Ford Transit EGR problems or is it? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Have been trying to get some help from Ford but I think I could get blood out of a stone first.

History from 2010 Bought new van Hobby on Ford Transit

11 June 2014 Engine "malfunction" on dash. Called Ford Assist (AA) His diagnostic computer said EGR Valve AA "have you been racing it?" NO. After he had tapped with a hammer everything ok.

June 2014 Couple of times "malfunction" came on. Stopped engine and restarted engine,ok again.

July 2014 France, "malfunction" came on several times in the first few days, after following the Tour de France up and down very high mountains, no trouble.

September 2014 Stripped and cleaned EGR valve.

Sept/Oct 2014 "Malfunction" several times.

October 2014 Brand new EGR valve fitted.

January 2015 "Malfunction" again! AA called he detected EGR valve faulty again. AA man suggested racing it down the motorway in low gear to clear things!!
Main Ford dealer another check and COULD NOT FIND EGR PROBLEMS!! Could be fuel filter and fitted a new one. Everything ok for 20 miles then "malfunction" again. Travelled on to France covered about 3000 miles and no more trouble!!

June 2015 "Malfunction" came on several times, stopped/started engine ok again!

November 2015 20 miles up the road "malfunction" on again about 10 times. stopped/started up again ok for another 300 miles

Conclusion EGR valve cleaned/replaced, Fuel filter replaced. Could this be a electrical fault or what?

Engine malfunction comes on, engine dies and loss of power. Switch off engine and re start things seem ok until the next time! 50K miles to date.

Any suggestions, so far this cost me a small fortune.

colyboy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi read through above and my thoughts are if egr was playing up you would have eratic running and idle...ie I'm sure you would have other noticeable symptoms. .

Also if the malfunction light is coming on you should be able to get specific fault codes using someone with fords ids diagnostics kit...which may help point you in the right direction...
So if you haven't already done it get the fault codes read..by someone with dealer level diagnostic kit..
Ta Andy ..

Reactions: Al1
OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Andy.
Many thanks. When the malfunction light comes the engine dies, restart and everything is ok!

As I said the AA both said it was EGR valve but the main dealer could find NO problems with the EGR. As you suggest I will try to get a fault code but will be a problem as this fault is not regular!

colyboy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Check the engine body earth lead and see if it has a bad connection. If so put another extra lead on.Check for bad connection in the harness to the ECU. Water get in and causes funny reactions, similar to the FIART ones under the bonnet. The valve is vacuum AFAIK on yours so check for split in the hose going to EGR and also the wiring going to the Vacuum controller relay. The ECU senses the difference between the pressures on both side of the valve unlike the older ones and therefore you cannot just blank it off like on them.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I have owned at least 30 Mk7 Transits. Had and still have them on the business fleet...

Some hardly suffer with EGRs. Yet some have had several. Only thing for us that spoils what is otherwise a very good van.
The vans that do short journeys tend to show the problem rather than those that do longer trips.

A point...
A Ford Commercial vehicle is covered by what Ford call " A whole of vehicle" warranty. This means that every single component on a transit van is covered for the whole of the 3 year warranty. Even batteries are covered. I know cos a few of our vans have had batteries done after two years. We have even had carpets replaced when they have worn through.

Another point. Hardly anyone knows about this extremely comprehensive warranty ! Even the bloody dealers dont realise unless they are proper " Commercial vehicle " Dealers.

We never keep a van outside of warranty for the reasons above, All the EGRs we have had done which are numerous have been done under warranty.

If you have ever been charged for a replacement EGR within the 3 year warranty contact Ford customer service and ask for it back.

Unfortunately now you are out of warranty it could start to add up .

Try using premium fuel not supermarket stuff and an additive like Millers . It might just save a load of agg...

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
had similar problems with my smax had egrvalve and injector replaced but still had problems, fitted new battery and cleaned earths in engine bay and has been ok since, battery seemed ok and showed good voltage but decided to change it anyway and has been ok for the last 5 months

Sep 29, 2013
Tetbury, Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Is your van LHD if so could be fuel pump which is flyby wire had same problem in spain last year .Had Egr blanked 8months before we left so knew it wasnt the that 5 hours in a ford garage on diagnostics to be told it was a fuel pump seal had probably perished or split.Also said could be timing may have slipped a tooth putting pump out of time Hope you get sorted soon

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
As you suggest I will try to get a fault code but will be a problem as this fault is not regular!
Again not 100% on this but I believe once a code is generated it will be stored until it is cleared...even if the malfunction light goes out..
I do believe it's important to make sure the diagnostics are fords ids to get the Ford specific code and not just an obd level reader.
Are you on the Ford transit forum... Some knowledgeable lads on there..
If it does turn out to be a egr problem you could do what I did and had it remapped removing the egr function on the ecu.. its still there but disconnected..
Hope you get sorted..
Andy .

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Some codes stay stored but if so the associated warning light will remain on. However for certain faults the ECU counts failures and when the tipping point is reached lights the appropriate warning light. If a number of subsequent engine cycles (engine start/stops) occur without the failure occurring the counter resets & the light goes out. I can't remember whether the history of reset fault counts can be viewed.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Is your van LHD if so could be fuel pump which is flyby wire had same problem in spain last year .Had Egr blanked 8months before we left so knew it wasnt the that 5 hours in a ford garage on diagnostics to be told it was a fuel pump seal had probably perished or split.Also said could be timing may have slipped a tooth putting pump out of time Hope you get sorted soon
Pump is not timed on those it is a constant pressure pump to the common rail system and the ECU trips the multiphase injectors at the precise timing and duration of injections also the timing is by a chain so that It cannot slip unless it destroys the engine at the same time.
The EGR valve can be blocked off as there is a blanking cover that has a restricted hole in it to stop too much gunk going through to the inlet see Ebay for details.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Sounds like a poor earth OR Lambda sensor U/S downwind from the exhaust manifold..
Good luck with it, these faults are infuriating...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back