Foraging

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by jumar, Oct 16, 2015.

1. jumar

jumar Funster

Didn't know whether to post this here or in Nature and Wildlife or Cooking. When we were in the north of Spain near the Sierra de Gredos, we collected these chestnuts. Just finished them today and perhaps just past their best.

Would love to be able to collect mushrooms but too worried about picking the wrong ones. Whilst in Italy earlier this year a French friend was collecting different mushrooms and told us that they were wonderful.

My parents used to make wine from many different foraged fruits and flowers but I haven't followed their example.

Do any Funsters do "foraging" and what's your favourite "forage".

20151002_125132.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

Haven't done it for a while , if I saw a deer or a muntjac that was road kill I'd put it in my car boot , used to make wine from the sap of the silver birch , you need to know what your looking at with mushrooms , I can recognise three edible type and one hallucinogenic, used to guddle for trout

It's quite easy to live from foraging by the sea shore ,early Britons would move around the coast following the foodstuffs that were in season

• Like Like x 1
  3. Doctor Dave

Doctor Dave Funster

Sloe gin or wild damson gin.

I would be wary about mushrooms.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  4. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We forage a lot. Blackberries ( jam and eating) damsons ( jam, gin and wine) sloes ( sloe gin) elderflowers( cordial). Elderberries ( wine) hazel nuts, wild garlic and other wild herbs, apples, pears, plums and cherries ( lots growing wild in Kent) and occasionally mushrooms, although we only do that in France where pharmacists can tell you if they are good to eat or not.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Here we have chestnuts by the bucket, Ceppe mushrooms which we know and Girolle which we are unsure of.
    Also in season we have apples, pears and brambles!
    We are bona fide French foragers!
    (as well as being a tightarse Jock n Yarkie)

• Like Like x 3
  6. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

We used to do a lot of foraging; all kinds of fruit, herbs, nuts and vegetables.
    For the last year, though, we haven't done any at all because we are being given so much food by other campers (y)

We've had endless jars of jam, fresh fish, barrowloads of fruit, even twenty cans of beer and a dozen bottles of Hardy's Semillon
    Chardonnay (try foraging that!)
    :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

It's good round our way at harvest time..

we glean for whatever is left in the fields..

onions, peas, lettuce, parsnips, carrots, potatoes.. .. etc..

also collect brambles, apples, pears, plums..

I made plum jam and chutney last year .. still trying to eat it all :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. jumar

jumar Funster

Last year we picked wild strawberries and bilberries in Austria, raspberries in Slovenia, blackberries in France and Portugal and then almonds back in Spain.

Munchies and I (Judith) then foraged the oranges after they had been picked for the market, although we felt a little furtive!

Love the feeling of using food that would normally go to waste.

9. jumar

jumar Funster

Earlier this year on a bike ride we picked up some broccoli after the fields were picked. It was the best tasting brocolli we had ever had - we could have just eaten a plateful on it's own.

10. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I wouldn't mind knowing how to forage for truffle$.

Someone with a bit of survival training pointed out green walnuts to me and I had a go at pickling a load of them but without much success.

The French are expert forageurs au bord de la mer - this is a very common low tide sight:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

We have buckets and spades, they have buckets and rakes. On the Ile de Re recently I noticed a sign setting the limit at 10Kgs per person per trip, that's 22lbs of shellfish. You could almost live off that.

As one involved in historic re-enactment I tend to forage for materials rather than food - particular favourites are birch bark and flint. Antler would be a major find. I recently found a 53lbs flint nodule on a Suffolk beach and no way was I leaving that behind. I lugged it half a mile back to the MH and nearly did myself in. Worth it though. I will also root around for historic artefacts near rivers - a recent half-hour search beside the Thames in central London yielded all manner of stuff from fossils onwards.

• Like Like x 3
  11. barsteward

barsteward Funster

They used to do quite a lot of foraging around Morecombe, I understands it's been stopped now though.:whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Razor clams cooked in garlic and white wine. Fresh off the beach on our recent Hebredian trip. A quick look on google gave us loads of recipes. There were so many as you walked along the deserted beach jets of water squirted out of the sand !
    image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  13. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

@magicsurfbus

And what will you use it for, out of interest?
    We're overrun with big flints here in Wiltshire.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

When I was a student we used to pick mushrooms and put them in chili con carne.

Magic they were, man

:)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

When in the army I used to teach foraging to the guy's, but the only thing I could not stomach was eating worms in an omelette with or without mushrooms.
    I still forage to this day after all everyone likes something for free and it aways tastes better.

• Like Like x 2
  16. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

To practice flint knapping, in the full understanding that I'll probably end up with 52.99 lbs of assorted rubble and maybe a tiny vaguely sharp pointy thing at the end.

There's no natural flint where I live, so I have to travel to find it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

We love foraging, loads of blackberries this week :) In Brittany a couple of weeks ago we feasted on moules and Velvet crabs :)

P1260151 copy.jpg

Last year in France we did Sloe Gin and Figs (not at same time tho!)

• Like Like x 1
  18. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I gather wild mushrooms (toadstools) whenever I can but I always double check with a book. "Mushrooms and other fungi" by Roger Phillips is good guide covering the UK and Europe. It is still in print and having just looked on line he has another more recent book out dated 2006 which I must get. Both have nice big clear pictures.

My favourite, partly because it is big and easy to find is the parasol mushroom. A couple almost make a meal! Morels are delicious but scarce. Shaggy inkcaps are common but vanish on cooking. A giant puffball, I've only ever found one, will feed you for a week.

But you can of course kill yourself. I only ever eat a wild mushroom if I can identify it and I am 100% sure it meets every single identification criteria. I found something in France recently which I was fairly sure was edible but I wasn't totally sure. That the locals had walked past it on the path was another hint!

We gathered blackberries on our recent trip to Brittany, and there were plenty of apple trees overhanging the hedges and the two together are very nice stewed and served with cream - which was harder to find than the blackberries!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Is foraging the same as scrumping ? If it is I was a great wee forager when I was a kid and the farmer had no right to put his boot up me arse .........................:D

• Like Like x 3
  20. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

My neighbour has just given me permission today to gather the cider apples from her garden which are lying on the grass. Will try to make cider from them - which must count as foraging. :)

• Like Like x 2