Ford Transit Headlights ...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Scotties, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Scotties

Scotties Funster Life Member

A quick question to the oracle, can you easily adjust the headlights for European use (on a UK spec van) or is it a case of those horible sticky things:Blush:

Many thanks in advance for your advice,

Regards Richard

2. madbluemad

madbluemad

Ahhhh, just leave the spanners in the tool box and stick a bit of tape on them

Jim
    :Wink:

3. kenspain

kenspain Read Only Funster

Make sure they are put on well big fine here in Spain if one comes of.:Cool:

4. madbluemad

madbluemad

Sorry Ken, only joking, I know its an important subject. To be honest I stuck them on so well that I coudnt get them off last year.

Jim
    :Smile:

5. robandwendy

robandwendy Read Only Funster

Ford Transit Headlights

As far as I am aware, (having worked in the Southampton plant as a repair man) you cannot set the headlamps for foreign use and will have to stick tape on them.

6. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Or get head lamp protectors and stick the stickers on them....you can then use them again and again.......

7. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

How old is your Transit?

My mate has a Transit based campervan which is '98 spec and his lights are adjustable from inside the cab. He just lowers his and he's never had any problems.

8. Judge Mental

Thats just the load height adjustment most cars and vans have this.......still run the chance of getting nicked abroad if you dont dip in the right direction

9. Bulletguy

He's driven it to and from Spain three or four times a year for the past six years. Never a problem.

If the beam is too high or blinding oncoming drivers it won't be the Police who will let you know.....it will be locals within five minutes of you leaving the Ferry port!

10. Judge Mental

"Headlamp converters are compulsory"

entirely up to you...But why take the risk of a fine and the associated hassle for the sake of a couple of bits of plastic.........

11. bigfish

bigfish Read Only Funster

Robs right on this having also worked at the plant in the same area, the head lights are put into the van with LH or RH drive lights for the relevant country, there is some adjustment through two white allenkey adjusters on either light housing but these are for setting lights up as you would for an MOT.

so plastic covers do it best.

Cheers Bigfish (Ex IMT) :BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

12. Bulletguy

As are GB plates/stickers yet i lost count of brit registered cars without them.

Personally i use a few strips of black insulation tape on my headlights. Job sorted and costs nothing except a bit of time.

13. pendy

pendy Read Only Funster

After a couple of days touring France I realised we had lost 1 of these little blighters and had to use the mother of necessity (invention) after scouring the Van I managed to fashion another using the plastic handle from a carrier bag (opaque type) Morrisons, and some clear 50 mm adhesive tape JOB DONE.:thumb:

14. wasp

wasp Funster

I got beam deflectors ,stuck that well they been on 5 years :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

15. Caztur

Caztur Funster

I'm still trying to get the sticky stuff off the plastic lights on my car from July 2008. Scared to use nail varnish remover or similar as I would usually on sticky stuff, in case it ruins the plastic.

16. Judge Mental

My van is a 2007 LHD Ford EuraMobil. I bought some headlight protectors and fitted them but not a clue how to fit the beam benders so they are still in the van...:Wink:

My question is..... when the first MOT is due in March 2010, will I get away with the beam benders? or will I have to change the headlights for RHD units:Sad:

17. Caggsie

Caggsie Read Only Funster

We put ours on as we were waiting in the queue to get on the ferry outbound. To remove sticky stuff after removing the beam benders, we used a bit of kitchen roll and some concentrated screen wash, waiting to get on the ferry to come home, worked for us. it was on advise from one of the motorhome forums, just can't remember which one.

regards

Karen

18. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, i dont bother to do anything , years ago used to use tape . dont drive much at night ,never been stopped about it. keep fingers crossed . if i was i,d put tape on.