ford transit battery help wanted (1 Viewer)

cudleydudley

Free Member
May 5, 2008
cheshunt herts
Funster No
MH
20012 tribute t-625
Exp
2003=11years
i have a brand new [1st march 2012] auto trail tribute t625 m/home, from fully charged the new battery =80 amp, lasts 10-12 days before, [phantom alarms] the tracker people ring to say that the battery is low and needs charging, [i have had the elec's checked they are OK,]

so contacted fords, price for another "same as" battery, and joining clamps/cables = £194.80.

so ? 1 = should buy another battery with extra amps [110amps] doing away with this new battery.:Doh:

so ?2 = buy another 80 amp battery but different manufacturer [a lot cheaper], but how would the warranty hold up if something went wrong.:cry:

so ? 3=anybody know who makes fords battery's but sells cheaper,:thumb:

thanks lads any advice welcome

George =cudleydudley

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I pesume you are talking about the starter battery fitted by Ford, not the leisure battery.
It sounds like all your extra gizmos are going to be drain on your battery, whatever its size.
Have you considered a small solar panel?
You can connect the output of this via a controller to the terminals on the back of the drivers seat base. These are connected direct to your starter battery and will keep it topped up.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Typical Ford! Why would you need new clamps and cables if it is a new 2012 vehicle??

I suspect the battery may be either faulty or has a drain. If faulty, then ring Ford or the deler an tell them your battery is faulty and they should replace gratis, as after all, it has not even lasted a year!

I would get your battery drop tested at a garage, and see what the diagnosis is - if faulty, then approach dealer or Ford to replace it as it is not acceptable to start replacing parts on a new vehicle after such a short space of time.

If it is fine, then look into drains or charging options. 10-12 days isn't good for an engine battery. Mine have lasted all year including standing in winter - I had a flat once, and that was a drain which I cured - but it took three months to go flat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
My Transit is five and a half years old and still on the original batteries, but its plugged into a land line 24/7 so they are kept charged im assuming yours is in storage i think the solar pannel idea is the way forward.:thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
It may be that ford are suggesting fitting another battery in parallel with the extra wiring and clamps etc as Transits quite often have two starting batteries under the bonnet one either side of the engine on the inner wings, time you get the extra battery the clamps the cable and a new tray for the extra battery to sit on it dosn't seem like a bad price to me, however I would still get the original checked first and see what is pulling it down, to be honest it is probably your alarm/imobiliser and the tracker, In normal use it would never happen as you would be using the vehicle therefore charging the battery, problem comes if you put it in storage or don't use it regular.

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Mk 7 transits have 2 batteries / relay under the drivers seat. one will run the bits (radio etc) but the other is there to make sure it will always start. The only thing is that the hook up charging system will only see the one for starting. M1tch has the right idea, a small solar panel to keep the 2nd one up is the way I went:thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
From what I understood of the OP's post it seems he only has one vehicle battery fitted, even when some transits have the two fitted as original spec I always thought that they were both cranking batteries with one linked to the other via a relay whilst starting, thus boosting the cranking power.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Mk 7 transits have 2 batteries / relay under the drivers seat. one will run the bits (radio etc) but the other is there to make sure it will always start. The only thing is that the hook up charging system will only see the one for starting. M1tch has the right idea, a small solar panel to keep the 2nd one up is the way I went:thumb:

Not all of them do!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Our previous van, a Chausson Flash 04 (2010) had 2 batteries, one under each seat, but one was the engine battery and one was the leisure battery but from what I understand it was capable of being used as an engine battery in an emergency.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back