LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Love my home, but oh how I love to travel, touring Scotland on a nice spring morning, see Stags wondering across the road, touring England with its beautiful little Duck Ponds they are still around .

Visiting City's like York Cambridge Chester at your own place. That's just in UK, take longer cross the water travel explore the wonderful French towns and villages come into Spain take time out in Barcelona Valencia travel further afield cross over into Africa find a new way of life for a while.

Then when you are done come home enjoy my home and then plan when you are off again, I feel very privileged to be able to live this life of travel and hope I can for a few more years yet.

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Interesting thread this. I started work at Heathrow and at the tender age of 19, had the opportunity to spend two weeks in Singapore (1973). What a culture shock, it changed my life and I became addicted to travel. I have spent my life since then travelling for work, for pleasure and never tire of it. Any new trip on the horizon, I am as excited now as I was back in 73. Bring on retirement, so we have more time to travel.

Keith :cool:

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
Our traffic manager never asked how long it would take us to get there, no matter where you were going it was always the same "You have to be there for 8am you are booked in" no matter how far away and even if they did not open until 9 it was always the same "You have to be there boy"
Don

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
So, is travelling a thing that most of you have always done from a fairly young age, or is it something that you started to do when approaching retirement. It seems there are a lot of ex service, marine and road haulage personnel that have taken up motorhoming, which does not really surprise me, so do you think that motorhomers are predominantly made up of itinerant workers, with a smattering of silver adventurers. I have given this a great deal of thought over the last day or so as I know a good many long term travellers, most of which have always travelled in there vocation before retirement. Am just trying to get my head round why we do this. Has it evolved from a way of life that we have always done, or is it a latent hankering for for something new and adventurous.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am not sure you can generalise, there are different sorts. Some folk must spend their whole lives living in the same place. I would have done that if I hadn't joined the army and left Carlisle, but I would still have travelled as my earliest holiday memories were camping with my parents in Cornwall and Scotland. But I guess there are others who weren't introduced to travelling at an early age.
Years ago I met a lady in Ireland who had lived all her life in her home town and only left it twice, to visit Sligo, which was 10 miles away. She was very happy with her life.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I am not sure you can generalise, there are different sorts. Some folk must spend their whole lives living in the same place. I would have done that if I hadn't joined the army and left Carlisle, but I would still have travelled as my earliest holiday memories were camping with my parents in Cornwall and Scotland. But I guess there are others who weren't introduced to travelling at an early age.
Years ago I met a lady in Ireland who had lived all her life in her home town and only left it twice, to visit Sligo, which was 10 miles away. She was very happy with her life.
Sorry if I did not explain myself well, I was not generalising as such, but it just seemed that the majority who answered were from itinerant backgrounds. Being brought up in the country I knew many that had never ventured more than 20 miles in there life. I also had some contemporaries that travelled when young, but never ventured out of there village from when they were married. Others like my mother that never went on holiday until they were well into there 60s. Who once got started were never at home. My mother was always contented staying home looking after the place, but once she had travelled abroad she was never home. My children knew her as granny gone out :).

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Busby.
I used to go in T&J,there was a lady working there who's first name began with an "A". If you are married to her,you are ONE lucky fellow,i used to have to go to her office,for custom checks or box swops,made my day ?...... NOT HALF !!
Stay well,stay lucky
Tea Bag.
PS. When you went in there,did it always take half a day to start that Humongous fork lift ? Happy days.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Steve joined the RAF at 18 and we married very quickly after that and we have now been married for 42 years. In that time we have moved 20 times. Steve has also travelled to a lot of countries with the RAF. For us we love the thrill of exploring new places, meeting new people and making new friends. Come January, we will have lived in this house for 10 years. It's a nice enough home, but we've got itchy feet. We need to go exploring. There's still a lot of world to see. But......Steve is now disabled and hotels and guest houses are difficult, so it makes sense for us to take our habitation with us. Just have to find the right one for us. :)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I dont have a M H yet as still saving so still working :cry:

Ive only lived in 4 houses 2 of which were family homes pre me leaving home.

I have been self employed for many a year after leaving a steady job due to applying for redundancy.Being self employed seemed like a strange move as i liked the stability of going to the same place to work every day.Apparently its something to do with my star sign :)
Any way i have had this longing to travel for a good few years but due to kids and all that life stuff never got it sorted.
As and when we go away to a new place we don't do all inclusive or any thing near.Normally off we go either walking or using the local transport, whether in the UK or abroad.

