FORD 7" Car Touchscreen DVD Sat Nav GPS advice needed

Discussion in 'Ford' started by goneoff, Sep 29, 2012.

1. goneoff

goneoff Funster

I am thinking of fitting a new FORD 7" Car Touchscreen DVD Sat Nav GPS to my Hymer Exsis-i which is on a Transit base. The question is how does the unit perform specifically the SatNav function. Is the Ford system every bit as good as say, TomTom, Garmin etc. I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has experience with these Ford units and how they function. Thanks

2. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

May be wrong (and I am sure someone will correct me) but I think the problem about manufacturers original equipment satnavs is that you cannot upload your own POIs - one of the main reasons Funsters have satnav.

Steve

3. reader

reader Funster

I dont know about the add on Ford Sat Navs, but my car has a built in one and I think its great
    ( she says turn left/right or whatever then "please", very polite and doesnt get her knickers in a twist if you deviate)
    It seems to me to be quicker to program than the Navman, Garmin or Snooper units and the options for view are easy to access.
    The built in unit has a partly duplicated info screen in the dash to save turning your head to view the main screen.
    Cant be certain but I have it in my mind the Ford unit in the car is made by Sony.
    According to my Ford dealer it sounds an expensive job to update and he looked blank when I talked about poi's

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  4. flashkim

flashkim Read Only Funster

HURRY £89.90 Sat Nav 7 inch..
    I have just bought a 7 inch Navman sat nav with a truck mode ability.....I have not tried it out yet as you get one months free trial of the truck mode from when you start using it. BUT it is BIG and has a very strong sucker mount included with a very long ,compared to others I own, arm and adjustment ..just right for my Mk 7 transit on an amazon dash weighted Pad

You will have to be quick as the offer from Halfraudes ends tomorrow here's a link

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_817893_langId_-1_categoryId_165685

Not much of a risk is it enjoy Kim :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I'm sure some can.
    I can on my Chrysler 300 inbuilt nav but only individual POI's and must be input manually to a specific poi memory.....to complicated and cant be bothered..

My mapping is on CD (downloaded to nav memory) and was written in 2006 so very out of date now.
    2012 update disc is just £37 and covers the whole of Europe and UK.

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Frankly, I have no faith in 'truck sat navs' as they use the same mapping database as every other sat nav.. For routing, they will use M and A roads and avoid low bridges, weight and width limits .. all of which can be loaded onto a TT and set for your van .. free.

As it gets mixed reviews on Halfords I hope you follow up with yours..