Ford transit anti Tibbe lock pick simple answer (1 Viewer)

phil the fluter

Free Member
Apr 21, 2016
selby n yorks
Funster No
MH
rollerteam
Exp
5years
Hi all we own a Mk7 Transit based Motorhome and have been alarmed about all the reports of the ease that Transit locks can be picked using one of the easily available Tibbe lock picking tools. If you are not aware these tools fit into the outer lock and are manipulated until the lock excepts them as the correct key and bobs your uncle the door is unlocked. My simple solution to this is to stop the inside lock button under the pull handle from moving when being unlocked from the outside . So when in the van lock the door from inside by pushing the lock button into the locked position and you will see as the button moves in at the front the rear moves outwards and stands proud of the trim now drill a small hole in the button rear which is proud of the trim and insert a metal pin into the hole i use a pop rivet , when the pin is in place the button cannot pop out to the unlocked position at all not even when trying to get in from outside using the correct key . i leave these pins in position whilst parked up and use the habitation door the access the van. A simple and effective way to protect from them there lock picking Sc**b**s.
cheers phil

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Am I missing something here Phil ? why would you have anyone unlocking your van while you are in it ? or is this a new gassing thread to stop them gassing you while asleep :)
EDIT Sorry only just noticed you are a newby disregard my comments;)
terry

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Another little warning for anyone with Tibbe vehicle keys is not to leave them on view on pub bar or such as they are simple to read from a distance.

In a former life I used to cut keys and have been known to read and supply a replacement when the customer locked himself out of his car leaving his key loose in the vehicle.

The replacement will not start the car but will unlock doors and boot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

phil the fluter

Free Member
Apr 21, 2016
selby n yorks
Funster No
MH
rollerteam
Exp
5years
To Terry no it is not when we are in the van it is when the van is parked up in general as a security measure to stop the cab locks being operated from the outside . when we are in the either driving or on a site the pins are removed to allow normal operation of the locks . i hope this clears it up for you.

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Yes, Tibbe locks as fitted to the Mk.7 (and, I believe, Mk.6) Ford Transit are extremely vulnerable. Replacing the Tibbe lock cylinder with a Hykee replacement cylinder (if a RHD vehicle) is a good idea. Alternatively (and the only option if LHD, for which the replacement cylinder is not available), fit deadlocks to the cab doors.
Access to the OBD port should also be secured or rendered more difficult, because this can be used to override the OEM immobiliser (either directly or by programming new keys).
Also, a good alarm system such as the Van Bitz Growler (perhaps with some of the additional options) is an excellent idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
another option is to do away with the locks on the doors and use remote central locking. you would need to fit a concealed lock release for one door though in case the battery were to go flat

i rarely use a key to enter any of our vehicles anyway

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back