Im now counting down to when its yee hah im off (y)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Hubby in the navy , me at home with two kids . Retirement time for me to see more of the world ! So he drives ; motorhome , car or motorbike and off we go :) the motorhome is great as has been said , just a travelling hotel , well of sorts except I am the housekeeping staff !!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As many will know I have just started a new job at 60 and have been in the office for about five of the days I have worked there and it's driving me bloody mad! If it goes on much longer I will have to Jack it in. i need to be out on the road.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi Badknee.
There IS a cure for "White line fever"..... Just don't wait until your 65 to stop working. Get your financial adviser aka "Wife" to do some sums...? How does that song go ?
"Enjoy yourselves,it's CHEAPER than you think ". OR... Go drive a lorry,buy a tractor unit,double sleeper and go traction only,pick your work where you want to go within reason,here or across the channel.So you and your "Money minder" can tour AND get paid Win,Win.
Tea Bag.
PS. Not wishing to cast...Asparagus ? on m/homes,some lorry cabs are top notch,my choice DAF XF made to measure for me

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I remember working on a farm in Badingham (Suffolk) and an old boy named George telling me he was going on a foreign holiday this particular year ... to Gt Yarmouth - about 15 miles away but it was over the Suffolk/Norfolk border. Not the biggest traveller I've ever met but he sure was one happy man.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL - but even though with my first husband we stayed in hotel rooms, we always had transport in the form of hired bikes cars or local buses (except in Goa or Kerala, where you just go by taxi anyway) so we could see what was down that road or round that corner, and just used the place with the walls as a base, to sleep have a wash and sometimes get dressed in clothes and eat. One exception was a full-board water sports holiday in an hotel on Skiathos, but we still went places on the bus and had meals out anyway. But we were both at work and it was only a fortnight at a time at most, so we usually flew.

To me - the MoHo is the same but less hassle really. You stay somewhere a few days, see it and visit the bits you want to, then move on. If there are several ways of getting to the next place, then choose the road on the Michelin map that is edged in green, and if you don't make it to where you originally set off for that partic day cos you find somewhere else that looks appealing (or a brown signpost that says they have something that may be of interest you haven't seen) what does it matter if you never get to the place you set off for? - it doesn't!

We have no route planned in our minds or anywhere else, once we get off the ferry/train. We normally go to Adinkerke to stock up on baccy, then over a coffee there decide which way to go this time.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Was in the merchant navy for a few years. Came ashore and hated being in the same place all the time.
Changed jobs so many times- maybe 30- 40 jobs until I retired, could never settle down. Am now retired and love travelling in my Motorhome. Until 5 years ago had never travelled on the continent, now we are away for 6 months at a time. Even when we come home, we then travel around this country.:)
Me too. Went to sea at 17. It was the only way I could afford to travel. Been to 23 countries by the time I was 19, back in the 1960s before package holidays when longdistance was the next county. Left to find a more family friendly occupation. Started motorhoming over 30 years ago. I have a low threshold of boredom (I've had five separate careers), which I suspect is a common trait amongst people who choose to travel a lot. Not so the Ladybear, who would be happy to stay at home but comes along to keep me from getting up to mischief.

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Wow what an interesting read and has been said many truckers myself 25 years mining most spent underground on shifts ( not living U/G ) got into MHing after camping with family whilst growing up did the cruises and just waiting for wife to retire( she got caught up in the B---stards putting her retirement age up 3 years do I sound annoyed by this) then follow you lot to the warmer climes and chill a while great read

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Spent a Childhood moving about with parents in the RAF, joined the Army and travelled about.
God this corner of Norfolk as lovely as it is, is boring in comparison!
We can't wait to get in the van for European trips! It'll be easier now the dogs have passports!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We came up via camping, caravans and motorhomes.

The ability to have a different view every morning, to turn off the main road and visit that little hill village you see on the horizon, and the option to choose totally random roads and destinations wins it for us.

When we are touring abroad our daughter's colleagues ask her "which country are your parents in today?" She gets pleasure from replying "I don't know, but I know where they were yesterday!"
:cool:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Never travelled as a child as too poor, then went on the school exchange to Loire valley, paid for by my saturday job. That gave me a taste, after university I was lucky to have a good job as did Nick so travel became the thing we have loved to do. Lots of camping with the children interspersed with Brazil, Costa Rica, Srilanka and a few other far flung places. We started motorhoming 3 years ago and love it, hotels are now for places we can't drive to, as soon as I get in the van the excited feeling starts, when we fly the journey is just a means to an end.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Strange you should say that. I still talk in distances as in time, not mileage. It must be a drivers mindset. I have no idea how far it is from home to Dover, but I know its 6 hours, and I must have travelled that route thousands of times. When I was working I remember sometimes getting off a ferry and very little else till The Blue Boar, stop for my break and then remember little else till I pulled into the yard.
We used to pull In to Watford gap when it was a proper cafe
2 and half hours home empty:)
6 hours loaded :cry:
Best for me was comming over top on M1 from South yorkshire into West Yorkshire and seeing mast lights on Emley moor
Ahhhhh almost home (y)

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
the motorhome community takes me back to my childhood you can wake in the morning to people saying good morning or someone passing by saying hello like it used to be years ago when people were friendly to each other
when our daughter was younger we always took her to france and italy on a eurocamp or keycamp holiday
linda and ami would fly and i would drive and pick them up to at the airport
when we bought our motorhome in the 1st year the 2 main trips we took was the same as the year before but in our own home and was a staggering £1900 cheaper there are really to many things to say what the benefits are to motorhoming but the freedom to up and go and visit all the places you only ever thought of visiting
what a fantastic life this is :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
the motorhome community takes me back to my childhood you can wake in the morning to people saying good morning or someone passing by saying hello like it used to be years ago when people were friendly to each other
when our daughter was younger we always took her to france and italy on a eurocamp or keycamp holiday
linda and ami would fly and i would drive and pick them up to at the airport
when we bought our motorhome in the 1st year the 2 main trips we took was the same as the year before but in our own home and was a staggering £1900 cheaper there are really to many things to say what the benefits are to motorhoming but the freedom to up and go and visit all the places you only ever thought of visiting
what a fantastic life this is :)

Its still like that where i live. Every one greets you, even youngsters. Mind you we are still a little bit stuck in the past here. We do get a mail coach through the village twice a week though. BUSBY:):)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi busby.
You would be at home here,i am the only one here who has not got a farm tractor,when we bought it,i said,"There is a bus stop up the road". G/daughter,"There are NO buses where you are". So,why the bus stop ?
School bus !. You can go to town on it at 07.30hrs and catch one back,(Same bus)...... 17.00hrs. That's service for you,it's like it was in villages back home 50 yrs ago friendship/people wise but,plus technology and..... TRACTORS,a must have LOL . Note to self,look up Fordson Standard tractors for sale on Auto Trader today
Tea Bag aka E. Adam (unknown recipient LOL)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Hi busby.
You would be at home here,i am the only one here who has not got a farm tractor,when we bought it,i said,"There is a bus stop up the road". G/daughter,"There are NO buses where you are". So,why the bus stop ?
School bus !. You can go to town on it at 07.30hrs and catch one back,(Same bus)...... 17.00hrs. That's service for you,it's like it was in villages back home 50 yrs ago friendship/people wise but,plus technology and..... TRACTORS,a must have LOL . Note to self,look up Fordson Standard tractors for sale on Auto Trader today
Tea Bag aka E. Adam (unknown recipient LOL)

Yes we have buses,,,only kidding. Its just that everyone in this area seem so happy and polite. Used to live in Notts,,friendly but not like Derbyshire. BUSBY:):)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Yes we have buses,,,only kidding. Its just that everyone in this area seem so happy and polite. Used to live in Notts,,friendly but not like Derbyshire. BUSBY:):)

Wish it was still like that here

I think people think im some sort of weirdo, possibly right as well, when i say morning or evening even startles them sometimes.
It can be a bit amusing :) ahh simple pleasures are the best :LOL:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Wish it was still like that here

I think people think im some sort of weirdo, possibly right as well, when i say morning or evening even startles them sometimes.
It can be a bit amusing :) ahh simple pleasures are the best :LOL:

I am the same,,i speak to everyone when we are out walking. My mate thinks i know so many people...Its easier to smile than frown and costs nothing to be polite...BUSBY:):)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We caravanned throughout my working life (which didn't involve driving very far at all). I retired early 16 years ago and bought a motorhome a year later. During the late '60s / early '70s I toured France, Spain, Italy, Switzerland on a motorcycle. One thing not mentioned is that caravanning and (especially) motorhoming is brilliant for dog owners - a very big plus for us.

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
I am the same,,i speak to everyone when we are out walking. My mate thinks i know so many people...Its easier to smile than frown and costs nothing to be polite...BUSBY:):)
Tried this while doing some work in London they thought I was going to mug them most walk away shaking their head if you say morning although used to walk through spittlefield market that was more human

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi.
Wife to me." People don't want you yawping at them ! You don't know them,they will think your a balm pot !!"
A smile is very relaxing,happy mood. If people choose to suck half a lemon in the morning before coming out of the house... tough.
Keep YAWPING.. Ride on.
Tea Bag

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back