Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Just picked up new motorhome with the new ford Diesel engine and it has this new easy fill fuel filler cap, does anyone have any experience of these? Good or bad or other ? As I don't understand why the filler hole has to have a plastic separate nozzle to fill up with diesel, which makes the hole bigger, can understand it the other way round??
Etap

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
You just push the pump nozzle into the centre of the cap. The plastic nozzle is only meant to protect the filler tube into the tank if you need to use a portable fuel container. The handbook for my Ford car states:

"Do not insert the nozzle of portable fuel containers or aftermarket funnels into the capless fuel system. This could damage the fuel system and its' seal and may cause fuel to run into the ground instead of filling the tank."

"When filling your vehicle's fuel tank from a portable fuel container, use the funnel included with your vehicle"

"When you insert the correct size fuel nozzle a spring loaded inhibitor will open. This helps to avoid filling up with the incorrect fuel"

Your Ford owners manual should give further instruction on the correct way to fill and avoid damaging the filler neck.

Oct 25, 2014
N.E . Scotland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 717 GA
Exp
Since 2015
I have the Transit Custom panel van and the plastic filler bit is only needed if you need to fill from a diesel container , otherwise the diesel pump just fits as normal.The one thing I would say is after filling allow at least 10 seconds before you remove nozzle otherwise diesel drips out down the side of the van .I am waiting delivery of a Chausson on Ford transit chassis .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
  • Don't know if I have a plastic funnel anywhere in the car but putting fuel in from a pump is fairly straight forward. Push the nozzle against the plate covering the filler hole and insert the nozzle. If it isn't in far enough the delivery will shut off automatically. Then as TG1903 suggests, wait about 10secs before removing the nozzle.

OP
OP
etap

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
I was under the impression from the dealer that with Ford Diesel engine one can only use a diesel pump at a filling station if you insert the plastic tube first, as the diesel pump nozzle is too big to go in the filler tube, is this correct or not?
Thanks for any replies.
Etap

Shovelheadrob

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Soon to be 5th wheeler
Exp
On & off for 20 years
It's as simple as this as said the plastic tube is so that you can use a can should the need arise. The only diesel nozzles that may be too large will be some HGV diesel pumps as they are faster fill. HTH

Oct 25, 2014
N.E . Scotland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 717 GA
Exp
Since 2015
Is far as Iam concerned the dealer doesn't know what he's talking about ,the diesel nozzle does fit without plastic filler pipe .The Plastic bit is only for filling from a container(Jerry can style).
P.S My custom panel van is the 2.2 Diesel , same as your motorhome

OP
OP
etap

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Thank you everyone for your help. I will inform the dealer!
Etap

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Trust someone to try and reinvent the wheel (or hole in this case!).

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Trust someone to try and reinvent the wheel (or hole in this case!).
It's great.. you can't misfuel... Only diesel models will open the thingy if you try and put petrol in it just runs out over the tire.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
They won't like it in Norfolk, farmers and gypsies won't be able to fill from red diesel tanks!:)

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I've got a 2010 ford focus.Went to fill up.put diesel in.came to remove nozzle.No chance:(.After a 30 min struggle.Ended up ripping the top off filler.went to Ford garage.turns out after a few years the plastic gets brittle.To replace it is a big job.according to Ford you have to drop fuel pipe from inside..on speaking to mechanic the plastic bit is shit.But you don't need it.no water can get in & underneath the plastic is a spring loaded metal cap(y).so if anyone has same problem don't worry you can still fill up and no worry of water getting into tank.

OP
OP
etap

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
AsI started this issue I can now confirm having filled up our new MH this morning with Diesel, just as has been pointed out the plastic funnel is only for filling your tank from a container, otherwise fill up as normal.
It is surprising tho. How many people have not heard of these new easy fill caps.
Thanks everyone your all correct again.
Etap

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back