For those that travel.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Snowbird, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I was asked today why I started to travel and the answer for me was simple. I always travelled for work from leaving school. I was never a settled person and was never really happy when in four walls. I worked in some pretty inhospitable environments through choice, not necessity. Houses for me were just somewhere to bring up the kids and somewhere with a letter box for the mail, so after retirement it was just a natural progression to buy a motorhome and visit the places I visited when working but did not have the time to explore.
    I got to thinking that although there are a few truck drivers on here that are used to living in cramped spaces, most members are from more stable backgrounds. So why did you start this crazy lifestyle of living in something the size of your home bathroom for months on end.

• Like Like x 5
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

30 years in the army helped for us, but moves slowed down as we got older (more senior = more office) and the MH has given us the opportunity to relive the old days. The sad part is some of the places we could have visited 30 years ago such as Afghanistan are now closed to us.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snowbird

I too would have loved to relive the old routes down to Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan, but alas no longer possible. Also I think the older we get, the more conservative we become with our travelling. Twenty years ago if someone had asked for a price to travel to the other side of the globe I would have given them one in a couple of days.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

It took Woman donkeys years to convince me to go abroad.. we went to Corfu in 1987.. real cheap to say the least

After that I just wanted to spend as little time in the UK as possible....

• Like Like x 5
  5. sedge

sedge Funster

Well it's months-on-end holiday, isn't it? (Unless you F/T in which case it's life, but I don't want to F/T)

Never been able to afford like suites in 5 * hotels, so you have a room. Or an apartment. Or a caravan or tent. How big are they? Not very, but you don't spend too much time in em usually, do you? But, in the space available, you have it as comfy as you can for you, to suit your lifestyle within your tent, caravan or motorhome, accepting that you don't have huge kitchen floors to clean or acres of carpet to hoover !

• Like Like x 7
  6. busby

busby Funster

I dont like to be confined within 4 walls and i love sunshine and have always travelled from an early age. Motorhoming combines all my life style choices. BUSBY:):):)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Electraglide

Electraglide Funster

I have always enjoyed the travelling more than the arriving. We have spent the last twenty five years riding our bikes all over Europe to rallies, the journey there and back is always the best part for me. Hope to go further a field when we retire soon, bikes on a trailer and for a lot more than three weeks at a time. Get fed up with eating out every night so the van will perfect for our needs.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Snowbird

Hi Jenny, we still have an apartment overlooking the Black sea but have not been for 2 years now. The only time I ever used hotels was when I working was to take a shower etc. We just love the motorhome lifestyle so much, maybe its the laid back lifestyle where you dont have to get dressed for dinner and I can take my morning coffee sitting outside in my dressing gown and still feel comfortable. Maybe its the ability to have all your "stuff" with you instead of trying to pack it all into a suitcase. We even considered renting a bungalow on site next winter, and even paid a deposit on it, but changed our minds as we are so comfortable in the van. It would have been considerably cheaper to rent a bungalow long term than bring the van down, but its not always about saving money. After some thought, the bungalow would have felt like being at home, four walls and all that stuff. I have a few friends that still think I am a little crazy to want to spend so much time in a "caravanette" instead of a nice hotel, but hey ho, its a waste of time trying to explain as they would never understand.

• Like Like x 9
  9. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Ex trucker, says it all.

Craig

• Like Like x 4
  10. Padraigpost

Padraigpost Funster

Another ex trucker here, for me it never felt like work, I loved every day of it right up to retirement day so It was the desire to carry on traveling I suppose, and after living in a truck cab the motorhome feels quite spacious
    Don

• Like Like x 5
  11. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

"Likewise".......... But mainly UK and a few NATO ports..

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

I Went to sea in the Royal Fleet Auxiliary as a youngster and got the bug for far off places with strange sounding names. Ultimately traveling for both of us is about the people we have met along the way, and the sometimes amazing acts of kindness we have experienced,

The Tinca's

• Like Like x 1
  13. HARESBY

HARESBY Read Only Funster

I always wanted to be a truck driver. I was and still call myself one(retired now).Right from the start I got to go places I had heard about and enjoyed the experience greatly driving to them. I recall years ago a tugger asked me how far it was to a certain place from where we were, I replied, about four hours. The question came back but how far in miles. To be honest I hadn't a clue,mileage I think is not really in a drivers mind only time. So to a lot ,the destination is is not the prime, its the A-to-B where the enjoyment is and to me it still is. Where time is not an issue the journey is in my opinion the the most pleasing. Good co-pilot,good comfortable set of wheels just sums it up.

• Like Like x 9
  14. Snowbird

Strange you should say that. I still talk in distances as in time, not mileage. It must be a drivers mindset. I have no idea how far it is from home to Dover, but I know its 6 hours, and I must have travelled that route thousands of times. When I was working I remember sometimes getting off a ferry and very little else till The Blue Boar, stop for my break and then remember little else till I pulled into the yard.

• Like Like x 3
  15. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I am exactly the same! Time not miles. From Dover to S.I.F.T. Sutton in Ashfield, 3 hours plus. From Zeebrugge to Munich, 2 days, etc;

Craig

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Another retired Juggernaut jockey here..... Reason for travel bug ?
    I missed the ever changing views from a. "Window on the world". You cannot buy some of the views i have seen. Go back? Like a shot,however,the first wife has had enough,so i play truckers in the M/home with her consent LOL
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 4
  17. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

So much to see, so many hobbies.

I never liked hotels much, would rather have my own territory no matter how small.

• Like Like x 4
  18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

For years our "thing" was to tour Europe on a bike. Using hotels. Then "we should try Scotland". On the way back, before we had even dried out, we were looking at motorhomes. Within the month we were Burstner owners and heading back to Scotland in luxury.

So an age thing, getting past hauling luggage into hotels, getting past getting wet.

On the whole, 50,000 miles of huge success so far.

But I still prefer riding the bike.

• Like Like x 8
  19. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

These vans we ride around in cost a lot.. Some people choose to buy a "little place in the sun"... But we thought about going back to the same place, and decided, with the same views and the same bars and the same restaurants, that the pleasure would soon lose its "allure".. So we, like the rest of you decided on the "ever-changing view" and the expectation of what lies "just around the corner" and the total feeling of freedom that this lifestyle gives us.. Roll on the next adventure !!!! (y)

• Like Like x 8
  20. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

Your own things around you, go where and when you please, mo need to conform to restaurant times/menus etc. What is there not to like?

• Like Like x 5