Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
most of the fix it again tony vans didnt make it to the mot station :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
fix it again tony
f i a t :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
At 31% the peugeot boxer is fractionally better than the simial fiat, both way better than mercedes!

Having once had a sprinter based motorhome, it was not exactly reliable!

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Anyone worked out the age of the vehicles? Probably not too many Fiat vans over 10 years old, whereas Mercedes?:restmycase:

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Ive got a sprinter and never had a problem yet,i fail to see how these figures that aren't even up to date and focus on heavy use,can determine the better van.Was the legendary judder taken into account,and when theyre talking about mot failures it could be for something trivial that doesn't warrant giving a vehicle a bad name,i'd sooner have a sprinter with a minor defect than a fiat with a judder problem:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
this list was I believe cars, I may be wrong. Merc cars rust well, merc chassis motorhomes do not. so how can you compare.

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
From this and other forums it would appear that many Fiats spend so much time in dock getting fixed that they cannot clock up the kinds of mileage needed to bring on MOT problems.

MOT information is of course an indication of how well a vehicle is maintained and prepared for MOT and NOT of its quality of manufacture.

The OPs use of the word 'outperforms' demonstrates why such data should not be released to untrained journos looking for a story.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
From this and other forums it would appear that many Fiats spend so much time in dock getting fixed that they cannot clock up the kinds of mileage needed to bring on MOT problems.

MOT information is of course an indication of how well a vehicle is maintained and prepared for MOT and NOT of its quality of manufacture.

The OPs use of the word 'outperforms' demonstrates why such data should not be released to untrained journos looking for a story.

More motorhome miles are done on Fiats than anything else so I suppose they are going to spend more time in the garage than some. Forum posting motorhome owners really are a very tiny minority of Britain's motorhomers. Prior to 2005 I've had a couple of Fiat based vehicles, done in excess of 100k in them and I can't remember a problem, they just pulled all day and I did what I do with all my vehicles, ignore them, hardly lifting the bonnet:Blush:

The OP term was correct. Outperformed others at MOT time is about right, and it would be a well trained journo that makes a story from that spreadsheet::bigsmile:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just a point.......very few X2/50's have reached the MOT age. So any comments on their ability to pass the test are pure conjecture.

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
There was a CAR satisfaction survey in the paper the other day The Suzuki was top followed by the Honda Jazz, second from bottom was Mercedes, as I say it was cars, food for thought. Unfortunately as a Jazz owner I was at the time more interested in that than the Fiats.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Fiat v The Rest,
Sorry find the whole argument is becoming quite sad, why all the debate?
Everyone surely makes there own decisions and lives with them, from the way the discussions are going I don't feel that we are really giving anyone buying there first motorhome a reasoned opinion.
Ok! some are for MB and are blinkered to anything else, and that seems to apply to other brand owners.
My oldest Sprinter has covered 73000 miles and touch wood not a single problem apart from replacement discs but on the other hand another with 18000 miles is an absolute disaster.
My Fiat based MH is so far perfect, but who knows the future, I have made my choice and will live with it but won't attempt to persuade others that it is the only way to go.
Will anyone agree with me?

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
i'd certainly agree with that. There are so many reasons for buying a particular vehicle, so its down to your own preference. I have always bought BMW's (wonder why they dont make MH'S), but now i have changed from an M5 to a toyota hilux which i love, and the reason i bought my fiat MH was because i liked the layout.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Buttons,
Where did you buy that big wooden spoon?
:Smile:

The vagabond

Free Member
Mar 6, 2009
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Fiat v The Rest,
Everyone surely makes there own decisions and lives with them, from the way the discussions are going I don't feel that we are really giving anyone buying there first motorhome a reasoned opinion.
Ok! some are for MB and are blinkered to anything else, and that seems to apply to other brand owners.
My oldest Sprinter has covered 73000 miles and touch wood not a single problem apart from replacement discs but on the other hand another with 18000 miles is an absolute disaster.
My Fiat based MH is so far perfect, but who knows the future, I have made my choice and will live with it but won't attempt to persuade others that it is the only way to go.
Will anyone agree with me?

I agree. This has a nauseating aire of "Mines better than yours" about it

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
which models judder ???

i keep hearing about this reverse problem , we have a 2.8 fiat ducato based bessacarr and no judder ever , is it a particular model problem ?????

:Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
i keep hearing about this reverse problem , we have a 2.8 fiat ducato based bessacarr and no judder ever , is it a particular model problem ?????

:Eeek:

Basically the 2006 on X250 chassis.

Previous ones are GREAT.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
fIAT HATERSim

im more than happy with my fiat 2.8 JTD Adria motorhome taken it twice to Morocco, once to france,italy, & twice to spain no problems just regular servicing by myself over
35,000 miles but take it into a main dealer and nothing but grief and pay over £75 AN
HOUR for the privilege, no thanks:RollEyes:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Weve only had ours since December 09 , no judder problems though.

Only problem We have is that we both keep lifting up the arm rest instead of the hand brake:ROFLMAO:
I guess We'll get used to it.

Last edited:

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
I think if a poster starts a thread with the title "Link Removed"
then they are inviting comments.

This has a nauseating aire of "Mines better than yours" about it
Only if you take it that way !! Other may see it as a stimulating debate about base vehicle quality. I for one don't mind being told Mercs fail their first MOT more than Fiats. I wave to all no matter what the base vehicle.

By the way, I have never seen a nauseating aire in France - maybe we only use nice ones.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
In hindsight my title should have been better worded. I have nothing against Merc's, Trannies or any other base vehicle some are great but as with Fiat some are dogs. It's just that it seems to me that Fiat have been singled out for some very unfair comments. Yes the x250 has suffered from reverse judder problems but Fiat are spending over £1000 a vehicle to try to rectify this. Other makes have had their problems over the years but as opposed to Fiat these problems have not raised the vitriol that has been directed at Fiat. My original post was just to try to redress the balance. ::bigsmile:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
In hindsight my title should have been better worded. I have nothing against Merc's, Trannies or any other base vehicle some are great but as with Fiat some are dogs. It's just that it seems to me that Fiat have been singled out for some very unfair comments. Yes the x250 has suffered from reverse judder problems but Fiat are spending over £1000 a vehicle to try to rectify this. Other makes have had their problems over the years but as opposed to Fiat these problems have not raised the vitriol that has been directed at Fiat. My original post was just to try to redress the balance. ::bigsmile:

And you think they would have done so had they not been publicly castigated for their reticence in addressing the issue?

I'll be a guinea pig for any new van, but at the manufacturers cost ,not mine.

I would expect such glaring issues to have been addressed at the prototype stage, there again that's maybe what you have been driving, prototypes.:restmycase:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
And you think they would have done so had they not been publicly castigated for their reticence in addressing the issue?

I'll be a guinea pig for any new van, but at the manufacturers cost ,not mine.

I would expect such glaring issues to have been addressed at the prototype stage, there again that's maybe what you have been driving, prototypes.:restmycase:

That is exactly my point, other manufacturers have put out vehicles with an inherent fault (and not always bothered to try to rectify it). The delay was because they had to investigate then design a fix. :Smile:

Johnnie Gee

Free Member
May 1, 2009
Near Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Fiat Haters

My last two motorhomes were fiatsOlder ones) and I can't fault them, :Smile::Smile:but I had a nasty experience with a Peugeot M/H which I bought from new and the gearbox gave up after 17 miles.

I had a new gearbox fitted and shortly afterwards the gearchanges tended to be "clunky".:Sad::Sad: I gook it back to the local Peugeot dealer who admitted that the torque reaction rod bolts on top of the engine had not been tightened to the correct torque when the gearbox had been replaced.

They put in a new rod c/w balljoints and charged me £170 for the priveledge. I told them that as the vehicle was only a few months old, it will still be under warranty, but was told, (now this is a good get out clause)They told me that they only repaired an item once, and after that, it was down to the owner:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I had to pay it to get it out of the workshop, and it took about 6 months to get the money back from the garage who had fitted the gearbox :Angry::Angry:
Will never buy another Peugeot, car or motorhome.

Has anyone else had the same experience???

JJ

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just an observation really no axe to grind, as I run a totaly superior American:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Fiat even though due to puplic outcry are rectifying the problem:thumb:
Whats MB doing about the Merc piston meltown @9k Euro to fix:Eeek: they are in total denial:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back