Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Ahhhh.light bulb moment for a very dim Bertie. That Fon that's illuminated is that part of your box which BT provides for other users. WE can't access that as it's separate from our BT account just as outside FON users can't get at our bit of the box. Stupid Bertie should have twigged when you said at home!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Should have added, at home my box is the same though it doesn't show up on my phone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ahhhh.light bulb moment for a very dim Bertie. That Fon that's illuminated is that part of your box which BT provides for other users. WE can't access that as it's separate from our BT account just as outside FON users can't get at our bit of the box. Stupid Bertie should have twigged when you said at home!
So do you meen we can't connect to our own box with fon, I have never been able to connect with that choice in my list anywhere though, even though it says I have an excellent connection, mystery to me.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Interestingly, I can access my Fon connection as well as the visitor connection and the normal router one but we have Virgin Media, not BT.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Yep the FON part is for other people and not part of our account. There is obviously some issue with your account and as has been mentioned earlier it might be as simple as having a different email on your main bt account.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yep the FON part is for other people and not part of our account. There is obviously some issue with your account and as has been mentioned earlier it might be as simple as having a different email on your main bt account.
I have only one email address, the same one I have had for over 10 years.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What gets me though is it says I am connected with excellent signal but it just won't work(n):(

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
What gets me though is it says I am connected with excellent signal but it just won't work(n):(

I can imagine your frustration, but until an expert comes along I don't think either of us is going to find the answer. Grr:(

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can imagine your frustration, but until an expert comes along I don't think either of us is going to find the answer. Grr:(
Yeah cheers mate, don't have to rely on it so it's not drastic but it just gets tome when something doesn't work when it's that close to working.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have been trying to resolve this for nearly a year, Addie helped me get it to connect but that's as far as it's got.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I have a Fon account and a Fon router at home connected to my VM broadband.
When I connect to any fon hotspot it is a two stage affair.

The first step is to connect to the WiFi hotspot by selecting it and waiting for it to complete. No passwords at this stage, its just a WiFi & IP address negotiation as usual as per any open/ unsecured hotspot.

The second step is to "enable traffic" and gain internet access. All I do is open a browser, which almost always redirects to the BT/fon login page and I login.

Done.

Sometimes the redirect to the login page doesn't load automatically, so I just try to browse to google and this encourages the redirect to kick in. After logging in I leave the browser page open.

So if step 1 works ok for you, are you getting the login page in step 2? If not I would suspect a browser problem ie have you got a proxy server set

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Sorry just reread the thread...

Just to be clear, bt-wifi and bt-wifi-with-fon are two separate and distinct hotspots and need two separate actions to connect.

The bt-wifi hotspots are private secured networks normally accessed/connected to using the key printed on the back of the router. Normally you only have to enter this key code once as it gets remembered by the PC or tablet or phone

The bt-wifi-with-fon are open unsecured hotspots that anyone can connect to at the WiFi level(step 1), but only allow internet access after you log on through a browser(step 2). To access the internet you must logon every time through the browser (step 2) after every connect/reconnect of WiFi (step 1)

