For Anyone Considing Buying A Mobile Wi-Fi Thingy... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I bought a Vodafone R205 mobile hotspot thing which replaces the older (slower) model a couple of days ago and I would like to report that it is fantastic.

Three to four times faster... footy without pixels and pauses to stream the video... even Jolean and Edin look quick...:thumb:

Well pleased.

JJ:Cool:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I think this may be a review of it ?
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It is a device which allows you to connect up to five devices to the internet via your data card.

The original method to have mobile internet was to have the (sim like) data card in a "dongle" which you plugged into the side of you computer (in a usb port)

With a mobile wi-fi hotspot you put the data card into the device and it creates your very own wi-fi.

The device cost me €49 and I have a contract with Vodafone Portugal for €37.37 per month for "unlimited" usage. There are endless different data packages you can
buy from the phone company (in my case Vodafone).

You have to charge it's battery up which I do easily through a normal car usb charger.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
It is a device which allows you to connect up to five devices to the internet via your data card.

The original method to have mobile internet was to have the (sim like) data card in a "dongle" which you plugged into the side of you computer (in a usb port)
Same as Ive got at the mo on PAYG

With a mobile wi-fi hotspot you put the data card into the device and it creates your very own wi-fi.
So Im guessing no signal needed?

The device cost me €49 and I have a contract with Vodafone Portugal for €37.37 per month for "unlimited" usage. There are endless different data packages you can
buy from the phone company (in my case Vodafone).

You have to charge it's battery up which I do easily through a normal car usb charger.

Sounds good
, how much better than the dongle is it?

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I bought a Vodafone R205 mobile hotspot thing which replaces the older (slower) model a couple of days ago and I would like to report that it is fantastic.

Three to four times faster... footy without pixels and pauses to stream the video... even Jolean and Edin look quick...:thumb:

Well pleased.

I can confirm that JJ, as I bought one about 2 weeks ago and loaded €50 on it and it runs 2 comps and my I phone brilliant better than just dongle if you have multiple machines to run on the internet Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Xan

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
Anyone considering buying one of these gadgets should make sure it supports HSPA+ which is pretty much the fastest standard for 3G data.
Also, make sure it is unlocked, meaning it will work with any mobile operators network.

Don't go for a 4G one unless you have a 4G data sim (EE), they're much more expensive.

I myself use a Huawei E586E on T-Mobile.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Not to bothered on the amount of devices, as long as its faster than me dongle:thumb:

Just wondering whats to stop others using your hot spot??

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I think you have got it... your dongle needs a signal from the mobile network. The only difference is that with the wi-fi device it is easy to connect other devices... so, for example, at the moment Frankie and I have our phones connected and Frankie has her netbook online all at the same time. We don't rely on finding unlocked wi-fi hotspots (such as McDonalds) but obviously use them when they are available.

JJ :Cool:

Xan

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
Tim, your hotspot will have a password. You can keep the default or change it to what you want. You can change the hotspot name too, to something humorously vulgar of course.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How are these things different than connecting through your phone?

Xan

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
Not many people have phones that can create a wifi hotspot. My Nexus 4 can, but I prefer to use the my-fi device as that way I keep my phone charged up.

Also, you can't browse with a phone, and create a hotspot at the same time.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Not many people have phones that can create a wifi hotspot. My Nexus 4 can, but I prefer to use the my-fi device as that way I keep my phone charged up.

Yep , mine (HTC explorer...quite simple but good enough for the use I make of it) does it , so when we'll be going through France this summer for a 3 weeks holidays in the UK , we'll be using my phone as a hotspot. It can accept as well 5 devices connected on, will have password just the same . Only difference is that mine is worth 2 Gb ...they call it unlimited ... but they will slow it down if we eat it all!! I'll have to tie up JJ I guess:roflmto:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008

iPhone 5 can browse and host at the same time, I've tried it with an iPod, iPad and macbook all tethered and streaming video while streaming on the iPhone. I've only had this phone for a few months so maybe it's a new thing. :Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Works on my old Nokia but you do get roaming costs, don't know how it compares dongles

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I think you have got it... your dongle needs a signal from the mobile network. The only difference is that with the wi-fi device it is easy to connect other devices... so, for example, at the moment Frankie and I have our phones connected and Frankie has her netbook online all at the same time. We don't rely on finding unlocked wi-fi hotspots (such as McDonalds) but obviously use them when they are available.

JJ :Cool:

JJ please change your admin password for the web page to the dongle NOW as some prat will be able to access it and change your password and so on. Thats seconds.......

It is a default password that they all know........

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Just one question about this. If you are out of UK will you incur higher charges for data use or does it not matter?

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I have an unlocked Huawei E5331 mifi from 3 running on the simcard from my old voda K3565 dongle - works great. It can handle up to 5 devices at the same time which is ,more than enough. :thumb: Reception has been good where ever I have used it :thumb: (only in UK, not been abroad yet) I found that in some places it was better using the 3 simcard.

