ford transit (1 Viewer)

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
does any one know if when on hook up the engine battery recharges as well as the habitation battery .i just went for my mk 7 transit yesterday and it wont start flat battery i was hoping on hook up engine battery will charge any replies appreciated

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have a Battery Master fitted by Van Bitz & works well - don't forget to ask for Funster discount for any members thinking of having them fit/buying one:xThumb: See http://www.vanbitz.com/product/battery-master/
This is fitted free if having a Strikeback alarm fitted
or unit & fitting included in the price if if having a solar panel fitted see
Broken Link Removed
We aren't connected in any way just pleased with their products:xsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My Transit is a 2009 , with the Hab Bat under passenger seat and Engine ( Cab ) Bat under drive seat along side the bat charger ,
i mounted a battery isolater switch through the side of the seat base so i can switch over and connect both Hab and Cab together ,
I conected it in the +ve line between both sets of batteries
ie :- to the out put cable from the charger to the Hab battery and the +ve on the Engine battery ,
This enables the charger to charge Hab n Cab at the same time , i also use the switch to join the Batteries, when i am using Solar to recharge the Cab Battery as well as Hab .
Then i switch it off at night or when we are using the Inverter or lights etc on the Hab Battery ,

Lucas style battery Isolator/cut off switch fxd key 597 ( item: 111036585284 transaction:1113240308001 )
Broken Link Removed£10.99

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We have been told that our 2014 Mk7 Transit DOES recharge both batteries when hooked up. I have not checked this with a multi-meter, but the little LED lights which show engine & Hab battery levels, do go up on both with hook-up.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi , you may well be aware , but on the mk 7 transit the start battery will be isolated unless the engine is running.
if it is to be charged whilst on hook up it will have to have a dedicated charging circuit installed and as said above that will depend on the converter but would be easy enough to check with a meter..
when the ignition is switched on the batteries on mine combine and as long as a start takes place within a given time they continue to be linked. the above is the case with mine anyway , but my van has a start and aux battery fitted from ford..
ta andy

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The same thing happened to me last week on a Mk 7 10plate. Went to take it for mot and battery was flat. As others have said It will not charge through plugging in EHU. I used a battery charger onto the jump point in engine, saves taking drivers seat off. Apparently its the immobiliser that discharges the battery.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
No hard and fast rules on this one!

Its down to the converters and whether they are intelligent enough to mate the base vehicle and caravan electrics properly.

I have come across electrical systems designed to charge the starter battery but didn't due to the converter being ignorant of the function of the Transit's optional factory twin battery set up.

A rewire sorted it!

Our Transit-based van suffered no problems with flat batteries in its original form due to someone being competent in Chaussons design team!

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
thanks for all the replys ive found out the engine battery doesnt charge on ehu but not a problem as ive found the point under the bonnet to jump start it ,it seems that if left for any amount off time the battery goes flat never mind i will just nave to use the van more

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
As far as I can tell the Schaudt electoblock on our MH does charge the Transit engine battery when on EHU. That's from reading the wiring diagram and manual. Next time we're on EHU I will dig out my multi meter and check it on the under seat battery terminals.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
most modern vehicles seem to run batteries flat very quickly its because we have radios with memory alarms and imobilisers that run even when switched of my work transit had a tacho as well and only went a little over a week if not run

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
We too had a battery problem for the 1st time last week in that the hab battery was flat. Engine battery was ok We then realized the hab electric hadn't been switched off at the control panel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back