Following on from tachos (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
How long do u drive a day. Say if u leave your home and your heading say for benidorm for instance. Do u drive 3 or 4 hrs ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Anything between 1 and 24 hours. Depending on the weather and mood. Thats cos I can :D.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A legend in his own lifetime was a man by the name of Andrew Wilson Young. He worked on the Middle East run, and the best time he ever did was Carlisle-Baghdad-Carlisle in 14 days. That is no mean feat when you consider its 8000 miles. Add to that the numerous border crossings and customs checks and paperwork that had to be stamped, as this was long before the days of the EU. The best time I ever managed was Manchester-Baghdad-Manchester in 20 days. I think I only had 10 hours sleep in that 20 days, so how the hell he did it I dont know. I tend to take a more leisurely pace nowadays, but I have done Manchester-Benidorm on the RN and pitched up with the mat and chair out and cold beer in hand in 23 hours including ferry Dover-Calais with an RV and trailer.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
On a relaxed trip I like to drive a couple of hours in the morning, lunch then another couple of hours and find an Aire..

but as Dave said it all depends on the weather and mood..

Years ago I thought nothing of it to drive 12 hours or more.. I once drove from Scotland to St Tropez non stop.. in an MG Midget .. only rest was on the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry .. madness I say .. madness.

no point now.. the journey is as much part of the trip as the destination..

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I drive untill iam feed up, bored, tired, need a wee, need food could be 2hrs or 10. Will try to stop every couple of hrs if on a long run what ever.
Dont do "have too anymore" INJOY

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I use to load 80k south of Rome a place called pomazzia. I left at 1600 on a Thursday and be in brum for around 2130 on a Friday night. But sometimes if I was parked up for the weekend at one of the cabbage patches...( bp truck stops) for 24 hrs or more wen it was time to leave sometimes I could only do about an hour cos I was bolloxed.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Due to time limitations we often travel late and in one go.. Can be up to 8 hrs with a couple of small breaks.. Would rather take it easier but we just want to use all available time away.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Like JimScotland. Every trip is a relaxed trip I drive a couple of hours in the morning, lunch then another couple of hours (3 hrs max) and find an Aire or other stop. I do this at home or abroad.

I have done long marathons when I had my own buses and also later driving for another operator. That was before Tachos. I was not uncommon to start at 6am on contacts then do school run and school baths with a lunch break till it was time to do the reverse school run then the contract return. It was then time to get your tea before a private hire that could involve you being out till 2 or 3 am. It was often possible to get your head down while the party were enjoying their evening.

Blackpool Illuminations added to this routing with a trip from the north east to Blackpool then return empty. You then had to be ready for the Saturday day trip including a run through the lights before returning overnight. Sunday it was a run down to pick up at tea time and return them back home. At least the load got on and off itself and you learned to snatch any opportunity to kip on the back seat. I saw to many young men having heart attacks and decided at 29 enough was enough and I gave it up and went back to college.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Having just endured a Driver CPC course, apart from being a money making exercise and of no great benefit , to fill time we viewed video footage of some really bad Traffic Accidents, many fatal. All caused by addiction to the mobile phone, fatigue , and loss of concentration. In one clip a young child in the rear seat is calling "Wake up Daddy" Daddy and mummy are no longer with us, his baby brother beside him is gazing to the sky.
In a former life I have had the terrible task of informing next of kin they no longer have a son or daughter,
these memories never leave you.
I know we have all done the epic journeys at some time or other, but is there any real need for it? There is always tomorrow !
Stay safe out there and don' t become another statistic.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Didn't buy a motorhome to see how long I can drive it. Like many above, I have done the marathon runs in a coach, car and caravan etc but not any more.