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for that, but it won't go to any webpage, the thingy just keeps going round and round then eventually it says I don't have an Internet connection.
No where to put a password in, please don't go to a lot of trouble over this , as I say it's not drastic but just thought someone might know straight off.
I have never had any sense out of it but as I say always found some wifi or other, it's just bugging me that other people reckon it's the best thing since sliced bread and I can't get anything out of it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are you connecting direct or via a router? It could be a conflict of IP's, are you using fixed IP's or DHCP?
If using a router check that the WAN IP that it is picking up from the FON is not in the same range as the LAN IP of the router, I had that problem in France took a week before I twigged what was wrong.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I have found that those people at Motorhomewifi.com are very helpful, know FON well and will happily give advice whether you bought from them or not.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The bt-wifi hotspots are private secured networks normally accessed/connected to using the key printed on the back of the router. Normally you only have to enter this key code once as it gets remembered by the PC or tablet or phone
If you have bt broadband, and have everything set up correctly, the connection to bt wifi hotspots is automatic on mobile devices and at no time do you need the routers password, unless you want to connect directly to that routers connection...which is not a free wifi hotspot....you then use that persons internet account.
you only have to select the one you want from the list of hotspots.
if you dont have a bt broadband account you can connect to the hotspot, but not the internet.
the only time have to input a routers password is if it isnt a bt router.....ie: daughters SKY router...and that a one off action.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you have bt broadband, and have everything set up correctly, the connection to bt wifi hotspots is automatic on mobile devices and at no time do you need the routers password, unless you want to connect directly to that routers connection...which is not a free wifi hotspot....you then use that persons internet account.
you only have to select the one you want from the list of hotspots.
if you dont have a bt broadband account you can connect to the hotspot, but not the internet.
the only time have to input a routers password is if it isnt a bt router.....ie: daughters SKY router...and that a one off action.
I know all this and as I said not drastic, but in my list of connections it is there and says it is connected and the wifi thing comes up but it just won't do anything, never had it work anywhere , here or france, just happen to be trying it at home because that's where I am now, and it's not just this ipad it's the same on all our things about 4 phones , same amount various tablets says it's there but isn't.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it is there and says it is connected
Yes it is connected....to the wifi only, not the internet.
your bt account needs setting up properly for free hotspots whether it be fon or not
have you registered and requested the function.

Took me ages to get it right.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Yes it is connected....to the wifi only, not the internet.
your bt account needs setting up properly for free hotspots whether it be fon or not
have you registered and requested the function.

Took me ages to get it right.

It seems to me that the immediate issue is that Chaser is able to connect to the "bt-wifi-with-fon" but is not getting the log in page. No login webpage = no login = no internet access

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
To recap and help diagnose the issue further, can you answer these please
1) Have you tried other Fon hotspots other than your own? If so, did you get the same result?
2) Can you connect to "bt-wifi" and check what IP address you get
3) Can you connect to "bt-wifi-with-fon" and check what IP address you get
4) Are the first three octets of the IP addresses the same with both networks? ie. 192.168.10.XXX
5) Obvious I know, but have you tried the switching on/off your router lately?
Cheers
Steve

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is on my phone, though I can change it toDHCP whatever that is when I don't get anything in these boxes, neither work
image.jpg

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is the one that works
image.jpg

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Thanks Chaser...
If you set your phone to DHCP with "bt-wifi-with-fon", what IP address do you get?

I ask, as you have the same address range for both networks right now... ie. 192.168.1.XXX and I'm sure they need to be different...

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
As a test, I have just connected to my neighbours "btwifi-with-fon" (step 1) and when I start a browser (step 2), I get this screen...
upload_2015-2-23_13-48-1.png

I log in with the "fon" option and away I go...

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
My "btwifi-with-fon" connection & IP address settings (via DHCP) are these...
upload_2015-2-23_13-52-25.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As a test, I have just connected to my neighbours "btwifi-with-fon" (step 1) and when I start a browser (step 2), I get this screen...
View attachment 55224
I log in with the "fon" option and away I go...
I have seen that first photo, once or twice when in france but never been able to get past it, anyway I have been on the bt wifi site and loged in and checked I am opted in and all that , all seems ok , so going to try again when I'm out somewhere, busy now but maybe later this afternoon.
Thanks for all your help, I might add, although in this thread I might appear to be a bit ofa numpty , it's not the case and I can usually work anything out with computers and stuff, been on them since the beginning and that is the main reason this is bugging me so, got me compleatly baffled :doh:

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I have seen that first photo, once or twice when in france but never been able to get past it,
Sounds like you have two separate issues then... Not getting the login page is the first & worst, then maybe an account/login id problem after that...
Did you try the "btwifi-with-fon" using DHCP? (it should always be DHCP) If so, what IP address did you get?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If I change it toDHCP I don't get any options, no list of address