For lovers of old US vehicles.

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Snowbird, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

In the summer of 2006 I took off on a tour of Sweden as I wanted to catch up on some of the many American car shows up there.
    There must be more old American cars up in Sweden than any other country outside the US.Everybody seems to have an old yank in the barn.
    In the summer all these old classics come out and the Swedes hold rallies and picnics every weekend.Its a great atmosphere for people interested in these old gas guzzlers and everyone is very friendly.Most of the shows are free and if ever you are up there in summer try to visit a few.Am sure you will enjoy it.
    If you have any old Yank photos please post.

Attached Files:

2. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Don't tell Clarkson, Hammond or May

:Wink:

:Laughing:

3. Snowbird

Here are some taken in a wood whilst looking for a fishing lake.
    I was wandering through this wood on my way to a trout lake I had heard was very good and stumbled across maybe 50 or 60 abandoned ex US military vehicles that had obviously been there for many years.
    Hardly any had been cannibalized for parts and although most were in a bad state of repair,all parts were intact.
    Can you imagine that happening any where else in Europe.

Attached Files:

4. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Hell Dave you said you would keep the new storage a secret:Wink::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

5. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

I said it was quiet at the White Horse, Tattingstone (see upcoming April Fools meet) but I did twich the blind when this V8 Chevrolet pulled up :BigGrin: Jane

Attached Files:

6. Snowbird

That's a nice truck Jane and similar to the one here in picture 1,taken at some UK show that unfortunately I don't remember which.
    The other 2 were spotted in Sweden.
    Oh and thanks for the reply and interest.:thumb:

Attached Files:

7. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

When we get home, if I remember, I'l try to dig out some photos of my first MH which was US and amphibious - a DUKW.

It was one of four which crossed the channel under its own steam , tho some even madder charactre has since done it solo.

Happy daze....

8. Snowbird

This ones not a DUKW but a Rio with a multifuel engine.It almost became a DUKW when I came down a quarry face in it and couldnt stop the damn thing"American brakes" again.Best offroader I ever drove though,just wish it had power stearing.:Doh:

Attached Files:

9. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Just a few Pics of my old Skyliner retractable, super fun had 41 of the possible 43 options fitted.

All the best Rick

Attached Files:

10. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Here's a couple of my Avalanche and one of my Harley Davison 6ltr diesel pick up.

All the best Rick

Attached Files:

11. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Last ones promise, a couple of my Corvettes, the blue one I still have although now wearing a different Number,

All the best Rick

Attached Files:

12. Snowbird

Thanks for those Rick, Those Skyliners were well ahead of there time and were an awesome sight watching the hood fold away into the boot.
    Have seen a few of them but was never lucky enough to own one.
    When you think how long it took the European car makers to get round to automatic soft top retraction...the Yanks had been doing it for years.
    I think what got me into American cars was the colours,they had two tone pastel paintjobs when we only had black or green.
    When I think back to the Vauxhall Crestas with two tone paint and wrap around windscreens,they were a good copy of the American tin...pity they were impregnated with the tinworm at the factory:Blush:

13. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

The problem with GM in the days of Creatas & Velox's was they were using melted down Tank Bodies and we all know what crap went into them, having said that god knows what exscuse they had in the 70's.

I know what you mean about the two tone paint work I had a 59 Impala back then two tone, after that I had a T bird convertable.

Those retractables could be a nightmare, if I remember right they have 14 motors on those roofs and god knows how many relays & miles of wires, but when thy work they are an art, that one can be seen at Billing most years, still the same owner I sold it to in 2004.

One day I will list the cars I have had if I can remember them all :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

All the best Rick

14. Snowbird

For anyone that is interested in American nostalgia,I can recommend Vasteras big power meet in Sweden. Normally held in July and billed as the biggest meeting of its kind in the world.I cant comment on that as I know there's some big meets in the States,but one thing for sure is that you could fit Newark Americana into a corner of it.

Attached Files:

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the missing two options were.......

decent brakes..

decent headlamps..

:Rofl1::Rofl1:

16. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

:Rofl1: I will definatley go with the brakes, but the headlilamps wernt bad on this one in fact better than the Vette, believe it or not one of the options it hadn't got was outside mirrors the other was swivel search lights on the A pillars.

All the best Rick

17. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

This is one hell of a meet and what a party, I know many people who go every year, one of these days I will go, but unfortunatley never managed it up to now perhaps we should plan it as a fun meet one year.

All the best Rick.

18. Snowbird

Well that's one am definitely up for...as long as I can combine it with some serious fishing. Its not just Vasteras in the summer,the whole of Sweden is a party...maybe because they don't get much light in the winter,when they do get the long summer days they don't want to waste them in bed.

19. rangitira

rangitira Funster

I used to drive the DUKW's with 18 Coy in Fremington N Devon, what a magic Machine! We had the Biggest Surf Boards in the world! 32 feet long, 8 feet wide, 2 1/2 tonne
    Force 8 Gales? Hah! we just powered thro the surf, Man! what a buzz! to use the venacular of the time! Groovy Baby!!

20. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

If I'm not mistaken many of the 6 wheelers where built by Caddy Do you know who ownes them?