I did ask Vodafone about using it in France and they have a daily charge :Angry: (can't remember how much) not likely to pay it, will just use free wifi where I find it unless I can get a better deal locally.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I have an unlocked Huawei E5331 mifi from 3 running on the simcard from my old voda K3565 dongle - works great. It can handle up to 5 devices at the same time which is ,more than enough. :thumb: Reception has been good where ever I have used it :thumb: (only in UK, not been abroad yet) I found that in some places it was better using the 3 simcard.

I did ask Vodafone about using it in France and they have a daily charge :Angry: (can't remember how much) not likely to pay it, will just use free wifi where I find it unless I can get a better deal locally.

I use same set up but only with 3 sim
I used to buy pay as u go sims at £20 for 3 gig from 3 but last one I got of eBay for £11 for 3 gig
It normally last me about 2 months
The huawei I bought unlocked of eBay for £40
Works a treat and would recommend it

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I am in France and use a French orange Sim card in my galaxy note phone and Tez can use my phone as a hotspot.
Costs me £34 a month on an Android plan, a lot i know but saves me hunting for a hotspot and a lot of the sites we use charge for WI fi here around 9 euro pet hour so saves us a hit, we don't use MacDonalds though.
we have got network in all the places w have been so far.
I canceled our plans in the uk while we were away and that was choosing us £30 a month so not much for just for the convenience of being able to use it 24/7.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Here is an interesting site if you own an unlocked mifi or dongle. Gives APNs for most operators and UK locations including Isle of Man, Channel Islands etc.
Hope it helps

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Well pleased.

I was just thinking now that is a good idea when I remembered that my S2 tethered with unlimited data does the same.:winky:
Joking aside, I do have one already that my son uses while he is over. using his US phone he can stay on line without running up huge bills. They are an excellent bit of kit.:thumb:

Deleted User
Here is an interesting site if you own an unlocked mifi or dongle. Gives APNs for most operators and UK locations including Isle of Man, Channel Islands etc.
Hope it helps

I have recently bought an unlocked dongle with a Europasim which uses Vodafone Italy presumably because there roaming charges are less.Would it be possible to use another service provider by utilizing APNs from the list with the same sim.

If this is not possible why would a list of APNs be necessary as this would be provided with the purchased sim.

I have always used dongles locked to a service provider in the past so,as is obvious, am not familiar with the use of unlocked dongles. I do know that I do not need a mifi defice as I only use one computer.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
I have recently bought an unlocked dongle with a Europasim which uses Vodafone Italy presumably because there roaming charges are less.Would it be possible to use another service provider by utilizing APNs from the list with the same sim.

If this is not possible why would a list of APNs be necessary as this would be provided with the purchased sim.

I have always used dongles locked to a service provider in the past so,as is obvious, am not familiar with the use of unlocked dongles. I do know that I do not need a mifi defice as I only use one computer.

The answer to your first question is no. You will only be able to use Vodafone simcard for Vodafone. If you bought say, a Three simcard they would assume you are going to use it in a Three device (unlocked or not, they would not know) so you will need to know the apn for that network.

The reason for posting this is to assist anyone who might need this information as I did when I decided to use my Vodafone dongle simcard in my unlocked Three Mifi.::bigsmile:

mikempg

Free Member
Apr 3, 2013
uk
Funster No
MH
mercedes sprinter class c
Exp
Don't want to go off topic , but thought it may be some use to users

If anyone doesn't have a Mifi but uses a Dongle, there are programs that you can create a wireless network from your laptop.
One is called Connectify Hotspot, its pretty stable, the free version does the job for me. This way im able to connect tablets or phones via a laptop instead. Not perfect , but better than owt! and a decent backup if the Mifi is out of power.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

[HI]Also, you can't browse with a phone, and create a hotspot at the same time[/HI].

All our phones can create Hotspots.

Using my iPhone 4 as the wifi Hotspot we have connected 4 devices all at the same time, my IPad streaming Sky Sports, wife on laptop streaming movies, the boys on iPad and Android Tablet streaming You Tube.

No buffering delays or pixelation, great picture quality and you can still browse on my iPhone as it's providing the Hotspot.

In UK we have a "3" unlimited with "All you can eat data" on contract....

Great signal from Ullapool to Dover........:thumb:

I just swop sims when we go abroad.......

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Just one question about this. If you are out of UK will you incur higher charges for data use or does it not matter?

yep - be careful using a UK sim abroad....can rack up costs...check your contract for roaming charges!

....unlocked allows you to buy a sim in another country...JJ is using Voda but here in the UK i think 3 has the best deal - 15gb per month ~£20 IIRC....unless anyone knows of a better deal :winky:

EDIT: giffgaff have some great tariffs....unlimited text and unlimited data from £12pm !!

I havent tried to unlock a mifi...yet...but you should be able to get these done in an independent store for £10-£20? anyone done this or had it done?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back