abroad: speedo, rear fog and reversing lights switched, headlight dip altered. If you buy a LHD over here that may already have been done by the previous owner or the selling dealer. As a european vehicle, it will have been produced to EU regulations regardless of whether it is a RHD or LHD.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

I've had 3 Left Hookers all bought in the UK.

Unless the Euro is weak (which it isn't and hasn't been for some time ) you can buy cheaper in the UK, but with less choice obviously.

Not sure why you would want it to be Euro spec. if you plan to register it in the UK.

Pete

6. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

The issue is where you want to register it. It you want to register in the UK, all those nice lights set up for Europe will need to be replaced anyway, so you might as well buy something already converted in the UK. Registering outside the UK could be a nightmare of foreign bureaucracy if you've never lived there and have no address.

There is no problem registering LHD vehicles in the UK. Mine is LHD. I intend to spend about as much time in Europe as UK, so didn't really care which side the door was on.

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

as posted above, you will not be able to keep a foreign plate unless you have a bona-fide address in the country of original registration.

then it would need insuring, MOT (if required) and any road tax in force in that country

not worth the trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Foreign Motorhome

I thought that left hand drives were cheaper in the UK, as most want RHD, so this could perhaps work to your advantage pricewise?

The only small benefit I see for a LHD, is for paying tolls in europe.
    The insurance may or may not be dearer in the UK.

Perhaps someone can advise on that?

I drive RHD in europe and dont see it as a problem, so I suppose driving LHD in UK is no problem either.

S

9. cmcardle75

Indeed. Having the driver on the wrong side is no problem at all. It makes overtaking more difficult, had that is rarely an issue when you weigh 5 tonnes and the idea of going over 50mph makes you shudder at the fuel economy.

Insurance was dirt cheap, really. 350 quid fully comp with zero no-claims. But then, it is on a classic policy, which probably helps.

10. cmcardle75

P.S. The bigger problem than the driver's side is the side of the habitation door. You have to get into the habit of parking on the RHS of the road to make it safer for the kids. On sites it isn't an issue, just park opposite direction to the UK layouts if you don't want to face doors.

11. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Putting the registration aspect to one side (left or right...) I'm sure that the prices in Europe would be cheaper. I can only comment on the fact that there are many more MH's here and new prices appear to be lower to stat with. I'm sure it will depend on brand and models etc but also keep in mind that UK specs tend to be higher, cookers are unheard of in a Euro van.

12. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Buy in the UK it is far simpler, end of story.

Left hooker foreign would be a nightmare unless you live there

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  13. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Our Dethleffs was imported from Germany in 2008. The only modifications were an extra fog-light on the back and beambenders on the headlights.
    In theory the speedo should've had mph on it but no mot'er ever mentioned it.
    So when bringing it over to France all we had to do was remove the foglight and the beambenders... (well, haven't actually removed the foglight - it's now just an extra, as the original one has never been touched) .

• Like Like x 2
  14. frogijock

frogijock Funster

If the vehicle is older than 2012 it will need to be VOSA tested as the EU certificate of conformity has only 51 points and the UK requires 52 . You will also have to have your speedo changed from KPH to MPH (an overlay will do) and a certificate stating this has been done similarly lights front changed (unless the fitted ones have a control to switch the dip either way) rear fog / reversing lights changed over except if you have two of each, I have just been thru all this and will not do it again. :cry:

15. Cocoro

Cocoro Read Only Funster

I've also just imported a MH with a 51 point Certificate of Conformity which was no problem for the Vehicle Certification Agency who issued the required Certificate of Mutual Recognition which if issued means there is no need for a VOSA vehicle inspection. Much to VOSA's disappointment!

I had other issues with the CoC which I think were unique. One being the title of it was in German and the VCA translated it differently so proclaimed it wasn't a CoC. I resolved that only to be told the signature name on the CoC was not an authorised signatory. He was, but more delays. Normally the process is pretty slick.

The lights do need to be changed or switched to a flat beam if the facility allows. Rear fog light to be added or moved to the opposite side and the speedo to read MPH. The speedo can also read of course KPH and other posters are correct in saying that an overlay is accepted. Be aware though that replacing that overlay can be a difficult depending on the vehicle. Also that not all overlays are the same as they are produced as copies of whatever a customer sends to the manufacturer as I found out with the Iveco Daily one. I never knew I was so good with a scalpel!

As far as I am aware nothing needs doing with a reversing light.

Before all this an MOT must be obtained on the chassis number and importantly then a letter signed by a legitimate auto trade business, very carefully worded to state that all the changes have been made. Then with your Certificate of Mutual Recognition you trot orf to DVLA with the necessary forms.

If you don't have a CoC then of course an independent vehicle inspection by VOSA is required but be warned, book well in advance, appointments can be hard to come by.

If it's a LHD you want then the choice on the continent is vast. Preferring German MH's myself I find importing my own the only way to go. The choice here is simply too limiting.

It's true, you will not find many continental vans with full cookers in them but this is absolutely not important for me. Much prefer proper cupboards to an oven I'll rarely use. And while my dear old Mum doesn't mind laboriously emptying the oven/microwave of all the things she stores in them before she can use them, I can't. Bless.

I think the real difficulty in buying abroad is having the time to hunt around. We all know that www.mobile.de is a fantastic source for research but hoofing around to find the "one" can take time if your fussiness is anywhere near my neurotic levels!

I found insuring on a chassis number only was a problem but others haven't. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough. I've now imported two vans, the first was a breeze but that was before March 2012 so the rules were a tad more relaxed. This time was stressy but perhaps more so because I had a schedule to keep. But now as I sit here in my new wagon at the beginning of 'the' trip, I can't say if I would or wouldn't do it again. I think I need a year before I can answer that.

16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I don't know why they build motorhomes with only one rear foglight. The saving must be pence and most UK vans spend a lot of time on the continent.

My Rapido has one each side (and two reversing lights too) so OK everywhere.:thumb:

17. Steve & Lys

WOW , now that what I call a very reply !!!! Once I have gone through all of the great responces I will get back to you.

As an add on we will be full timing in Europe, France, Spain Italy then Eastern Europe , what is the situation with an MOT , please don't say I have to come back every year for an MOT ????

18. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Yes you do!!!!:cry:

And to collect a tax disc, at your registered UK address!
    Not to mention renewing your insurance also!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  19. cmcardle75

Mine had neither of either. I had to fit two of each myself. Although the reverse light has a manual switch, which you have to remember to switch off.

20. Steve & Lys

Hi Johnand Shell ,
    Insurance I can do on line , tax I can get sent to an address where ever I am , BUT this all needs the mot to get the other two , chicken and egg situation :0(
    I am sure I saw on the MOT link re a Euro mot starting in 2015 which would work for us as we start our travels in 2014 , so with a fresh mot we should be OK till 2015 ......I hope ???