LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Does Fon only allow you to use a certain amount of data? I thought you could just log onto a fon hotspot and use what you liked.
It's not great for streaming media and films because of the way it's set up. Great for Internet and email though

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ive yet to find out. Tried to set it up last night but I had little success. I did get on for a few mins before bed but was a fluke I think. I had the iboost on in MH outside house . The map showed lots of fonspots all in the same direction but only 2 showed up on iboost and I bet one was mine.
We are off for the weekend so no doubt it will keep me amused for a while at least attempting to connect.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Just for completeness, I use a 10.x.x.x address on my router but still got a clash in France on one occasion in the summer. Once I realised & changed to another 10.x.x.x address I got connected OK.
I guess I'm saying be aware, and don't give up if you don't get a connection first time.
I have found that sometimes the iPad will not bring up the sign-in screen via the router but the Lappy will every time just takes a bit longer to get it all out. May be something with Safari.
Steve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have found that sometimes the iPad will not bring up the sign-in screen via the router but the Lappy will every time just takes a bit longer to get it all out. May be something with Safari.
Steve
Need to clear cookies & cache also check the address in the browser, the ipad has a habit of putting a hidden "www" in front of the IP address.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Just set it up and managed to successfully log in to a neighbours BT-FON wifi signal which actually was faster than mine!

Quite a straightforward process, I found you had to press the button on the back on the Fon box once it was all plugged in though as until I did it kept saying wrong password even though it wasn't !

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
neighbours BT-FON wifi signal which actually was faster than mine!

When we were waiting for our BT Broadband to be connected we were allowed access to FON ................ the speed was twice as fast as our previous ADSL speed :eek:

I dunno about FON routers but the BT router will go as fast as possible if the 'owner' is not using data, then once in use priority goes to the owner.

So all you need is a neighbour who has SuperFast BT Broadband and does not use it when you do :cool:;) hehe

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Im actually using his/hers this morning as I write this!!

It must be putting out a mega strength signal as it shows full strength on my iPad and as I live on a corner plot the other houses near me are a bit further away than normal in a residential street

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Just got a fon era, and although I haven't found any hotspots yet, it works great as a booster for our middling speed home internet! Worth the money! Double bonus if we can use it in France in January!

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I have been using the FON system now for 3years across EU and in UK 90% of the time I get connected and surf away. I have the iBoost system all be it I have changed the router ( this year )to another TP-Link model as the old one failed, but it worked fine in some cases up to 700 metres away from MH. I have found that mounting the aerial part of iBoost system outside the MH makes a massive difference to signal strength. See my old posts for photo's of iBoost system mount.
In France you do need to change the IP address on the iBoost router from 192.168.?.? to? - in my case 192.168.168.? this works every time and brings up login page for FON.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Yeehah Im now onsite at Silloth and have the fon and iboost working. Just recuperated almost £20 on weekend internet fees already. :D:D
R-E-S-U-L-T !!!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Im actually using his/hers this morning as I write this!!

It must be putting out a mega strength signal as it shows full strength on my iPad and as I live on a corner plot the other houses near me are a bit further away than normal in a residential street
Must be good as ipad wifi is pretty useless compared to a laptop.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
I only got one 2 weeks ago??
Just got a message that the Fonera is no longer available. Here is what Fon has said....

The Fonera is not more available. But don't worry, you can still enjoy all the benefits of the Fon Community by **subscribing to any of our telco partners**. You can also buy easy access via our **WiFi passes** when you're out and about or by **downloading our new app** in select countries with more to come soon.

Best regards
Fon customer care

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Only had one a few months myself...
Wonder what will happen... They seem to be saying you must now suscribe to BT in some way.. I wonder does that mean you have to be a BT customer now... ??
And what happens with existing fonera customers...
Lots of questions... fingers crossed..
Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
In Belgium, I could pick Fon, get onto the homepage, but there was only a login for the phone companies subscribers. If this is the way it is going to go even if you are a customer of the phone company you would only be able to use Fon in you own country, useless to us Motorhomers.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It's looking good guys, here's my question and their answer, looks like if you already have a Fon router business as usual.

• Lenny Blann Today at 12:24
    What is the current situation with independent Fon users?
    I have a Fon router purchased from Fon, am I still able to log onto Fon hotspots throughout Europe for free?
    Recently in Belgium I could not logon as the phone companies Fon login page only allowed their customers to log on.

• Broken Link Removed
    Maciej Gawdzis Today at 14:39
    Hi Lenny,

Thank you for your inquiry,

Yes, as a sharing member you should easily be able to access all our branded hotspots, containing( "_FON") in their respective signal ID.
    Please find further information o how to login in Belgium here:
    Broken Link Removed
    We have had some issues with the Proximus network in mid - end October, but these issues are solved now.

Feel free to contact us again for further assistance,

Thank you

Kind regards

Maciej
    Fon Customer Care

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@elamessa
I just had an email back from fon. This is what it said.

HI Sandra,

That is actually not a confirmed source of information,

The user there refers to a different unit from 2006 that has been discontinued.
In order to login to your UserZone please use the following link: https://fon.com/login/
Provide there your credentials ( Email adress you used for redistration(username) and your password).

Kind regards

Maciej
Fon Customer Care

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
That only allows you to register an existing router, can't find anywhere on their site where you can buy a new one.
That's how I read it..
You can no longer purchase a fonera but they say you can still log on as normal if you have one..
I suppose it's a question of watch this space!!
Ta Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Either they have been leaned on by their partners or they are looking at making more cash out of their paid access, probably a bit of both, I suspect their partners get a percentage of the paid access fee as it's on their network.
Fingers crossed us who already have Fon routers will continue to get free access.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I have a brand new fon router sat on my table.
Pm me if you are interested in buying it.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
@elamessa
I just had an email back from fon. This is what it said.

HI Sandra,

That is actually not a confirmed source of information,

The user there refers to a different unit from 2006 that has been discontinued.
In order to login to your UserZone please use the following link: https://fon.com/login/
Provide there your credentials ( Email adress you used for redistration(username) and your password).

Kind regards

Maciej
Fon Customer Care
@irnbru
As others have said you can still log on if you are a current user, but there is nowhere on the site to purchase a fonera!

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It's really disappointing that FON has discontinued the scheme but it's been a long time coming. BT have been trying to edge their way out of the scheme to go it alone under BTWiFi and I guess there was other pressures from other operators. Those buying Foneras were doing so to access data rather than be part of the community which was always going to happen.

Looking at the number of people who have viewed our Guide to FON I suspect we contributed in a small way and knowing what I know of Motorhomers usage from our EuropaSIM days we are pretty high demand subscribers!

FON have said "We confirm that the Fonera is no longer available . It will not affect the free roaming privileges from the Foneras owners account. Right now we have no plans to expire this benefit.". They have also said that the Fonera is still available form some of it's 'Partners' but are very vague on that point. Will a second hand Fonera from eBay or one imported from the USA work? Perhaps a Funster can shed light on that.

It was a great scheme while it lasted and one we championed right from the start of this business. I hope that funsters can continue to benefit from it for the foreseeable future.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back