An 8 hour day with a couple of good breaks is an absolute maximum but I would prefer a lot less. If I have been driving for a couple of hours and not seen anything interesting I am not in the right place!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i thought the idea was you just drive till you find a nice place to stop. might be 1ml might be 50ml. dont use tollroads or motorways as there isnt nice places on them . sometimes its only from one side of a village to the other side.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I like the drive and the scenery, a prolonged drive up the A5 is better by miles than the rush of the M1/6 I like the 56 mph economy mode it is more relaxing and not as tense as the same speed in the lorry queue. Don't go too far as fuel cost govern my travels now. Going to Scotland tomorrow with a break at NEC Show, then onto the A1 / A68 and around coast coming back.

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
done Forest of Dean to Rome Fiumicino in 22hrs on the bike at legal speeds
and Bracknell to Grossglockner in 19hrs 59mins in a PCV (2 man crew but the other muppet 'couldn't drive at night')

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My longest:
Kendal - Luton Airport - Kendal (after work one Friday evening taking parents to airport)
Ramsgate - Lyon / meal break / Montelimar on Norton Model 50 two-up
Kendal - Pisa - Kendal in 9 days same bike.

Now I do around two hours, have a brew, continue. M'way cruise 65mph but try to avoid them. No point in hurrying when you're carrying the means to have a leisurely brew, loo, snooze.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think a lot depends on whether you actually enjoy driving or not..
For me, it def is not a chore. Simply love driving / riding and have done all my life..
Did Aberdeen and back in a day ( 900 mile round trip ) back in the 80's on a CX500..
More recently did a return trip from Lake Garda in a day on the Blackbird and even more recently There in a day and back in a day in the Smarty with Woman and camping gear for 10 days !

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I take a break every 3 hours or so when my wife takes over for the next 3! That way we can cover more ground and relax. We usually leave early about 7 am and drive for about 2 hours then stop for brekky while the remainder of the rush hour finishes,then on till lunch when we should be very near or at our campsite. If we are only staying on a site for one night we try to arrive by midday when we have the afternoon left to explore.
I have done Calais to Ancona in 4 days and return in 3-that's fast enough when on holiday!

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I like the drive and the scenery, a prolonged drive up the A5 is better by miles than the rush of the M1/6 I like the 56 mph economy mode it is more relaxing and not as tense as the same speed in the lorry queue. Don't go too far as fuel cost govern my travels now. Going to Scotland tomorrow with a break at NEC Show, then onto the A1 / A68 and around coast coming back.

The A68 from Darlington up to A69 at corbridge is on my list of great runs with a view and of course a stop at the butchers in tow law for pork pies

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Like most on here, did the long drives when children were young and we only had limited time to enjoy the holiday destination. Now we have all the time in the world, so 2 hours max then at least 1/2 hour break then another 2 hour then think about somewhere to stop, it's great being a motor homer. (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think a lot depends on whether you actually enjoy driving or not..
For me, it def is not a chore. Simply love driving / riding and have done all my life..
Did Aberdeen and back in a day ( 900 mile round trip ) back in the 80's on a CX500..
More recently did a return trip from Lake Garda in a day on the Blackbird and even more recently There in a day and back in a day in the Smarty with Woman and camping gear for 10 days !
Yep - still like that although I tire more easily these days (especially on M'ways - I think it's boredom). Love driving though - and I'm not really bothered what it is I drive. The MH is the easiest & most relaxing vehicle I've ever driven.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Having just endured a Driver CPC course, apart from being a money making exercise and of no great benefit , to fill time we viewed video footage of some really bad Traffic Accidents, many fatal. All caused by addiction to the mobile phone, fatigue , and loss of concentration. In one clip a young child in the rear seat is calling "Wake up Daddy" Daddy and mummy are no longer with us, his baby brother beside him is gazing to the sky.
In a former life I have had the terrible task of informing next of kin they no longer have a son or daughter,
these memories never leave you.
I know we have all done the epic journeys at some time or other, but is there any real need for it? There is always tomorrow !
Stay safe out there and don' t become another statistic.

Bumping this. It is so important.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
2-2.5 hours maximum without stopping then maybe another hour or two if necessary after a long break. Accidents happen so easily so not worth pushing it more than that. That's why we need to be retired to go to Portugal with the motorhome :) so for now we have to fly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back