Foot Pumps

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by GeriatricWanderer, Apr 11, 2015.

1. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Now back in Sarfend for a couple of months.
    I've always carried a tyre pump in my toolkit. I tried the 12V electric jobby but found that to be OK for blowing up party balloons but not much else. Since then I've carried, but never used, a single cylinder footpump.
    Sadly, a willing helper accidently drove my van over the pump and I now need to get a replacement.
    I've browsed the usual sources for such things and most have gauges that read from 0 to 100 psi but having a gauge that shows that range doesn't mean it can inflate to that pressure - does it? My van speedo goes up to 110 mph but it would have to be a very steep, downward, hill for me to get close to that.
    So, learned members, can the average, Halfords type price/quality/ footpump get up to my tyre pressure of 65?
    Anyone got a specific recommendation?

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

tried a few over the past few years. Michelin and Halfords models.. and a double barreled Draper.. not the way they used to be built.. all have broken after a short time.. and all were hard work getting a tyre from zero to 30psi never mind 60psi

If you can find a brass Dunlop on ebay that may be better.. but I gave up

I've now invested in a Ring RAC 900 12v , as used by AA and RAC breakdown guys .. the dogs nuts (y)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. English Springer

English Springer

I carry a single cylinder foot pump from Halfords and find it gives me the 70/75 pressure required. This has been verified by getting a tyre reading using a different gauge.
    Hope that helps

• Like Like x 1
  4. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster

Aldi are selling a double cylinder foot pump from tomorrow (12th Apr) for £5.49
    They've got a range of cycling gear advertised.
    Can't go wrong because they offer a decent returns/warranty on non food items.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Abacist

Abacist Funster

I had what I thought was the dog's b******s in double barrel Michelin foot pump. Broke within 1 year - absolute c***!

I now have a german 12 volt compressor foot pump which can cope with pumping up my camper tyres to 80PSI!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster