forced browser update (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
anyone else having a second choice of browser forced on them by the EU.

this came with the last Microsoft windows update and came about after a legal battle between the EU and Microsoft concerning Microsoft's dominance of the browser market.

EU 'v' MICROSOFT

it wont go away until you select a second, none-Microsoft browser as your default browser whether you want one or not :Angry:.

if you don't use internet explorer as your default browser you wont get the screen.

if anyone knows where the software file location is so it can be removed please let me know.

take note of the second paragraph in 'criticism'

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks for the link jim but its a bit like me performing brain surgery in a dark room.....100% sure to cock it up and kill my lappy.:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The option to pick a second browser came up on the netbook but it hasn't on this machine. Had a look at Chrome but then deleted it.

I've just left the shortcut icon on the desktop and it doesn't nag me when I switch the netbook on. Isn't there a check-box to stop the nag? I thought I'd noticed one.

Graham

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The option to pick a second browser came up on the netbook but it hasn't on this machine. Had a look at Chrome but then deleted it.

I've just left the shortcut icon on the desktop and it doesn't nag me when I switch the netbook on. Isn't there a check-box to stop the nag? I thought I'd noticed one.

Graham

it appears every time the machine is stated and there is no option to delete.

i suppose the easiest way would be to select a second browser (which will stop the selection screen) and never use it but that defeats the object of having a personal choice:Angry:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Your question might have been written in Aramaic for all I could make of it, so I slung it three feet to the Senior Partner.

She writes :

"Look at this thread from avantbrowser (best browser on the web!!!). Microsoft has been forced into this by the EU. For people who use several browsers it won't make any difference but for those using IE I can see it could be an annoyance! I blame the politicians!!

Link Removed"

Hope this means something to you clever lot. I'll stick to things I think I understand like a carburettor. Tell me, is that a "car burette", meaning a measuring device on a car, or a carbon urethra, something which pees in the carbon?

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Your question might have been written in Aramaic for all I could make of it, so I slung it three feet to the Senior Partner.

She writes :

"Look at this thread from avantbrowser (best browser on the web!!!). Microsoft has been forced into this by the EU. For people who use several browsers it won't make any difference but for those using IE I can see it could be an annoyance! I blame the politicians!!

Link Removed"

Hope this means something to you clever lot. I'll stick to things I think I understand like a carburettor. Tell me, is that a "car burette", meaning a measuring device on a car, or a carbon urethra, something which pees in the carbon?

i'll opt for the measuring/metering device..::bigsmile:

thanks for the link.:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
it appears every time the machine is stated and there is no option to delete.

i suppose the easiest way would be to select a second browser (which will stop the selection screen) and never use it but that defeats the object of having a personal choice:Angry:

Just had a look on the netbook, John, and think I have the answer.

When you get the screen up with the various browsers listed, don't click on the "I'll Choose Later" (or whatever it says) button. Instead, use the X in the top right hand corner to close the window. I've done that and don't get the nag screen on restart.

Graham

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
got rid of it.:thumb:

its an EXE file.

(windows XP home) anyone wanting rid click 'start' then 'run'

in the 'run' dialog box type... C:\WINDOWS\system32\browserchoice.exe
then click ok.

that will take you to the file location.
right click on the file and click 'delete' (make sure its the correctly spelt one)

then delete the desktop icon and empty the waste bin.

seems to have worked for me as a search cant find the file and on re-boot the window doesnt appear. :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've just used the same procedure as mentioned in my last post on the laptop, which runs Vista (netbook is XP).

Don't use the laptop very much at the moment but this thread reminded me that I hadn't updated it for a while so I switched it on to do so and one of the updates was the Browser Choice.

No nag screen on start-up but I have the shortcut on the desktop as an easy route to other browsers if I ever fancy giving one a try.

Graham

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've just used the same procedure as mentioned in my last post on the laptop, which runs Vista (netbook is XP).

Don't use the laptop very much at the moment but this thread reminded me that I hadn't updated it for a while so I switched it on to do so and one of the updates was the Browser Choice.

No nag screen on start-up but I have the shortcut on the desktop as an easy route to other browsers if I ever fancy giving one a try.

Graham

it could be time dependant Graham, just as software registration screens keep popping up from time to time if you dont register the program.

my way has deleted the whole EXE file from the 'puter so it will never reappear unless the next update carries it, then ill delete the whole file again. :thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I already have IE and 2 other browsers!

This message came following the last windows update, which you do NOT have to install (unless your system is set to install automatically). I would suggest not installing it!

However if you do, my experience is that you do not have to install another browser. If you select IE, even if it is already the default, it then tells you it is already installed but the message then goes away.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I already have IE and 2 other browsers!

This message came following the last windows update, which you do NOT have to install (unless your system is set to install automatically). I would suggest not installing it!

However if you do, my experience is that you do not have to install another browser. If you select IE, even if it is already the default, it then tells you it is already installed but the message then goes away.

true, but the download is for IE8 which is supposed to be troublesome and crap :RollEyes:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
true, but the download is for IE8 which is supposed to be troublesome and crap :RollEyes:

As some know I experienced a problem with IE8 on Vista due to inadequate testing by Microsoft but I did get a workaround and hopefully they've fixed the error now. Haven't heard of any other IE8 problems but do only have it installed on the Vista laptop - which, as said yesterday, isn't used all that much.

it could be time dependant Graham, just as software registration screens keep popping up from time to time if you dont register the program.

my way has deleted the whole EXE file from the 'puter so it will never reappear unless the next update carries it, then ill delete the whole file again. :thumb:

You could be right about time dependancy. Time will tell :Smile:

Personally I think it will be a bug due to inadequate testing, as with the IE8 problem I experienced. Microsoft will expect people to either install a browser or click on "Select Later". They will not expect people to use a third option, as I did.

I should think that the code tests for use of the Select Later button and, if it isn't clicked on, defaults to not showing the nag screen.

What it should do, of course, is to check all of the valid Install options as well to ensure that at least one is chosen before it decides not to show the nag screen - but that, of course would take more testing as well as more coding ::bigsmile:

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back